• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Things we find freaking neat but no place to post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bubble soccer folks, get involved! I cannot recommend it enough if it's in your area.

This thread was having a serious moment with multiple posts about lost WW2 battles and the ultimate sacrifices some soldiers made and another about attempted vehicular homicide and you think that it the time to post about 'bubble soccer'?

Wow.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread was having a serious moment with multiple posts about lost WW2 battles and the ultimate sacrifices some soldiers made and another about attempted vehicular homicide and you think that it the time to post about 'bubble soccer'?

Wow.

P8o8znj.gif

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow.

This would imply that there is a wrong time to bring up bubble soccer which is wholly inaccurate.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
theres an unreal WW1 war monument close to the Italian town i mentioned in my last post called Cima Grappa on top of Mount Grappa. The Giro D'Italia raced a mountain stage there this year and i pvr'ed it because I thought my dad (born there in 1934) would love to see the amazing sweeping panoramic visuals as we have only ever seen it at ground level. It brought him to tears :(

3722.jpg

Here it is in the winter, buried in snow, as captured by a drone (irony?) ... probably the same conditions all those men fought and died in ... you pray they saw that beautiful sun ... inscription on the monument for the dead says "Mount Grappa ... you are my home"

That is literally really freaking neat! Can't think of a better place for a monument to the dead than on top of a mountain peak in the Alps. So that location was actually the site of a battle in World War I?

I think Mt. Grappa is another place in Europe I've got to make it to. Definitely getting added to my bucket list along with visiting the Ardenne Forest in Belgium/Luxemburg, the beaches of Normandy, Paris, Rome and Venice.

Thanks for sharing that! :suds:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is literally really freaking neat! Can't think of a better place for a monument to the dead than on top of a mountain peak in the Alps. So that location was actually the site of a battle in World War I?

yup it was ... mostly in winter ... the video i linked shows how much snow they get

Some of the events of the World War I and the World War II took place on the Monte Grappa massif: because of this, it is known for the military memorial monument, the statue of the Madonna del Grappa (ruined during the World War I but restored in the following years) and the World War Museum. Here there are the remains of the Italian and Austro-Hungarian soldiers. In the World War I, after the Italian Caporetto defeat, the Austrians tryed to conquer the peak to reach the Venetian plain. The Italians made caves in the rock and built fixed emplacements for the artillery so that they had the control from the Valderoa Mount to Caprile hill. The most important military work is the Vittorio Emanuele Gallery, which is equipped with water tanks, infirmaries, beds, and it crosses the underground of Cima Grappa; you can visit it. During the World War II, the Partisans sought refuge on the Monte Grappa. Here the Naziists and some Fascists exterminated a huge number of soldiers: however, those who had not been killed in the place were taken to Bassano del Grappa and publicly hanged. In the post war the NATO built a radar missile base on the Monte Grappa for the American antiaircraft defense; by the way the base was demolished at the end of the 1970s and nowadays it is in state of neglect.
The Military Memorial Monument

On the highest peak of the Monte Grappa there is a military memorial monument, projected by the architect Giovanni Greppi with the collaboration of the sculptor Giannino Castiglioni. It was inaugurated on the 22nd september 1935. In the central body are guarded the remains of 12.615 soldiers, and among them 10.332 are unknown. The monument is composed of 5 concentric circles, on top of each other forming a pyramid. On the top there is the little sanctuary of the Madonnina del Grappa. Near the monument, there is cave: some time ago people thought that some Partisans had been burnt alive by the Nazi-fascists there. Since the 1974 there has been a statue called “Al Partigiano” in that cave, realised by the sculptor Augusto Murer.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
swiffer needs to make more absorbent pads

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60