• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Target got got (de facto Bad Cyber Stuff thread)

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my line of work, I typically feel a lot of sympathy for the front line people who have to deal with this kind of situation. But not for the people at that particular company.

Fuck Sinclair Media.
Was gonna be my response exactly.

Couldn't happen to a nicer company.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick question - lets pretend an 80 year old parent got a loud popup stating her PC was under attack and to call this number to fix it. Say she does and she allows someone to remote into it using Anydesk. After being remoted in with her for half an hour :L he says it will cost $199 and she wises up and hangs up.
What are the odds the grift is just for the $199? Or was he searching / copying stuff in background? At first I was thinking there was nothing he could get, just address and name she doesn't online shop. Then right before she hangs up - "my tax returns are on there too, does that matter?" :L

Just asking for a guess

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick question - lets pretend an 80 year old parent got a loud popup stating her PC was under attack and to call this number to fix it. Say she does and she allows someone to remote into it using Anydesk. After being remoted in with her for half an hour :L he says it will cost $199 and she wises up and hangs up.
What are the odds the grift is just for the $199? Or was he searching / copying stuff in background? At first I was thinking there was nothing he could get, just address and name she doesn't online shop. Then right before she hangs up - "my tax returns are on there too, does that matter?" :L

Just asking for a guess
In addition to copying stuff, they probably planted malware that will allow them to remote back to it any time they want. She is also probably mining bitcoin now.

If she does online banking change the passwords now. If she doesn't, set up online banking for her and keep the password yourself. A big common scam is for them to find elderly people who don't have online banking and set it up on their accounts, giving themselves access of course. It's harder if the account already has online banking set up. Although, if they have her SSN, they can just create new accounts.

PM me if I can help in any way

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
43 is the expert, but everyone in her address may also get safe looking emails from her with a malware link/attachment

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition to copying stuff, they probably planted malware that will allow them to remote back to it any time they want. She is also probably mining bitcoin now.

If she does online banking change the passwords now. If she doesn't, set up online banking for her and keep the password yourself. A big common scam is for them to find elderly people who don't have online banking and set it up on their accounts, giving themselves access of course. It's harder if the account already has online banking set up. Although, if they have her SSN, they can just create new accounts.

PM me if I can help in any way

43 is the expert, but everyone in her address may also get safe looking emails from her with a malware link/attachment
No online banking for her, I'll recommend we set it up and tell her about emails "from" her account. Since her tax returns are on her machine I assume they have her SSN.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No online banking for her, I'll recommend we set it up and tell her about emails "from" her account. Since her tax returns are on her machine I assume they have her SSN.
And possibly her bank account number if she had her refund deposited.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just asking for a guess
Saw this scam on Mark Rober's channel. I see you got the professional @forty_three helping, wonder if they would have gone this far?

All-Star Benchwarmer

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,979.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just asking for a guess

Chances are, if they are good hackers, they immediately began to download her files as soon as they got connected and started to load viruses and malware. It's just a waiting game now to see what they got and how they are going to use it.

Immediately contact the bank for possible fraud. They will have a fraud department to assist.

Contact the IRS.

Watch her credit. Go to the 3 credit bearue's and create accounts to monitor activity.

Install Malware Bytes and an Anti-virus or two (Kaspersky, Norton, Avast etc.) Scan and remove all files she wants to keep to a thumb drive. Wipe her hard drive or smash it and get a new one. After installation of the the OS, turn off file sharing, etc.

Show her this video:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I uninstalled Anydesk yesterday. And a couple other programs that were installed the same day. I ran MalwareBytes (it removed 2 programs) and updated her Norton and ran a scan. So far they don't want to blow away her machine.

Shes going to call her bank tomorrow and give them a heads up and see what they say.

In a few weeks I'll run her credit report and maybe sign up for monitoring.

She's also going to completely power down her laptop when not in use. She doesn't surf on it, uses it to help with her different community groups, so it may only be on a few hours a week.

Fun stuff.....

Thanks everyone

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bro in law is a level 7 at aws and im sure hes to blame
All my working items right now are in Azure and GCP so I am like:

Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AWS is down? Now we won’t know how far HR balls travel.

Oh, yeah..…

Never mind.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok.

I will have an alibi for that too...
Like Monopoly, there isn't an unlimited supply of Get Out of Jail Free cards.

Unless it's Hoopopoly, where you can generate as many as you need.

cADeyXV.jpg