• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Target got got (de facto Bad Cyber Stuff thread)

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Target: 40M card accounts may be breached | RealClear

My money was on Wal Mart to be the one to get owned this year, but it was Target. Their Point of Sale machines where you swipe your credit cards got breached and the number, CVV code and expiry dates on 40 million cards used between 11/27 and 12/15 got stolen.

Target has not stated a location / region yet which leads me to believe a backend system compromise and not a local card scanner replacement. So yes, even you Canucks need to worry on it.

Check your statements carefully folks.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My money was on Wal Mart to be the one to get owned this year, but it was Target. Their Point of Sale machines where you swipe your credit cards got breached and the number, CVV code and expiry dates on 40 million cards used between 11/27 and 12/15 got stolen.

Target has not stated a location / region yet which leads me to believe a backend system compromise and not a local card scanner replacement. So yes, even you Canucks need to worry on it.

Another story I read stated that it was believed to affect "nearly all" of their stores. Probably a few running on an older POS system that didn't get it, but everything else is in trouble.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Crazy and since I work in a bank, yet to have any customers come in and complain yet or even have their accounts hacked. But it's still early.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy and since I work in a bank, yet to have any customers come in and complain yet or even have their accounts hacked. But it's still early.

It was just disclosed today, and banks were notified yesterday. Once your bank starts the process of reissuing the plastics known compromised, you will see customers coming in. New cards for everybody!

I am a little surprised that the 3 digit CVV code was taken. You don't need to enter that at PoS, it's only for online transactions. There's no reason for that to be included in the mag stripe presented at a store. I expect Visa and Mastercard will take a lot of shit over that.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Target in Canada basically Zellers with some lipstick (new logo, I mean Zellers had lipstick prior to Target lol).

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was just disclosed today, and banks were notified yesterday. Once your bank starts the process of reissuing the plastics known compromised, you will see customers coming in. New cards for everybody!

I am a little surprised that the 3 digit CVV code was taken. You don't need to enter that at PoS, it's only for online transactions. There's no reason for that to be included in the mag stripe presented at a store. I expect Visa and Mastercard will take a lot of shit over that.

Just crazy how no customers have even mentioned it yet though.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Target in Canada basically Zellers with some lipstick (new logo, I mean Zellers had lipstick prior to Target lol).

lol ... we went in the metrotown store the other day and yah same shit as zellers just more red paint on the walls ... and the prices are 35% higher than the US target stores

my son was quite happy with their vast selection of angry birds star wars telepods though :noidea:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just crazy how no customers have even mentioned it yet though.

Now that it's out there, the guys who have that card data aren't going to sit on it. So expect people to get burnt here real soon.

Hope banks have the sense to flag all accounts known or suspected stolen to minimize damage. This is not the week to mess with people's money.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that it's out there, the guys who have that card data aren't going to sit on it. So expect people to get burnt here real soon.

Hope banks have the sense to flag all accounts known or suspected stolen to minimize damage. This is not the week to mess with people's money.

Just glad my account wasn't hit.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why you pay with cash, not credit cards

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When cash is stolen, you have no chance of recovering it.

When someone uses your card number illegally, you get your money back. Eventually.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive had $1 american in my wallet for the past 3 or so years ... gave it away at a megalithic christmas light display home that was raising money for cancer the other night ... my wallet feels alot lighter and less costanza like now

although i hope the mass populace still hitches its wagons to the "cash is king" theory since im a heavy investor in a company that produces nano-optic security threads for currency

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I cant use cash here. In Baltimore I get robbed 3-4 times a week. There is something called 'thieves courtesy' here where they only take your cash, not your credit or debit cards. No need to be assholes. We also have something called 'robber's rights' and that means if we get robbed then we rob someone else to make up for it.

Its actually a really good system.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah what timing !!! I have a WalMart card and like someone said it's only a matter of time before they get drilled too. I don't carry much cash on me at all, like so many others I use my ATM debit or CC. I have a feeling the more this shit happens people are going to go back to less plastic and more green. Any thought's on this?

Edit: I should have read the whole thread looks like it's being discussed. Sorry gent's.

Last edited by a moderator:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah what timing !!! I have a WalMart card and like someone said it's only a matter of time before they get drilled too. I don't carry much cash on me at all, like so many others I use my ATM debit or CC. I have a feeling the more this shit happens people are going to go back to less plastic and more green. Any thought's on this?

BITCOINS!!!

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw ... i know little about bitcoin markets ... how do they work ?

can you short them?

Im asking for a chinese friend of mine

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I currently have over 20K Bitcoins, and I am currently trying to find the hard drive that was thrown out with over 8 million bitcoin on it.