• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT Stars Hockey

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Russell trade was outstanding. I get mad at some Dallas hockey "fans" who bash players they don't really know before even seeing them play. You should have seen the venomous reactions to the trade over at defendingbigd.com and on Facebook. Pure nonsense. Some dude actually said it was the most lopsided bad trade in NHL history. Another guy said Jokipakka was already better than Russell. No and no. Nonsense.

Add this clueless d-bag "writer" to the list of people who don't know jack squat. You can tell he's ignorant when he says Jokipakka is "probably NHL-ready". Um, he's played a FULL SEASON in the NHL already, genius. Nill doesn't call up guys for a full season if they're not ready.

And as far as Russell himself goes, he IS good at moving the puck out of the zone. Maybe not great, but solid, and much better than 4 of their other current d-men. Russell plays on the PP, the PK (shot-blocking monster), and eats a lot of minutes. He has so much defensive zone ice time accrued this season because the Flames suck. Not his fault. Anyone who has seen him play with Dallas so far can tell he's very solid. Not spectacular, but reliable and does a bit of everything.

We gave up our worst D youngster (Klingberg, Honka, Lindell, Nemeth, Oleksiak, and Johns all have more upside). Joki is decent, but he will never be more than a bottom pairing guy. Pollock is a solid forward prospect, but again we still kept our better ones (Dickinson, Shore, Ritchie, Faksa). And the pick likely stays as a 2nd rounder. 2nd rounders have a 30% chance of becoming NHL regulars.

It wasn't a slam-dunk fleecing like Nill is known for, but it was a solid pickup, especially considering both Goligoski and Demers are free agents after this season. If Russell were to stay another year or two, it would help the blue line considerably.

Russell is a FA too I believe, thats why I thought it was too much for a rental player, that I don't think makes them significantly better. We shall see though

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a FA, but he could re-sign. He comes at a better price tag than Goligoski. Even if he ends up being just a rental, I'm ok with the outgoing package. Joki was never going to be in the team's long term plans. They just have too many better young defensemen ahead of him. Same goes for Pollock. You've already got Seguin, Benn, Nichushkin, Faksa, Ritchie, Dickinson, and Shore as a guaranteed forward core for the foreseeable future. Pollock might have figured into the bottom 6 somewhere, but he's replaceable. And the pick has a 30% value assigned to it.

Worst case is the Stars get bounced in round 1 and Russell moves on to another team. Even then, we've still got all of our top-end prospects and depth.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this- had Nill included a guaranteed 1st round pick or a better prospect than Joki/Pollock, I would have liked the deal a whole lot less.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this- had Nill included a guaranteed 1st round pick or a better prospect than Joki/Pollock, I would have liked the deal a whole lot less.

They also sent a 2nd round pick I believe and if they were to win the Western Conf or whatever I think it is a 1st

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also sent a 2nd round pick I believe and if they were to win the Western Conf or whatever I think it is a 1st

Yep, but in all likelihood, that pick is staying a 2nd round pick. And if they do somehow make it to the Western Finals, that will mean that Kris Russell likely played at least a small part in that. I'd sacrifice pick #28 in the draft for a Conference Finals appearance.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice game tonight, last goal against looked to be GI, total BS! How do they miss those w a replay? Goal was scored on the far post and the interference was on the glove side I think, but still in the blue paint and clearly w the stick between Kari's legs?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas owns the Hawks this year. Do the same shit to St. Louis too please.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice game tonight, last goal against looked to be GI, total BS! How do they miss those w a replay? Goal was scored on the far post and the interference was on the glove side I think, but still in the blue paint and clearly w the stick between Kari's legs?

It was a sick dangle and he totally beat everyone on the ice, but yes when a guy is all up on the goalie leaning on him and has his stick between your legs you cannot play your position. They got the call wrong.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nice to see the big guns come up big tonight on offense. spezza, benn and seguin all in on the scoring fairly early. kari was good in the net too

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Stars for clinching a playoff spot tonight and owning the Hawks so far this year! Still some work to do.

Go Stars!

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Stars for clinching a playoff spot tonight and owning the Hawks so far this year! Still some work to do.

Go Stars!
Been a heck of a season so far. Keep this shit up! Get everyone healthy and go on a nice run. Haven't been this excited about hockey in Texas for nearly a decade when they shocked everyone and went to the WCF.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been a heck of a season so far. Keep this shit up! Get everyone healthy and go on a nice run. Haven't been this excited about hockey in Texas for nearly a decade when they shocked everyone and went to the WCF.

Nice to get Klingberg back and I like what Ritchie brings, as well as Johns upside. Hopefully Kari gets some confidence from playing better of late and the defensive improvement w guys coming back. Hoping for a nice little run, would love a WCF appearance

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to get Klingberg back and I like what Ritchie brings, as well as Johns upside. Hopefully Kari gets some confidence from playing better of late and the defensive improvement w guys coming back. Hoping for a nice little run, would love a WCF appearance

Overall, Klingberg definitely is a huge positive for the team. His playmaking ability is second-to-none among their defensemen. But it's no coincidence that their goals against, breakaway chances allowed, and 3-goals against periods all improved once Klingberg got injured. I love the guy, but he has GOT to work on cutting down on his defensive mistakes and blown coverages. He absolutely needs to be paired with a defensively responsible D man. When he's out there with Goligoski, the face palm-level goals against pile up.

Also, the 3 youngsters NEED to stay in the lineup once everyone is healthy. Ritchie, Faksa, and Johns have added an element of size and physicality to the team that was sorely lacking earlier in the year. Teams aren't bullying the Stars anymore.

For the playoffs, I'd roll with:

Seguin-Spezza-Sharp
Benn-Eakin-Eaves
Hemsky-Faksa-Nichushkin
Ritchie-Fiddler-Roussell
Sceviour

Goligoski-Russell
Oduya-Klingberg
Demers-Johns
Benn

Lehtonen
Niemi

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GOAL!

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another GOAL!

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hemsky is racking up the points the last couple weeks. Faksa w another goal tonight. Niemi improves his record vs the dogs. Be nice to get Seguin back to 100% soon. Another home W, I like it down the stretch. Take a 2 point lead over the Blues

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh and......loved the physicality tonight. The Johns hit and Benn hit in the 1st were real nice!

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great game today and great win! Glad to get the points