• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Vancouver People

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave the love for the fact your program does what it does to promote and build the game.

I am not shocked at the increase but I have to think that that large an increase over 5 years is really high. is it from popularity? greed? both?
Little bit of both. There are a ton of new "select" teams getting stood up by parents whose little snowflake didn't make a legit one, and that cuts into available ice time. We've only grown one ice sheet in the 15 years I've been with this program. And there are probably 30 new teams in that time. The Blue Jackets are consolidating all house level hockey under one umbrella and trying to limit the travel teams, so hopefully it will get better.

Subsequently, the Chiller who runs the rinks knows they can charge what they want and someone will pay. The ice scheduler for them has a kid who played for us, and we pretty much have a rink to ourselves - share with a few others - and he does what he can to keep our costs low. Having the jackets behind us helps.

And gear nowadays is stupid expensive. Vaughn makes these quick setup goalie pads so kids can try goalie without having to find a set of gear. But they are like 700 a set. We bought 10 this year and ran out.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Subsequently, the Chiller who runs the rinks knows they can charge what they want and someone will pay.
Our association is down a rink after one rink had its cooling system/piping explode in March 2023. The city was supposed to have opened a twin rink facility by Sept but they have had delay after delay (shovels in the ground 4 years ago on this :L ). So its 2 city owned rinks who have demands from user groups like ringette, short track speed skating, figure skating and hockey ... plus the city has to maintain its mandate for the public and provide public skates.

It meant all rep hockey teams in our association had to lose 1 practice ice time per week. Last month, all the parents of my sons team came to the consensus that we needed to get that ice time back as it really felt like the opposing teams in our flight were getting better and we werent so we went to a private facility (Scotiabarn/Canlan). The city charges our association $150 per ice time ... Canlans proposal was $450 per ice time.

"Luckily", there is a dude (some of you who have played ASHL here may have heard of his existence) who is essentially an "ice time reseller". He pays for a stockpile of ice times (and has for years Ive been told - at grandfathered lesser rates) ... he was gracious enough to get us icetimes at $300 per :gaah:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our association is down a rink after one rink had its cooling system/piping explode in March 2023. The city was supposed to have opened a twin rink facility by Sept but they have had delay after delay (shovels in the ground 4 years ago on this :L ). So its 2 city owned rinks who have demands from user groups like ringette, short track speed skating, figure skating and hockey ... plus the city has to maintain its mandate for the public and provide public skates.

It meant all rep hockey teams in our association had to lose 1 practice ice time per week. Last month, all the parents of my sons team came to the consensus that we needed to get that ice time back as it really felt like the opposing teams in our flight were getting better and we werent so we went to a private facility (Scotiabarn/Canlan). The city charges our association $150 per ice time ... Canlans proposal was $450 per ice time.

"Luckily", there is a dude (some of you who have played ASHL here may have heard of his existence) who is essentially an "ice time reseller". He pays for a stockpile of ice times (and has for years Ive been told - at grandfathered lesser rates) ... he was gracious enough to get us icetimes at $300 per :gaah:
You have an icetime scalper? That's insane. But it seems like an easily fixable problem if someone was so motivated to do so.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have an icetime scalper? That's insane. But it seems like an easily fixable problem if someone was so motivated to do so.
the guy is involved in ASHL and he flips ice times that go un-used. Greasy and Im not sure why/how he is allowed to do it.

For our hockey association playing in city owned arenas, if an ice time allocated to us goes unused the process is to send it back to the association allocator and that notice will get pushed out by email to all other teams ... another team always claims it (one of our coaches in a previous season set up google alerts to notify him when these free ice time emails got sent out and he would claim them within seconds lol).

If an ice time goes unused (rink attendants are gestapo here and always on the watch), the association gets a $150 no-show fine from the city and it gets passed on to the offending team. Never happens though because every teams coach and manager knows the repercussion of no-showing ... yes theres the fine ... but then city deducts an ice time allocated/budgeted to the association for the next season

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^

The Sno-King Score-and-Win prize is a tub of Sno-Star Ice Cream :D

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the guy is involved in ASHL and he flips ice times that go un-used. Greasy and Im not sure why/how he is allowed to do it.

For our hockey association playing in city owned arenas, if an ice time allocated to us goes unused the process is to send it back to the association allocator and that notice will get pushed out by email to all other teams ... another team always claims it (one of our coaches in a previous season set up google alerts to notify him when these free ice time emails got sent out and he would claim them within seconds lol).

If an ice time goes unused (rink attendants are gestapo here and always on the watch), the association gets a $150 no-show fine from the city and it gets passed on to the offending team. Never happens though because every teams coach and manager knows the repercussion of no-showing ... yes theres the fine ... but then city deducts an ice time allocated/budgeted to the association for the next season
No-showing for an ice time is a crazy concept to me.

Our rink situation is pretty unique. It's the Taft Arena on the grounds of the Ohio State Fairgrounds. Our club is technically part of the Columbus Parks and Rec department (we do a lot of outreach and street hockey in city rec centers, for example) so for years we essentially got our ice time super discounted because we were "buying" it from the same city we report to. The arena used to be the home of the Columbus Chill ECHL team and seats 6,000. The biggest issue we have is we can't have ice year round. 2nd week in March to end of October it becomes very agriculture/show animals heavy. We don't get ice until first week in November so before that we are fighting for ice time at the other rinks with everyone else.

Five years ago, it was found that the refrigeration system needed to be updated to a more eco-friendly system. City didn't want to bear the brunt of it, so the Chiller stepped in and took over management of the rink itself in exchange for kicking in money for the upgrade. Long term users of the rink (Us, A catholic High School, Warriors Sled Hockey, and a AA team) get dibs on ice and a discounted rate. For example; on Weds the High School has it til 5, then sled has it 5:10 to 6:30 and they never need the full ice so I get one zone for goalie practice. Then our group gets the ice until 10:00 when adult league is up. All of our age groups have a hour slot in there and we pay like a total of like 800 for Wednesdays. Our home games are there as are the High School. Weekends is a mishmash from 6am to midnight. We have a hard time getting home games on saturdays. Our JV and Girls teams get 3 nights a week, plus one game a week at around 400 per slot, and we get an hour and 20 minutes, hour 40 for games. I hope that doesn't change.

With our arena, there are 12 sheets in the metro area (11 when OSU doesn't want to share), and plans to build 4 more sheets around the city in the next couple years, which is desperately needed. Some adult league games are starting at midnight.

That shows the setup on Wednesdays, I have the slot at the far end.

Wish I could have seen the old barn in heyday:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No-showing for an ice time is a crazy concept to me.

Our rink situation is pretty unique. It's the Taft Arena on the grounds of the Ohio State Fairgrounds. Our club is technically part of the Columbus Parks and Rec department (we do a lot of outreach and street hockey in city rec centers, for example) so for years we essentially got our ice time super discounted because we were "buying" it from the same city we report to. The arena used to be the home of the Columbus Chill ECHL team and seats 6,000. The biggest issue we have is we can't have ice year round. 2nd week in March to end of October it becomes very agriculture/show animals heavy. We don't get ice until first week in November so before that we are fighting for ice time at the other rinks with everyone else.

Five years ago, it was found that the refrigeration system needed to be updated to a more eco-friendly system. City didn't want to bear the brunt of it, so the Chiller stepped in and took over management of the rink itself in exchange for kicking in money for the upgrade. Long term users of the rink (Us, A catholic High School, Warriors Sled Hockey, and a AA team) get dibs on ice and a discounted rate. For example; on Weds the High School has it til 5, then sled has it 5:10 to 6:30 and they never need the full ice so I get one zone for goalie practice. Then our group gets the ice until 10:00 when adult league is up. All of our age groups have a hour slot in there and we pay like a total of like 800 for Wednesdays. Our home games are there as are the High School. Weekends is a mishmash from 6am to midnight. We have a hard time getting home games on saturdays. Our JV and Girls teams get 3 nights a week, plus one game a week at around 400 per slot, and we get an hour and 20 minutes, hour 40 for games. I hope that doesn't change.

With our arena, there are 12 sheets in the metro area (11 when OSU doesn't want to share), and plans to build 4 more sheets around the city in the next couple years, which is desperately needed. Some adult league games are starting at midnight.

That shows the setup on Wednesdays, I have the slot at the far end.

Wish I could have seen the old barn in heyday:

It can happen but it never does … especially at older age levels in house … u18 rec where the practices are 10pm to 11pm (or later), a team full of grade 12’s who can drive have jobs and girlfriends and are really only playing hockey for the games. Dedication can tail off with that group ..especially if its a shitty team.

In situations like that and where another team wont take the ice time, they just ask for at least 2 kids and a coach be on the ice for the ice time. Technically it is being used lol

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
It can happen but it never does … especially at older age levels in house … u18 rec where the practices are 10pm to 11pm, a team full of grade 12’s who can drive have jobs and girlfriends and are really only playing hockey for the games. Dedication can tail off with that group ..especially if its a shitty team.

In situations like and where another team wont take the ice time, they just ask for at least 2 kids and a coach be on the ice for the ice time. Technically it is being used lol
I used to play with a group at Moody Park arena (New West), one year they decided to jack up the prices fairly significantly as there was a push towards youth hockey instead of us old fucks. I think the group had retained that ice time for 25+ years at that point.

So the call went out to see if anyone had kids in minor hockey, who's name we could put the ice time under. It would be a "coaching session" with a couple of the next generation and 18-20 old slow coaches practicing "game situations" for 90 minutes.

Never worked out, interest fizzled at the higher price, and ended up losing the ice time.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes, Satiar showing us that we still have a long ways to go...

I mean its the cesspool of twitter so its expected ... Im more concerned Leafs home broadcaster and fanboy David Amber is in the replies disagreeing that that was an unhinged reaction by Reilly lmao

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two of them have been at the Cactus Club that’s been open for barely a year.

What is it with west coast chic eateries and insane gang people?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Audi got hit in the parking lot of the Aquatic centre in Nanaimo. You walk back to your car and see it and your whole day is torpedoed.
And there’s no way that guy didn’t know he hit the car. That was significant.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1