• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - I'm bored, Part 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rats, Reynolds was already dealt to the Orioles. Maybe Pena would be worth a shot. He'd come cheap, and he can't be worse than whatever the Pirates have at first right now (and I don't even know what that is).

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers are listening to offers for Michael Young.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really now? I think that would be fantastic if the Pirates could land him, but I don't think they have the stuff to give up for him. I'd make a deal for him of Evan Meek, Gorkys Hernandez, and Justin Wilson and see if that got him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figures up for the Diaz signing. 2 years and $6 million. I think the Pirates have made two savvy signings so far. Olsen sucks. Correia and Diaz were good buy-low signings, though.

Pena and Lee seem to be the only two 1st base options for the Pirates. I would prefer Lee, but I'd say Pena's also worth the risk on a buy-low. If Beltre didn't want so much length, he would be an option, too, and they could move Alvarez to first. But Beltre wants 5 years, and that would be a bad deal. So I hope they target Lee first and then go after Pena as a last resort.

My plan:
Trade for JJ Hardy, get rid of Doumit, sign Lee/Pena and Duchsherer/Webb. That would put them pretty much right at the salary they have budgeted. If they don't sign one of the pitchers, lock up McCutchen long-term. If they do those things, I'll call it a successful offseason for the Pirates.

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool highlight video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Chris, is PNC a hitter-friendly park?

It's pretty average. Easy for lefties to jack some home runs, bit gap in right-center for righties, and a short porch right down the foul line, but overall I'd say neither hitter nor pitcher friendly.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spokane beats Portland 9-3 tonight. They now have a nice little 3 game winning streak against the Winterhawks and they've only given up 12 goals in 5 games against Portland this season.

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty average. Easy for lefties to jack some home runs, bit gap in right-center for righties, and a short porch right down the foul line, but overall I'd say neither hitter nor pitcher friendly.

So it wouldn't necessarily be a boost for a guy like Beltre?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it wouldn't necessarily be a boost for a guy like Beltre?

Nope, and since Beltre only has one good season out of every four years, I wouldn't sign him.

My wish list now is Derek Lee/Troy Glaus/Russel Branyan (in that order), J.J. Hardy, Duchsherer, Gregg, and getting rid of Ryan Doumit. Bill Hall would be a good depth signing, as well, and the Pirates are in talks with him now. He can play nearly every position on the diamond and has power. He'd be extremely valuable utility man. And if Walker gets hurt or underperforms, I would be okay with him at 2B until Walker got back into it.

Tabata (LF), McCutchen (CF), Lee/Glaus/Branyan (1B), Alvarez (3B), Diaz/Jones (RF), Walker (2B), Hardy (SS), Snyder (C)

Duchsherer, Ohlendorf, Maholm, Correia, McDonald (Olsen, Morton, Lincoln, Karstens, Gallagher)

Gregg, Meek, Hanrahan, Resop, Ledezma, two of the non-starters from above

Cedeno, Hall, Pearce, Jaramillo, someone else

It won't contend, but it would be better than last year...

Status
Not open for further replies.