• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Guitar Talk

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I bought it:

Attachments

• IMG_20201011_170223.jpg
    IMG_20201011_170223.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 5

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Looks brand new!
Did the case come with?
That's $50 right there.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
a bit surprising, you'd think with people locked in home they would be picking up hobbies.
hopefully leaves a bit more room for independents.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a bit surprising, you'd think with people locked in home they would be picking up hobbies.

I knew they were having some financial issues but not to the tune of 800 million in debt. I wonder how everyone else is making out; are they all getting killed by covid?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I knew they were having some financial issues but not to the tune of 800 million in debt. I wonder how everyone else is making out; are they all getting killed by covid?
as a re-seller, how can you possible be 800M in debt (other than owning real estate, in which case you have assets to liquidate)
you have inventory to carry, and that's it. And you'd think a shop of that size would have pretty decent trade terms with the manufacturers.

don't know how they other shops are doing, as I'm not allowed to buy guitars anymore.
also, I haven't been in a store other than groceries since February
but I don't think craigslist is an attractive option to go to a stranger's house.
at least at a shop you would presume there would be some protocols. and less Stairway to Heaven now probably.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gibson SG...

1605656290845.png

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
???
looks like a Fender Tele

as an AC/DC fan, you should know a Gibson SG when you see one :thumb:

----------
lol. picture changed now. yes, that's a sweet looking SG.
haven't seen one with a grain like that before

Last edited:
Reactions: GNG

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as a re-seller, how can you possible be 800M in debt (other than owning real estate, in which case you have assets to liquidate)
you have inventory to carry, and that's it. And you'd think a shop of that size would have pretty decent trade terms with the manufacturers.

don't know how they other shops are doing, as I'm not allowed to buy guitars anymore.
also, I haven't been in a store other than groceries since February
but I don't think craigslist is an attractive option to go to a stranger's house.
at least at a shop you would presume there would be some protocols. and less Stairway to Heaven now probably.
"I'm not allowed to buy guitars anymore".

In the past 5 or 6 years, I've spent upwards of $25 000 on keyboards; hand drums; recording software (Pro Tools, Waves plugins, Isotope mastering suite, etc); sound absorption paneling, high-end studio monitors, headphones, microphones, cords, audio interface, etc. I'm surprised that the wifey hasn't put the kibosh on me purchasing anything.

To add some context -- for a good 10 years or so when the kids were in school, we put every penny we had into making sure the kids were able to participate and enjoy every activity/endeavor they were in to. I wasn't making a lot of money back then so I really didn't have the chance to buy a lot of musical equipment. In the past few years, however, I've been lucky enough to find work here in town that pays more than I could dream of, all things considered. I'm really lucky that the wifey is allowing me to spend some extra cash on stuff I had to forgo when the kids were in school.

Anyway, I'm not trying to rub it in or suggest you need to be more alpha (not that I think you'd take this that way); but I certainly understand the dynamics that go into a moratorium on not buying any more equipment.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
"I'm not allowed to buy guitars anymore".

In the past 5 or 6 years, I've spent upwards of $25 000 on keyboards; hand drums; recording software (Pro Tools, Waves plugins, Isotope mastering suite, etc); sound absorption paneling, high-end studio monitors, headphones, microphones, cords, audio interface, etc. I'm surprised that the wifey hasn't put the kibosh on me purchasing anything.

To add some context -- for a good 10 years or so when the kids were in school, we put every penny we had into making sure the kids were able to participate and enjoy every activity/endeavor they were in to. I wasn't making a lot of money back then so I really didn't have the chance to buy a lot of musical equipment. In the past few years, however, I've been lucky enough to find work here in town that pays more than I could dream of, all things considered. I'm really lucky that the wifey is allowing me to spend some extra cash on stuff I had to forgo when the kids were in school.

Anyway, I'm not trying to rub it in or suggest you need to be more alpha (not that I think you'd take this that way); but I certainly understand the dynamics that go into a moratorium on not buying any more equipment.
yeah, that line was largely tongue in cheek.
She did start to raise an eyebrow when something new came into the house, but never said anything.
The way she buys clothes, she has no room to speak lol.
It was becoming a bit of an addiction for me. the thrill of the chase, so to speak. browsing craigslist, the gear page, etc. way too many temptations.
I have everything I need, and a bunch of stuff I don't.

plus my kid is getting close to university age (how the fuck did time fly THAT fast!), so that's the focus right now.
then when she's out of the house, we can downsize, so i likely won't have a man cave / studio any more.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looks like they're owned by an equity fund. Probably the same old story: kept no cash-on-hand, figured the debt regime would last forever. Economic crisis comes up and that's no longer tenable.

I got 3 guitars: Martin D28, Gibson J45 and MIM Telecaster. If I was making product recommendations:
(1) Strap locks for the electric.
(2) Blue chip picks. They're expensive ($35 + 5 for monogram), but really bring out the tone on an acoustic (though I use them on the Tele as well). Started out with the TD50 (teardrop shape) for bluegrass, have since gotten a TD48 which has 3 playable corners (like the Dunlop Primetone)

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My ex brother-in-law owned a small ski shop. He was never a good money manager, but basically they had to go like $100K in hock every spring to buy new inventory, and hope to make a profit by the end of the winter. And that's just one little shop for one year.

This year, the ski business stopped early for Covid. Not sure if they've opened up yet. But, whoever owns that shop now probably got fucked.

So, a big national music retailer who loses a year of sales, and is deemed non-essential and therefore expendable by a government that doesn't give a shit is fucked, too.

Edit: I looked it up. They're not even predicting an opening day. It would have been about now.

Last edited:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
every guitar thread needs a drum section

for $275k, you'd think they would include shipping

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Firing up the wayback machine. Child the younger wants to learn guitar (and eventually bass) and I am looking to get a starter kit to start to be sure she sticks with it. Here are the three main ones I am looking at:

There are many others on amazon and Guitar Center, but these are by companies I have heard of.

I understand that if this works out and the kid takes to it, I will be buying many more, higher quality guitars down the line. I know Les Pauls are phenomenal guitars and very versatile and I see that Epiphone is a subsidiary of Gibson so I am leaning that way to start. I know that she ultimately wants an SG or a Explorer as the likes of AC/DC, Mettalica and Judas Priest are her idols. She wants "cool looking" guitars, but telling her that Slash, Zakk Wylde, Kirk Hammett, and Alex Lifeson play Les Paul's will probably lessen that. I just need to make sure I never mention that the guy from Green Day does too.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
of those I would lean Epiphone.
LP's are definitely cool guitars (it's my #1).

another to look at in that similar budget are Yamaha Pacifica line.
Japanese build these things to last forever.
it's more of a Stratocaster knock off, so the style may not suit.
you are right, at the beginning it's important that she wants to pick it up frequently, so looks/style are a part of that.

Fender's knock off is Squier series, and there are a few levels of quality
Classic Vibe series are great, but those have gotten close to $600 now.
I think the affinity series is the one below, in the $300 range.
avoid the lowest Squier models, the electronics tend to be shit.

if you buy it in a store, have them throw in a set-up.
will make it play better and easier, and could avoid some frustration

one other tip, get a cheap distortion pedal so she can make it sound more filthy.
a friend's daughter was playing for a while and got kind of stagnant because she couldn't make the sounds she wanted to.
I gave her one of my extra dirt pedals and it rejuvenated her.
can be cheap - like $40 or so.
Behringer, Joyo are decent brands.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of those I would lean Epiphone.
LP's are definitely cool guitars (it's my #1).

another to look at in that similar budget are Yamaha Pacifica line.
Japanese build these things to last forever.
it's more of a Stratocaster knock off, so the style may not suit.
you are right, at the beginning it's important that she wants to pick it up frequently, so looks/style are a part of that.

Fender's knock off is Squier series, and there are a few levels of quality
Classic Vibe series are great, but those have gotten close to $600 now.
I think the affinity series is the one below, in the $300 range.
avoid the lowest Squier models, the electronics tend to be shit.

if you buy it in a store, have them throw in a set-up.
will make it play better and easier, and could avoid some frustration

one other tip, get a cheap distortion pedal so she can make it sound more filthy.
a friend's daughter was playing for a while and got kind of stagnant because she couldn't make the sounds she wanted to.
I gave her one of my extra dirt pedals and it rejuvenated her.
can be cheap - like $40 or so.
Behringer, Joyo are decent brands.
I did look at the Yamaha kit but they look pretty bland. The paint doesn't really stand out. I like the look of the Epiphone, but she is steadfastly against a sunburst and the neat blue ones are out of stock.

First upgrade in line is a higher quality amp, but I will be on the lookout for pedals.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I did look at the Yamaha kit but they look pretty bland. The paint doesn't really stand out. I like the look of the Epiphone, but she is steadfastly against a sunburst and the neat blue ones are out of stock.

First upgrade in line is a higher quality amp, but I will be on the lookout for pedals.
I love my Pacifica (on the right) . That thing has been through wars and stayed in tune.
It ain't pretty, but it's damned sure sexy. :thumb:

20230710_141814.jpg