• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Things we find freaking neat but no place to post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats Darkstone!

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats DS, hope that math lab thing doesn't come back to bite you.

Quick question: My largest child is visiting schools and seems to have chosen half of the Egghead 8 to visit (Case, NYU, Rochester and Chicago). Just curious what the reputation of those schools is in the scientific community at large.

She wants Evolutionary biology or physics, and is really motivated by research opportunity, co-op learning and the opportunity to be published. In addition to those four she is somewhat aggressively being contacted by Brown, Cornell, Purdue and RIT.

Any input is appreciated.

No. Not Brown

Based on nothing other than they are my customer and they bug me. :)

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#I #hope #there #is #a #special #place #in #hell #for #people #who #do #this #on #every #word... #you #bastards.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BGU0dX9CEAARyyC.jpg

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey DS, belated congrats my friend. That is great news.

/My wife has recently been accepted into the PhD Nursing program at the University of Victoria, I guess my job to to pay for it :D

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just keep my title of Sr.DBA, no need for me to go higher than that. :)

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Matty, I heard 'Strange Animal' by Gowan as I was driving around town this afternoon.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the reputation is good at all of them. She really can't go wrong. But if she wants to get into optics, Rochester is the best of those schools. Only Arizona has a better optics program, and that's debatable.

Of course, with optics, she won't really know until she's a graduate student if that's what she wants. It's pretty advanced stuff.

Thanks, DS

I really liked the vibe at Case, and I hear the other egghead schools are very similar. Really encouraging people to think WAY out there. "Think beyond possible" is all over the place at Case.

She has he heart set on evolutionary biology and taxonomy. She seems to have it in her head that perhaps some of the ideas of evolution we have held are wrong, and those mistakes in classification are why certain animals struggle to survive when we "help".

She also wants to prove that the theory of evolution in humans is incomplete, and she has a theory that the missing link holds the key to solving riddles like Autism, Alzheimers and Cancer. She thinks she will find that. And she is not convinced she will find that on this planet...

I just wind her up and let her go.

No. Not Brown

Based on nothing other than they are my customer and they bug me. :)

I kind of hope she doesn't choose that one too. Pretty damn far from us.

And I'm not Bill Gates.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, DS

I really liked the vibe at Case, and I hear the other egghead schools are very similar. Really encouraging people to think WAY out there. "Think beyond possible" is all over the place at Case.

She has he heart set on evolutionary biology and taxonomy. She seems to have it in her head that perhaps some of the ideas of evolution we have held are wrong, and those mistakes in classification are why certain animals struggle to survive when we "help".

She also wants to prove that the theory of evolution in humans is incomplete, and she has a theory that the missing link holds the key to solving riddles like Autism, Alzheimers and Cancer. She thinks she will find that. And she is not convinced she will find that on this planet...

I just wind her up and let her go.

I kind of hope she doesn't choose that one too. Pretty damn far from us.

And I'm not Bill Gates.

Send her up to McGill 43.

Pros:
Generally cheaper than equivalent American schools (ivy league).

International rep.

She'll get a great experience and if she wants she could learn French while she's there.

Cons:
Could end up a Habs fan.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Send her up to McGill 43.

Pros:
Generally cheaper than equivalent American schools (ivy league).

International rep.

She'll get a great experience and if she wants she could learn French while she's there.

Cons:
Could end up a Habs fan.

We'll be exploring a few Canadian universities in the fall. She's going to cut the list to 4. McGill and UToronto are no doubt two of them.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll be exploring a few Canadian universities in the fall. She's going to cut the list to 4. McGill and UToronto are no doubt two of them.

Cool.

Waterloo is generally fantastic for physical sciences. I can't say for certain that their biology department is great but it's probably very good at worst. Not far from Ohio either (by Canadian standards).

Queen's University has a good biology/medicine program.

Just a few ideas.

If you want any more feedback, just let me know. Between me, the missus and my siblings it seems like we've got almost every Canadian uni covered.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take it CMU was ruled out due to curriculum focus? Biotechnology, yes, evolutionary biology, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.