• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Things we find freaking neat but no place to post

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
BvO_CMLIUAAqnfc.jpg

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/15/us/firefly-population-science-in-a-twinkle-of-nighttime-in-the-south.html?_r=3

“Fireflies are indicators of the health of the environment and are declining across the world as a result of degradation and loss of suitable habitat, pollution of river systems, increased use of pesticides in agro-ecosystems and increased light pollution in areas of human habitation,”

I've noticed this in PA. There are fewer fireflies now compared to when I was growing up. This isn't neat, but it doesn't drive me F'n nuts so I dropped it here.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The situation in Ferguson is getting crazy!

MwgjMAyyTgexP8CvK9KQ_Hamburglar%20Arrested.jpg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Visiting my parents this summer, I noticed more fireflies in their backyard than I ever remember growing up. Go figure.

Tell your parents to stop hoarding all the region's fireflies, darn it!

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Visiting my parents this summer, I noticed more fireflies in their backyard than I ever remember growing up. Go figure.

I've noticed a decline in two different ways. The first is my family has a cottage in the Allegheny Mountains, east of Somerset. Usually, when we are up there in the summertime, when sitting around the camp fire at night, the field behind the cottage looks like a laser show. You used to be able to see thousands of fireflies. I was up there in July of this year for a week and it was noticeably less. The kids didn't even bother trying to catch them because there were hardly any to find.

The other way I've noticed the decline is when I've been traveling this summer through PA. Usually, if I'm making a road trip this time of year, after the trip my front bumper and windshield will usually looks like Slimer from Ghostbusters just slid his ass across it and I have to scrub that crap off. This year, I don't know if I've even seen more than one or two spots after a trip.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've noticed a decline in two different ways. The first is my family has a cottage in the Allegheny Mountains, east of Somerset. Usually, when we are up there in the summertime, when sitting around the camp fire at night, the field behind the cottage looks like a laser show. You used to be able to see thousands of fireflies. I was up there in July of this year for a week and it was noticeably less. The kids didn't even bother trying to catch them because there were hardly any to find.

The other way I've noticed the decline is when I've been traveling this summer through PA. Usually, if I'm making a road trip this time of year, after the trip my front bumper and windshield will usually looks like Slimer from Ghostbusters just slid his ass across it and I have to scrub that crap off. This year, I don't know if I've even seen more than one or two spots after a trip.

It seems like a lot less 'lightnin' bugs' around here nowadays too. I didn't know whether it just seemed like more in my memory or whether there are actually more.

Status
Not open for further replies.