• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Name some things that drive you fucking nuts

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two interviews for a job a month and a half ago - the first one went really well and she arranged for a second interview. The second one went pretty good, at least decently. So they hire someone else, no worries someone could have been more qualified. Then a couple weeks ago I see the same job listed, I wonder if the person hired didn't show or work out. So I apply again - thinking what have I got to lose. Just checked my application status - 'not choosen to go further in the process'. But the position is still listed. I'm qulaified for this one, the HR person really liked me, and the 2nd interview at least went OK but not being considered. I am sure there is a logical reason, just wish I knew what it is.
Anybody ever contact a company to ask why they did not get a position? It seems like a dumb idea to me, but I have had a number of people tell me its a normal thing to do that might be helpful.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody ever contact a company to ask why they did not get a position? It seems like a dumb idea to me, but I have had a number of people tell me its a normal thing to do that might be helpful.

I've never done that, but I have gone to their office post-interview and pissed on the side of the building.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's a fairly common practice. They may or may not be willing to give you any information and it may just be corporate blubber, but some will give you genuine feedback.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've only ever done that once, and it was a company that I knew the people doing the hiring so it doesn't really count. I was quite comfortable asking them, unofficially.

We've had a few people ask us why we didn't hire them and it's always come across as odd to me. I understand the curiosity and need for genuine feedback. But I am not sure I would have it in me to ask. If it's become a normal thing, there must be etiquette rules for it somewhere.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've only ever done that once, and it was a company that I knew the people doing the hiring so it doesn't really count. I was quite comfortable asking them, unofficially.

We've had a few people ask us why we didn't hire them and it's always come across as odd to me. I understand the curiosity and need for genuine feedback. But I am not sure I would have it in me to ask. If it's become a normal thing, there must be etiquette rules for it somewhere.
That's a good point. Probably shouldn't ask super directly "why didn't you hire me?" but something more like if there's any feedback they can give.

My understanding has always been that it's considered normal if it's a relatively specialized field/position that you were unquestionably qualified for. For an entry-level type thing, I don't think it's really appropriate.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When I was on hiring committees and in charge of some lesser hires I had people ask me. It's hard to answer with some people. But most were just not prepared for the interview.

Funnily enough I did have one guy ask why we fired him.

Me: Did you read the package given to you when you were let go? It includes a document detailing the grounds for your termination.

Him: Ummm. No. I didn't read it.

Me: Well, asked and answered. Read it and get back to me if you have any questions.

I never heard from him again.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks everyone. If I did ask I would word it in a 'what could I do better' etc way. But I doubt I will ask. And if i did who knows whether you get a real answer.

Just frustrated wondering what happened after 1 really good interview, a 2nd I thought went well, and then turned down, which is fine - but now the job is posted again. They never contacted references so there was nothing there. Perhaps because it was largely a lateral move (though big bump in salary and the location is so much better) that bothers them but the HR person was selling me on I wouldnt be there long so it didnt seem to matter to her. I'll never know I guess. I'd like to know because this is a major employer in my area and I'd like to know if I should even bother applying for anything else there.

It could be personal, but the 2nd interview was online and usually people have to meet me in person before they realize they dislike me. (hanging curveball down the middle of the plate)

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks everyone. If I did ask I would word it in a 'what could I do better' etc way. But I doubt I will ask. And if i did who knows whether you get a real answer.

Just frustrated wondering what happened after 1 really good interview, a 2nd I thought went well, and then turned down, which is fine - but now the job is posted again. They never contacted references so there was nothing there. Perhaps because it was largely a lateral move (though big bump in salary and the location is so much better) that bothers them but the HR person was selling me on I wouldnt be there long so it didnt seem to matter to her. I'll never know I guess. I'd like to know because this is a major employer in my area and I'd like to know if I should even bother applying for anything else there.

It could be personal, but the 2nd interview was online and usually people have to meet me in person before they realize they dislike me. (hanging curveball down the middle of the plate)
When we've had roles open in the past, we get a ton of applicants. It's very rare that we have a specific reason we didn't choose a particular person. It's usually simply that we had several to choose from and can only choose one. The last one we hired we had like 5 people who we could have been fine with and were totally qualified. The reason we chose the one we did is specific experience with a particular app/system that the others didn't have. That's it. Could be some specific thing they didn't list in the posting that they really want.

Two of the applicants have been hired elsewhere in the company, so yeah. Keep at it.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My current contract ends October 31st and it appears that they are trying to either force me out or slightly reduce my hourly rate. Fortunately, I do have something else lined up and have already started working for this other company, but you would think that after almost 10 years of service as a contractor that they would approach this a little more professionally. Oh well.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hear ya about the in person thing. It's hard to roofie someone in a Zoom meeting. Thanks Trudeau and liberal media!!

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under normal circumstances I would not ask why I wasn't hired and just chalk it up to someone with better qualifications or a better personality fit was hired. With such a short turnaround in the job being re-posted and you basically being shut out of the second hiring round, it seems to me that a questioning of that decision is warranted. As it appears you won't be considered again for the position anyway, it can't hurt to ask for feedback, IMO.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of all the 2020 things, Google's transition to YouTube Music is just piling on.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey @Comeds ... reached out to that company you interviewed with, posing as your legal guardian (as you requested) and asked them directly why you didnt get the job. They then forwarded me some video that a reference/former employer of yours sent to them
:think:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey @Comeds ... reached out to that company you interviewed with, posing as your legal guardian (as you requested) and asked them directly why you didnt get the job. They then forwarded me some video that a reference/former employer of yours sent to them
:think:

But they told me I have a way with words when I finished! And I nailed it so afterwards I asked "I'm assuming you've heard enough?" and they answered "absolutely". So, I still wonder what happened?

Great clip, how is the movie?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great clip, how is the movie?
Grey and gruelling Is how id describe it lol. Great acting. Character study of 2 men gone mad. Shakepearean moments. Some unintentionally funny rants (see above). Restarted the movie after 15 minutes because it needed subtitles turned on lol

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grey and gruelling Is how id describe it lol. Great acting. Character study of 2 men gone mad. Shakepearean moments. Some unintentionally funny rants (see above). Restarted the movie after 15 minutes because it needed subtitles turned on lol
Lol, I want to see it but haven't started it yet because of how it looks. I'll remember the subtitles.

There's a "comedy" on Hulu called In My Skin about a Welsh girl. The small town Welsh accent drove me insane and I had to turn subtitles on. Its a good show, just not often funny.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My son is playing rep team placement hockey games this weekend. He has already played 3 with one more to go this afternoon. Theyre playing in a public/city owned arena (2000 seat capacity) and the city isnt allowing anyone into the arena except for game volunteers (which as of right now will also be the rule for the regular season). The upside is its a great way to get parent volunteers since everyone wants to see their kid play. But everyone thinks its overkill. They could let parents in with mandatory masks and tape off standing room spots in the upper concourse and there would be plenty of room to social distance. But the city is so worried about liability that theyre going with this rule.

in the north east corner of the arena theres 15 by 15 foot floor to ceiling windows that usually have blinds down but someone has pulled them up so all the parents congregate there to watch the games.

someone on the hockey association executive board took a picture of the scene (parents standing shoulder to shoulder) and sent it to the city yesterday (A SATURDAY ???) and asked how is this safer than letting one person per family go into the arena and social distance and watch their kid play

the city response: the blinds are now down :ohwell: