• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our ILB depth

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a word, pathetic. If anything happens to Smith or Trevathan, yikes. Here's the current list of candidates to help fill this position:

Chicago Bears 2020 Position Battles: Who’ll be the third inside linebacker?

This batch can be described anywhere from whatever to say what???? I have to believe Pace & co have their eyes on the market for any experienced ILB that either remains available or they're keeping an eye out for various teams' cut lists.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, did you honestly think 5'11 Kevin Pierre-Louis was going to do a good job last year after Roquan got hurt?

ILB is now the RB of the defense. It has lost a lot of its importance. It ain't quite as interchangeable as RB - but it's 21st out of 22. And really 22nd out of 23 if you include your Nickel.

I am worried about losing Goldman. I am not worried about this.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, did you honestly think 5'11 Kevin Pierre-Louis was going to do a good job last year after Roquan got hurt?

No, but then again I'm not sure what this has to do with the price of tea in China.

ILB is now the RB of the defense. It has lost a lot of its importance. It ain't quite as interchangeable as RB - but it's 21st out of 22. And really 22nd out of 23 if you include your Nickel.

ILB in a 3-4 defense has lost a lot of its importance? Uh...ok, if you say so.

I am worried about losing Goldman. I am not worried about this.
Thanks for stating the obvious. This isn't an either/or scenario here. Of course losing Eddie is worrisome and losing a starter, especially a talented starter, always trumps the importance of finding quality backups for any position. But that still has no bearing on the need of having quality personnel to fill in when either or both of our two star ILBs get hurt - as both are prone to do.

I think you're grasping here richi just for the sake of grasping.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but then again I'm not sure what this has to do with the price of tea in China.

Thanks for stating the obvious. This isn't an either/or scenario here. Of course losing Eddie is worrisome and losing a starter, especially a talented starter, always trumps the importance of finding quality backups for any position. But that still has no bearing on the need of having quality personnel to fill in when either or both of our two star ILBs get hurt - as both are prone to do.

I think you're grasping here richi just for the sake of grasping.

I never painted it as an either/or. Simply stating that one thing is a concern and the other is not, IMO. You do not HAVE to choose one. That's just how it plays out for me.

The 3-4 is a gap control defensive scheme. ILB's used to be of paramount importance when the league was run heavy or at least maintained a split ratio. ILB's have less responsibility in the passing game covering. Generally splitting the intermediate area in half, getting into the flat on a screen, etc. They are not leaned much in the passing game and do not have to cover much area. In today's NFL, that renders them the least important position on the field in a defensive alignment.

Defense in the NFL is now all about "rush and cover". ILB's don't rush much and they are relied on to cover very little. This makes it a position that is easy to look good at when those two elements are in place. Hence, Kwit and KPL looking like borderline studs last year when called off the bench.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more worried about Goldman's opt out's effect on the ILB position. Goldman required 2 blockers on running plays inside, freeing up a LB to make a play. If you can single block his replacement, it is a problem regardless of who is playing ILB.