• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Vancouver People

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I right to assume calling BC Ferries about my reservation to the island next week in search of a refund would be a waste of time?

How much are they charging for reservations now? It used to be $15, but I'm sure it's been increased in the last year or so.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much are they charging for reservations now? It used to be $15, but I'm sure it's been increased in the last year or so.

$15, $20, worth it no matter what.

Top deck seating. Takes the worry out of getting there.

I never travel without one now.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$20.

They refunded my reservations DUE TO COVID after the Rolling Stones concert was postponed.
Yeah I’m thinking at this point they’re just telling people “you knew the risks”. Which I did - we only booked it because Tofino was cheap as hell (partly thanks to Mrs. BBB’s healthcare worker discount :D ) and knew this was probably all going to happen lol.

Maybe I can get them to reschedule.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind it so much, but I do dislike the time spent..

So I don't do it much.
I took it to Sunshine Coast back in September; even with the smoke haze thought it was a pretty scenic sailing.

I’m sure you’re all used to that stuff by now though. I’m still wowed by it.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$20.

Yeah I’m thinking at this point they’re just telling people “you knew the risks”. Which I did - we only booked it because Tofino was cheap as hell (partly thanks to Mrs. BBB’s healthcare worker discount :D ) and knew this was probably all going to happen lol.

You're going to Tofino?

They've been posting things everywhere to stay the fuck away.....

When you going? We could bump elbows on your way through.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
$20.

yeah, Tofino and Uculet are not very welcoming to tourists right now.
do you still have your Ontario plates? that would be the cherry on top. lol

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're going to Tofino?

They've been posting things everywhere to stay the fuck away.....

When you going? We could bump elbows on your way through.
No we cancelled last week when it was pretty clear that this was getting much worse before it got better. I had honestly forgotten about the ferry reservation until ferrying was being discussed at work earlier today. Was planning on reaching out if we did end up going.

The funny thing is the resort said they're basically not turning anybody away until someone tells them to. I have a feeling a lot of these places are in real danger of closing.

yeah, Tofino and Uculet are not very welcoming to tourists right now.
do you still have your Ontario plates? that would be the cherry on top. lol
LMAO no, god no I got rid of them back in August.

Now I only get cut off by a regular number of pickup trucks with lift kits and have only been flipped off, like, once.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Toronto tried doing this Kathleen Wynne blocked them from doing so because she didn't want to lose suburban votes (she did anyway). I'm assuming the province could likewise step in here? I saw all the "No Road Tolls" NDP signs back in October, can't imagine he lets this one go through if that was his stance.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Toronto tried doing this Kathleen Wynne blocked them from doing so because she didn't want to lose suburban votes (she did anyway). I'm assuming the province could likewise step in here? I saw all the "No Road Tolls" NDP signs back in October, can't imagine he lets this one go through if that was his stance.

When I used to go see my daughter in Yaletown (Beatty St) there was one side of the street that was free parking after rush hour and all weekend.

Then they slapped in metres.

That are used from phones. Which fucks me as I can barely call long distance on mine and I don't have the app anyway.

I really hate the word app these days.

I don't know if Horgan has influence on parking in Vancouver.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

at this point, the city doesn't have the authority to impose tolls.
so they would either need to get the province to give them that authority, or fuck us another way (cranking up parking costs or something)

this city is just pissing me off so much. they just view property owners as a bottomless well.

so there is a freeze on rent increases due to economic hardships, and the city jacked up property taxes by 7% last year, and are looking at another 5% this year.
who do you think owns the vast majority of rental properties? people with mortgages, insurance, and property taxes to pay.
if you lock down one side of the equation, don't fucking jack up the other side. assholes.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so there is a freeze on rent increases due to economic hardships, and the city jacked up property taxes by 7% last year, and are looking at another 5% this year.
who do you think owns the vast majority of rental properties?

Housewives and students with no discernable/reported income for tax purposes? :noidea:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On that note a leaky condo on broadway near nanaimo in east van sold for 285k all cash 2 days ago lol

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep telling my daughter to move the fuck out of Dodge. You need 2 incomes to even just fall behind gradually there and she's solo.

She earns a lot but her money is wasted on Yaletown rent. $1500 a month for a cube.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at this point, the city doesn't have the authority to impose tolls.
so they would either need to get the province to give them that authority, or fuck us another way (cranking up parking costs or something)

this city is just pissing me off so much. they just view property owners as a bottomless well.

who do you think owns the vast majority of rental properties? people with mortgages, insurance, and property taxes to pay.
if you lock down one side of the equation, don't fucking jack up the other side. assholes.
The property tax regime in the city seems, in a word, punitive. I get it to a point but how badly do you have to suck people dry?

When I used to go see my daughter in Yaletown (Beatty St) there was one side of the street that was free parking after rush hour and all weekend.

Then they slapped in metres.

That are used from phones. Which fucks me as I can barely call long distance on mine and I don't have the app anyway.

I really hate the word app these days.

I don't know if Horgan has influence on parking in Vancouver.
My days of pleasure afternoons in Toronto pretty much ended when they started putting meters on side streets outside of the downtown core. No thanks.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep telling my daughter to move the fuck out of Dodge. You need 2 incomes to even just fall behind gradually there and she's solo.

She earns a lot but her money is wasted on Yaletown rent. $1500 a month for a cube.
That's the thing though, a lot of people earn much more here than they would elsewhere and that's because the cost of living is so much higher. Going to be interesting to see how that all adjusts with people working from home more in the future.

The thing that surprised me more as I started looking for a house to buy lately wasn't so much the cost - I knew it was expensive and it's no different than Toronto in that regard - but rather the condition of the houses for sale. $1.5-2 mil for a house in Coquitlam or Burnaby that needs $300k in renovations to even be livable by modern standards is just mind-boggling to me.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing though, a lot of people earn much more here than they would elsewhere and that's because the cost of living is so much higher. Going to be interesting to see how that all adjusts with people working from home more in the future.

The thing that surprised me more as I started looking for a house to buy lately wasn't so much the cost - I knew it was expensive and it's no different than Toronto in that regard - but rather the condition of the houses for sale. $1.5-2 mil for a house in Coquitlam or Burnaby that needs $300k in renovations to even be livable by modern standards is just mind-boggling to me.

I can't relate to that at all.

My huge house cost me $350K in 2008. Likely wouldn't get 60% more than that now.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't relate to that at all.

My huge house cost me $350K in 2008. Likely wouldn't get 60% more than that now.
We'll see how long that lasts. Houses in places nobody gave two thoughts to are getting pretty expensive these days as the city dwellers start looking elsewhere.

The fact that Niagara Region is the hottest housing market in the country right now tells you everything you need to know (and also makes me pretty happy that I bought some shitty land in Pelham after I sold my first house five years ago for peanuts :eyebrows:).