• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Vancouver People

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone see mattola lately?

:bolt:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"He found 66 per cent of owners had non-anglicized Chinese names, which he said implies they're new arrivals."

That is indeed racist.

What wouldn't be racist, however, is simply finding out where the homebuyers actually call home, and that would actually give you an answer. His exercise is just stupid - it's like going to Woodbridge, ON, and doing a survey on Italian names and concluding that there must be a fuck ton of residents of Rome and Milan buying homes there.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"He found 66 per cent of owners had non-anglicized Chinese names, which he said implies they're new arrivals."

That is indeed racist.

What wouldn't be racist, however, is simply finding out where the homebuyers actually call home, and that would actually give you an answer. His exercise is just stupid - it's like going to Woodbridge, ON, and doing a survey on Italian names and concluding that there must be a fuck ton of residents of Rome and Milan buying homes there.

how the hell do you do the bold "simply"? unless youre saying find out what country these home buyers are citizens of which i dont know is possible from public documents.

while i agree that just going by non-anglicized names on land title searches doesnt mean the buyer is a foreigner , bringing cries of racism into the discussion seems to be just another "look the other way" tactic being purported by those with the most to lose

The banks are complicit (surprised?) in whats going on here In Vancouver, a Supreme Court case showed that one lender, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, had assisted such transactions. The case arose when a CIBC financial adviser allowed a wealthy Chinese client to route two deposits of $50,000 through her private accounts to buy a home, leading to the dismissal of the banker for “commingling” her own funds with her client’s.

meanwhile the dopes in government are just looking the other way while foreigners are evading taxes

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even more stunning, the study shows that of all self-declared occupations among owners — on homes worth an average $3.05 million — 36 per cent were housewives or students with little income.

And 18 per cent of the 172 homes purchased were not mortgaged by banks. That means roughly $100 million in questionable cash was poured into Vancouver’s west side from August 2014 to February 2015, much of it from China. Total value of all homes sold in the study period was $525 million.

wake up cra ... look at the substance of these transactions ... banks are giving out mortgages to students/homemakers who declare zero income ??? ... CAMAN!!! :L

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how the hell do you do the bold "simply"? unless youre saying find out what country these home buyers are citizens of which i dont know is possible from public documents.

while i agree that just going by non-anglicized names on land title searches doesnt mean the buyer is a foreigner , bringing cries of racism into the discussion seems to be just another "look the other way" tactic being purported by those with the most to lose

The banks are complicit (surprised?) in whats going on here In Vancouver, a Supreme Court case showed that one lender, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, had assisted such transactions. The case arose when a CIBC financial adviser allowed a wealthy Chinese client to route two deposits of $50,000 through her private accounts to buy a home, leading to the dismissal of the banker for “commingling” her own funds with her client’s.

meanwhile the dopes in government are just looking the other way while foreigners are evading taxes
Never meant that the procedure would be simple. If studies were simple everybody would be doing them. Hell, maybe that's the problem.

But it is pretty racist to deduce that because the last name isn't "anglicized" they're more likely to be "new arrivals". The 2011 census had 52% of Vancouverites as visible minorities, including 30% Chinese. It's not unrealistic that 3 neighbourhoods would be 2/3's Chinese.

And as far as a "look the other way" tactic is concerned, I would argue that by bringing such a BS statistic into the fray is racializing the study more than it is people crying racism. The report likely held water without throwing filler like that in there.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even more stunning, the study shows that of all self-declared occupations among owners — on homes worth an average $3.05 million — 36 per cent were housewives or students with little income.

And 18 per cent of the 172 homes purchased were not mortgaged by banks. That means roughly $100 million in questionable cash was poured into Vancouver’s west side from August 2014 to February 2015, much of it from China. Total value of all homes sold in the study period was $525 million.

wake up cra ... look at the substance of these transactions ... banks are giving out mortgages to students/homemakers who declare zero income ??? ... CAMAN!!! :L
I don't think that's a CRA issue, that looks like more of a OSFI matter.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's a CRA issue, that looks like more of a OSFI matter.

people are evading taxation (capital gains) because these sham transactions are set up in a student or homemakers name

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that case, yeah.

But I think capital gains taxes suck so...

pretty sweet deal ... buy a house in your kids name ... send your kids to UBC for 6 months of studying ... principal residence status achieved during that timeline ... sell house at a gain (with no tax) as other mainland chinese are looking to move funds out of china ... artificially inflate the market and do it all over again after summer break is over

i think ive said it before on here ... only 1 thing is truly gonna make this scheme collapse (because government isnt doing a thing about it) ... an earthquake :ohwell:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
U niversity of
B eijing
C hina

I wonder if Stanley Yan (who produced the "debated" study) would find this comment racist ???

/Ive heard a less subtle definition of the UBC acronym :L

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw Stanley Yan ... any relation ???

hqdefault.jpg

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty sweet deal ... buy a house in your kids name ... send your kids to UBC for 6 months of studying ... principal residence status achieved during that timeline ... sell house at a gain (with no tax) as other mainland chinese are looking to move funds out of china ... artificially inflate the market and do it all over again after summer break is over

i think ive said it before on here ... only 1 thing is truly gonna make this scheme collapse (because government isnt doing a thing about it) ... an earthquake :ohwell:
Oh the same shit is happening here and I'm about as fed up and disgusted by it as I'm sure folks out there are. Few friends are real estate agents and basically people trying to buy houses are always outdone at the last minute by "Hong Kong Money" that goes over the last bid by $100k+. Certainly doesn't lead to a healthy housing market, I just don't know if there's any way to counter it. If CRA starts amending code to address this they may very well be negatively affecting resident Canadian homeowners and I am in no way shape or form in favour of that.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh the same shit is happening here and I'm about as fed up and disgusted by it as I'm sure folks out there are. Few friends are real estate agents and basically people trying to buy houses are always outdone at the last minute by "Hong Kong Money" that goes over the last bid by $100k+. Certainly doesn't lead to a healthy housing market, I just don't know if there's any way to counter it. If CRA starts amending code to address this they may very well be negatively affecting resident Canadian homeowners and I am in no way shape or form in favour of that.

there has got to be a way to address what basically amounts to parking finances in canada tax free ... without affecting canadian citizens

/ I have a friend who is chinese(mom)/croatian(dad). He's a real estate agent and I was bugging him the other day that his face and name are plastered all over burnaby bus shelters and benches. He's doing real well in this market but he said if he could do it over again he would advertise using his moms maiden name :noidea:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there has got to be a way to address what basically amounts to parking finances in canada tax free ... without affecting canadian citizens

/ I have a friend who is chinese(mom)/croatian(dad). He's a real estate agent and I was bugging him the other day that his face and name are plastered all over burnaby bus shelters and benches. He's doing real well in this market but he said if he could do it over again he would advertise using his moms maiden name :noidea: