• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - Google Directions

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just had to go play with Google maps and to walk from somewhere in Maine to San Diego, it would take you 41days and 21 hours to walk the 3,146 miles and I doubt they take rest/sleep into account. It also said that I should use caution because the route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths. I am sueing!

Lol. That's 75 miles a day! I'm not sure I know anyone who can run 3 marathons a day for more than a month straight.

More importantly, I can't believe we don't have a sidewalk that goes all the way from Maine to San Diego! Get on that Congress!

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, here's a brief story i know to be true (uncle lawyer story). a young girl who attended a private christian school out in california was out at recess with the rest of her class. she was holding open the gate and part of her fingers got caught in the gate. there was no immediate adult supervision on this particular child and she did lose the tips of 3 fingers i believe. the parents were suing upwards of 350k's. for finger tips. i mean...it's like nothing is safe i guess. i remember recess...big area, and a few aids were around to keep us in line...kids get hurt, i guess i just can't imagine suing a church for that much money over something that didn't affect the child's ability in the least.

Oddly enough, I could have sued an exercise equipment company in a class action suit b/c my finger tip got cut off by a weight bench when I was a teenager. But they sewed it back on and my parents' insurance covered all the medical bills, so there was no need. Another kid in my town a year younger than me did sue b/c he lost part of his finger in the same weight bench. Dangerous at any speed!!!

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, here's a brief story i know to be true (uncle lawyer story). a young girl who attended a private christian school out in california was out at recess with the rest of her class. she was holding open the gate and part of her fingers got caught in the gate. there was no immediate adult supervision on this particular child and she did lose the tips of 3 fingers i believe. the parents were suing upwards of 350k's. for finger tips. i mean...it's like nothing is safe i guess. i remember recess...big area, and a few aids were around to keep us in line...kids get hurt, i guess i just can't imagine suing a church for that much money over something that didn't affect the child's ability in the least.

OK, I lied but not on purpose. That story does remind me of someone I know that sued. He worked for a major defense contractor in my area and lost the tip of his finger when something was dropped when it shouldnt have been. He and the union filed a suit that was quickly settled. I think it was 20k or so.

Nothing is safe, I agree. All of the playgrounds I played on as a kid were either built on bare concrete or hard ground. Nowadays here they are all built with a half inch rubber mat covering the whole surface, or a couple inches of mulch.

Oh well, I have no kids but I am sure I would be happier with the rubber mat if I did.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK searched the web (for like a second) and found weird warnings

On a massage chair: "Do not use massage chair without clothing... and never force any body part into the backrest area while the rollers are moving"
- On an electric router made for carpenters: “This product not intended for use as a dental drill”
- A warning label found on a baby stroller cautions the user to “Remove child before folding”
- A prescription of sleeping pills stating, “Warning: May cause drowsiness”
- A sticker on a toilet at a public facility warning: “Recycled flush water unsafe for drinking”
- A snowblower warning: "Do not use snowthrower on roof"
- On a dishwasher: "Do not allow children to play in the dishwasher"
- Unusual warning on a CD player: “Do not use the Ultradisc2000 as a projectile in a catapult.”
- An “Aim-n-Flame” fireplace lighter cautions, “Do not use near fire, flame or sparks”
- A label on a hand-held massager advises consumers not to use “while sleeping or unconscious”
- On a container of underarm deodorant: “Caution: Do not spray in eyes”
- On a cartridge for a laser printer: “Do not eat toner”
- A household iron warns users: “Never iron clothes while they are being worn”
- A label with a hair dryer reads, “Never use hair dryer while sleeping”
- A 13-inch wheel on a wheelbarrow warns: “Not intended for highway use”
- A cardboard car sunshield that keeps sun off the dashboard warns, “Do not drive with sunshield in place”
- On a Bathroom Heater: “This product is not to be used in bathrooms”
- A can of self-defense pepper spray warns users: “May irritate eyes”
- A warning on a pair of shin guards manufactured for bicyclists: “Shin pads cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover”
- A popular manufactured fireplace log warns: “Caution - Risk of Fire”
- A box of birthday cake candles says: “DO NOT use soft wax as ear plugs or for any other function that involves insertion into a body cavity.”

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- A box of birthday cake candles says: “DO NOT use soft wax as ear plugs or for any other function that involves insertion into a body cavity.”
Damn, there goes my weekend plans...

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out a frozen pizza box sometime.......Warning, Cook before eating.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave, This would be a great OT !

I just saw one that said "On a roll of Life Savers: Not for use as a flotation
device"

Or this gem "On a disposable razor: Do not use this product during an earthquake".

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, Here's a good one. On a Lawnmower
"Warning: When Motor Is Running – The Blade Is Turning"

Last edited by a moderator:

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few notes:

First of all, McDonald's had 700 cases relating to coffee burns between 1982 and 1992. That is 70 cases a year. McDonald's sells at least 70 million cups of coffee in a year, I would imagine, so we have a literal one-in-a-million chance of any individual cup of coffee causing a burn. One in a million would be an acceptable failure rate for something like VACCINATIONS, which potentially cause DEATH if they fail. This is opposed to hot beverages, which are subject to user interference. As in, if I pour hot coffee on you, that's my fault. If I give you a cup of coffee and you spill it, it's at least partially your fault.

Coffee does need to be brewed at rather hot temperatures in order to create the best flavor. Optimal temperature is 92-96 degrees Celsius, or about 195-205 degrees Farenheit. McDonald's coffee is brewed at around these temperatures. And actually, elocomotive, McDonald's does not and did not serve coffee at a higher temperature than most chains. Burger King, Starbucks, etc. all serve coffee around the same temperature McDonald's does.

One of the contributing factors to the burns was the fact that the woman put the coffee between her legs to add cream and sugar and it spilled. The coffee got absorbed into her clothing, which is what held it against her skin for as long as it did and helped cause the burns. I'm not suggesting she not wear clothing, of course, but did she sue her clothing maker as well? Failure to warn that it posed a significant absorption threat, and did not inform customers of the potential hazard of hot liquids?

Yes, it is unfortunate that this woman was burned. But given that coffee needs to be hot to taste good, that the woman put the coffee between her legs to add cream and sugar and thus helped cause her burns, that the coffee really wasn't served at an excessively high temperature, and given that there were both a reasonable expectation that the coffee would be hot and a warning to that effect printed on the cup, I'm still not sure why she was awarded money.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out a frozen pizza box sometime.......Warning, Cook before eating.

That's actually a valid warning. It's letting you know that the frozen pizza contains raw ingredients. It's different than a precooked and refrozen pizza that you simply need to reheat.

And I've eaten cold pizza before. Heck, sometimes it tastes better than when it's hot.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE
Yes, it is unfortunate that this woman was burned. But given that coffee needs to be hot to taste good, that the woman put the coffee between her legs to add cream and sugar and thus helped cause her burns, that the coffee really wasn't served at an excessively high temperature, and given that there were both a reasonable expectation that the coffee would be hot and a warning to that effect printed on the cup, I'm still not sure why she was awarded money.[/QUOTE]

Hell i would be willing to pour a hot cup of coffee on my crotch to get the money she got. True, it would hurt like hell but I'd get over it. :)

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's actually a valid warning. It's letting you know that the frozen pizza contains raw ingredients. It's different than a precooked and refrozen pizza that you simply need to reheat.

And I've eaten cold pizza before. Heck, sometimes it tastes better than when it's hot.

I would assume that in most frozen pizzas everything is already cooked. Not sure I'd want to eat one while still frozen though, doesn't sound like a nice dessert to me. Probably a wise idea to have that warning on foods that are usually cooked anyway.

Boss, knock yourself out but I'll pass on getting Burnt for Bucks. (coming soon to Fox!) I have only had minor burns in my life and they still hurt like hell, cannot imagine 3rd degree ones with skin grafts. Especially in that area.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, from the story, it sounds like they passed Canadian tests but failed American ones (because the standards are different?). That's kind of an important check, McDs.

I can't wait for the lawsuits 10 years down the road, from customers who might not learn about the recall. Ugh, that's why you need to triple check your products, guys. Not everyone will see everything.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would assume that in most frozen pizzas everything is already cooked. Not sure I'd want to eat one while still frozen though, doesn't sound like a nice dessert to me. Probably a wise idea to have that warning on foods that are usually cooked anyway.

Boss, knock yourself out but I'll pass on getting Burnt for Bucks. (coming soon to Fox!) I have only had minor burns in my life and they still hurt like hell, cannot imagine 3rd degree ones with skin grafts. Especially in that area.

Some frozen pizzas have raw pizza dough and some shitty pizzas have egg in them.