• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Vancouver People

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wifes “uncle gary” won 10 shmill on lotto 649 last week. Watch for him in the media this week when they claim the prize. Looks like a cross between bill shatner and bobby hull

/hes the guy who gave my son a leafs jersey when he was a baby and we used it as a diaper

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
My dad gave me $20k when I first bought a house (and hinted that he would like it back someday lol) and I was fucking ecstatic.

This is 20% DP on a $1.7 mil home. How is that possibly the fucking average?!

My parents let me use their property for extra equity (interalia 2nd mortgage over their property) so i could finance the entire fucking place.
It was nice of them to trust that i would be able to maintain the payments, but they weren't in a position to help me out with cash.
I think they gave me set of pots and pans. But without them, i could not have become a homeowner so early.

But then, my first apartment was $140k in the shitty part of town, not $1.4MM in Yaletown or Kits.
The first strata meeting i went to was discussing removing the phone booth from the adjacent street, as all of the hookers and drug dealers used to walk up from Hastings St to return their pager messages. lol.

these days, there's no way my kid could get a even an entry level place without the bank of mom and dad.
my first little 800sf apartment now assesses for almost 600k (25 years later). 20% down payment on that is still a lofty goal for someone starting out.
The payphone has been removed, though :thumb:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My parents let me use their property for extra equity (interalia 2nd mortgage over their property) so i could finance the entire fucking place.
It was nice of them to trust that i would be able to maintain the payments, but they weren't in a position to help me out with cash.
I think they gave me set of pots and pans. But without them, i could not have become a homeowner so early.

But then, my first apartment was $140k in the shitty part of town, not $1.4MM in Yaletown or Kits.
The first strata meeting i went to was discussing removing the phone booth from the adjacent street, as all of the hookers and drug dealers used to walk up from Hastings St to return their pager messages. lol.

these days, there's no way my kid could get a even an entry level place without the bank of mom and dad.
my first little 800sf apartment now assesses for almost 600k (25 years later). 20% down payment on that is still a lofty goal for someone starting out.
God I miss that phone booth

We got into the market in 2004 it was hard even back then that we could have afforded that place but my boss at the time held me out of a meeting that would have probably given me Insider information for stock trading (@puckhead you know about that trade) the fact that he helped me by keeping me out of that meeting allowed me to get the capital to build into the second house what I got to build and how we used the market to upgrade to our third house and we are in pretty good shape, but man this market is fucking stupidity

Townhouse made 25% on in 2008
First house made 33% on in 2010
This house has gone up 90% since

Last edited:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

We got into the market in 2004 it was hard even back then that we could have afforded that place but my boss at the time held me out of a meeting that would have probably given me Insider information for stock trading (@puckhead you know about that trade) the fact that he helped me by keeping me out of that meeting allowed me to get the capital to build into the second house what I got to build and how we used the market to upgrade to our third house and we are in pretty good shape, but man this market is fucking stupidity

that phone booth was prob a 5 minute walk from the graffiti you posted earlier.

or you could be a genius like this guy to save $$$

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with that storm coming in, who knows where they will end up

I'm not sure what happened to that storm.

We had tons of rain.

And right at noon yesterday all hell broke loose here for around 15 minutes?

I panicked too because I had F1 and NFL recording.

I went up to make some lunch for my son and I. Suddenly the rain increased to something I've not seen before, like the edge of a waterfall. And the wind came up and was howling away as the power flickered. Maple trees in my backyard had been yellow minutes before and there was a whirlwind of leaves buzzing around my back 40, leaving trees bare.

And then the rain increased even more and we had thunder and lightning continuously for 5 minutes? And almost hail in the thick rain?

One of the wildest 15 minutes I've ever experienced.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dad gave me $20k when I first bought a house (and hinted that he would like it back someday lol) and I was fucking ecstatic.

This is 20% DP on a $1.7 mil home. How is that possibly the fucking average?!

My daughter has decided to not waste all her $$ on buying a condo. We had $50K for her if she chose to but she'd be house poor forever.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My first buy was a new-build in a shitty area, about the same sf and given inflation was probably about the same cost-wise. I think today even in a "shitty" part of Toronto it would cost almost double what it cost me in 2013 to get in at the ground floor of a new build for what mine was and the only reason I even had that kind of DP money was by working my 8 hr day job then doing side jobs after work & on weekends, which definitely isn't the norm.

I have no idea how the hell anybody could save money today for a condo and keep up with the mortgage and strata fees (these are the real killer TBH).

My daughter has decided to not waste all her $$ on buying a condo. We had $50K for her if she chose to but she'd be house poor forever.
I suppose if she rents and stays there basically forever she'll be okay because of maximum increases. If she moves somewhat frequently eventually the rent is just going to keep her house-poor anyway and without anything to her name in return.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

bank of mom and dad was never open for business for me lol ... it most definitely could have been but it wasnt lol

my risk in 2003 was getting into home ownership with my then girlfriend (now wife). We came to the table with down payment saved 50/50 so we pulled the trigger. We were looked at a 1500sqft condo in a new tower at Brentwood (lougheed/rosser) that was 450k but decided instead to go for a old 2400sqft fixer upper house for 338K in Capitol Hill. Still in the same (renovated) house now and I can go out on my deck and see the tower we could have bought into and be thankful because the house appreciated a tad more

/Im telling my kids to go look for their future financing needs at the bank of uncle gary

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
/Im telling my kids to go look for their future financing needs at the bank of uncle gary

DoHoViFWsAAoVQs.jpg

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I
bank of mom and dad was never open for business for me lol ... it most definitely could have been but it wasnt lol

my risk in 2003 was getting into home ownership with my then girlfriend (now wife). We came to the table with down payment saved 50/50 so we pulled the trigger. We were looked at a 1500sqft condo in a new tower at Brentwood (lougheed/rosser) that was 450k but decided instead to go for a old 2400sqft fixer upper house for 338K in Capitol Hill. Still in the same (renovated) house now and I can go out on my deck and see the tower we could have bought into and be thankful because the house appreciated a tad more

I AM so glad we are related. .. let me know when uncle Gary is having the BBQ....

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I AM so glad we are related. .. let me know when uncle Gary is having the BBQ....
Im the guy who had to bring up the elephant in the room with my wife, and her mom and dad ... Are we sure "uncle gary" is gonna be bringin "auntie d" along for the ride if ya catch my drift ???

WHERE DID UNCLE GARY GO ???

:bolt:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im the guy who had to bring up the elephant in the room with my wife, and her mom and dad ... Are we sure "uncle gary" is gonna be bringin "auntie d" along for the ride if ya catch my drift ???

WHERE DID UNCLE GARY GO ???

:bolt:
I read a story once of a dude that won a big lotto and held on to the ticket to the max time before it expires to divorce his wife and not have to pay out.. not sure it was successful

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first buy was a new-build in a shitty area, about the same sf and given inflation was probably about the same cost-wise. I think today even in a "shitty" part of Toronto it would cost almost double what it cost me in 2013 to get in at the ground floor of a new build for what mine was and the only reason I even had that kind of DP money was by working my 8 hr day job then doing side jobs after work & on weekends, which definitely isn't the norm.

I have no idea how the hell anybody could save money today for a condo and keep up with the mortgage and strata fees (these are the real killer TBH).

I suppose if she rents and stays there basically forever she'll be okay because of maximum increases. If she moves somewhat frequently eventually the rent is just going to keep her house-poor anyway and without anything to her name in return.

She can well afford her current Yaletown rent.

But to own, she has to live like a nun. And take $50K from us.

No partner anywhere so it is all on her.

I fully realise real estate rarely goes down. My house has more than doubled since I purchased in 2008. But you have to sell and move to realize.

Secretaries in V-Town, retire, sell and move to where I live and buy at Sproat Lake. Which is wrong on a lot of levels. But is a fact.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I read a story once of a dude that won a big lotto and held on to the ticket to the max time before it expires to divorce his wife and not have to pay out.. not sure it was successful
I remember that case. It was not successful.
Well, the ex thought it was successful I guess