• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Other Preseason Games 8/9/2012

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK the officiating is starting to be concerning. In the HOF game on a punt the guy downed it and slid into the endzone and they placed it where he first touched it instead of giving it a touchback like it should have been.

In the Redskins game the Bills downed a punt on the 5 yard line... the 5 yard line... and they called it a touchback.

Yeah, they thought it went into the endzone, but I didn't see how they thought that it would have bounced into the endzone and then out in the air that high and recovered at the four, but whatever. It seemed like they just didn't see it or a part of it. From your post I had assumed that there was some confusion with someone going into and then out of the endzone and eligibility rules (if the replacement refs were confused on the rules).

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they thought it went into the endzone, but I didn't see how they thought that it would have bounced into the endzone and then out in the air that high and recovered at the four, but whatever. It seemed like they just didn't see it or a part of it. From your post I had assumed that there was some confusion with someone going into and then out of the endzone and eligibility rules (if the replacement refs were confused on the rules).

None of the above - the Bills player caught it at the four, the ref threw the marker at the four - but for some unexplicable reason they put the ball at the 20. It was reversed on IR - but still, quite strange - probably nerves. It is only going to get worse I fear.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of the above - the Bills player caught it at the four, the ref threw the marker at the four - but for some unexplicable reason they put the ball at the 20. It was reversed on IR - but still, quite strange - probably nerves. It is only going to get worse I fear.

Ahh, thanks for the explanation. When I couldn't see their line of thinking, I was throwing everything I could at the wall... but one possibility I didn't account for was that one ref recognized the correct spot at the four. I assumed all of them f'd up. That's even worse if one knows what is right and doesn't question the other... but maybe he did and lost.

I share your :burt:. The real refs are really wishing that these refs f it up. If I were them, I'd think, "you know we will eventually be back, let me make it worth your while to totally screw this up... then we'll hire you assuming that these weren't real blunders." Wouldn't actually do it or and know that nobody would do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The really really strange thing about that punt ruling is that on the replays you can see one of the officials watching it happen. He dropped his beanbag and waved to stop the clock and made the right call after the Bills guy downed it at the 4 yard line. But for some strange reason one of the Bills danced the endzone line and tried to keep his feet in the field of play even though he didn't have the ball, I guess he was just practicing... and that apparently confused the line judge or back judge because one of them ruled it a touchback since the guy without the ball who tried to dance the line stepped on the endzone line.

The real issue is that the guy who saw the play and made the call, just went along with the other person who was completely wrong and just assumed something he didn't even see.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The really really strange thing about that punt ruling is that on the replays you can see one of the officials watching it happen. He dropped his beanbag and waved to stop the clock and made the right call after the Bills guy downed it at the 4 yard line. But for some strange reason one of the Bills danced the endzone line and tried to keep his feet in the field of play even though he didn't have the ball, I guess he was just practicing... and that apparently confused the line judge or back judge because one of them ruled it a touchback since the guy without the ball who tried to dance the line stepped on the endzone line.

The real issue is that the guy who saw the play and made the call, just went along with the other person who was completely wrong and just assumed something he didn't even see.

Exactly. This is what I ruled out... but then it actually was the case. So I'm confused, too. I'm just glad it wasn't one of our guys practicing in a real close game after using up our challenges.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I saw Flynn, I saw Tebow (not football-wise, but rather because of the number, the new Seattle jerseys, and I'm a bit color blind).

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bradford looks really good in Brian Shotty's offense

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Luck 1/1 - 63Yds - 1Td

LOL!

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Luck 1/1 - 63Yds - 1Td

LOL!

I still feel like Ross Perot from the Simpsons that the 49ers weren't lucky enough to have a QB that was NFL ready to take #1 Overall.

images

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck Update:

AL is now 5/6 for 113 Yards & 2 TD's - No Ints

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love St. Louis' strategy here - Lull Luck into a sense that it is going to be this easy when the season begins - Brilliant!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still feel like Ross Perot from the Simpsons that the 49ers weren't lucky enough to have a QB that was NFL ready to take #1 Overall.

images

Yeah, that wasn't our FO's finest hour (or 6 years as it turned out). I don't think either Smith or Rodgers would have been race ready right out of college, but we had put ourselves in a position where we needed that type of rescue. Then we picked the wrong QB between the two - My face is barely beginning to release from my palm - hopefully this year we will be rewarded for our patience.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck Update:

AL is now 5/6 for 113 Yards & 2 TD's - No Ints

So after starting:
5/6 for 113 Yards & 2 TD's

AL finished by going:
5/10 for 75 Yards & 0 TD's

Clearly this guy "AL" isn't very good!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't want to make a new thread for this and I'm saying flat out that I would have 0 interest in him but the Jaguars cut Lee Evans after he was inactive for their first preseason game. It probably should not feel this way but it feels strange that he is 31 already.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after starting:
5/6 for 113 Yards & 2 TD's

AL finished by going:
5/10 for 75 Yards & 0 TD's

Clearly this guy "AL" isn't very good!

Hopefully the Colts cut their losses and trade him to the 49ers

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully the Colts cut their losses and trade him to the 49ers

Wow, look at you, the little risk taker! AL over Alex, hmmm? Well, we've seen what Harbaugh can do with QBs, perhaps he can make something out of AL.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I saw Flynn, I saw Tebow (not football-wise, but rather because of the number, the new Seattle jerseys, and I'm a bit color blind).

I thought about how much Seattle is mirroring the 49ers. Flynn was playing the ultimate game manager roll last night. Nothing but safe passes and taking sacks instead of pushing for the endzone.

I guess Pete Carroll took on that old football saying... that if you can't beat 'em, copy 'em.

Looks like Smith and Flynn are going to duke it out for the 2012 NFL Game Manager MVP

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought about how much Seattle is mirroring the 49ers. Flynn was playing the ultimate game manager roll last night. Nothing but safe passes and taking sacks instead of pushing for the endzone.

I guess Pete Carroll took on that old football saying... that if you can't beat 'em, copy 'em.

Looks like Smith and Flynn are going to duke it out for the 2012 NFL Game Manager MVP

GM-MVP!