• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: free UFC heavyweight championship fight

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I couldn't figure out why UFC and FOX were giving away Velasquez - Dos Santos fight for free... and I think a main reason now is to trump the Pacquaio PPV fight.

Would you rather pay to see Pacquaio or get the UFC fight for free? They are going to screw up the PPV boxing numbers.

Offensive strategy to bury the only division in boxing that can still draw a PPV.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're giving it free because it's the first time ever the UFC will put on a fight on broadcast TV giving millions of people the chance to see their first fight. They wanted to make it a big fight to draw in the media and drive up the ratings. This fight will go a long way into building the relationship between UFC and FOX going into their deal together starting next year. If the ratings are huge you can expect more big fight nights like this in the future. If the shows tanks I imagine you get fights more like the Versus and Spike TV live ones which are usually non-title. The UFC wants to be what boxing use to be with a huge media following and household named fighters that everyone wants to see. They know to achieve this they need more than just PPV.

To anyone that cares only the title fight airs on FOX. The entire undercard will be streaming free on Facebook and FOX.com. It features matchup for the #1 contender for the Lightweight Title.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a big waste. That fight lasted 1 minute 20 seconds or something. I thought it was a waste. I feel they should have shown at least 3 fights. If you are trying to grow the sport to the public, I feel you have to give them more to go by. And you get no build up and sense for the event with 1 fight. The feeling I got during this event was this.... Ever been with a chick and you are about to start sexing when something happens to interrupt and that's it?? That's what UFC on FOX felt like.

I understand why they had this fight for the first FOX show, but keep title fights in PPV, and have free fights with up and comers and contender fights.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a big waste. That fight lasted 1 minute 20 seconds or something. I thought it was a waste. I feel they should have shown at least 3 fights. If you are trying to grow the sport to the public, I feel you have to give them more to go by. And you get no build up and sense for the event with 1 fight. The feeling I got during this event was this.... Ever been with a chick and you are about to start sexing when something happens to interrupt and that's it?? That's what UFC on FOX felt like.

I understand why they had this fight for the first FOX show, but keep title fights in PPV, and have free fights with up and comers and contender fights.

They really should have put the Ben Henderson vs Clay Guida #1 contender fight on TV. Then the 64 second title fight would not have seemed so bad.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really should have put the Ben Henderson vs Clay Guida #1 contender fight on TV. Then the 64 second title fight would not have seemed so bad.

I agree. If that title fight was at the end of a regular card I would have been happy with it, even though I would have rather seen a competitive fight. But since it was the only fight I was annoyed.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet my buddy right before the fight began that Dos Santos would win. Cain didn't look himself coming out. Kind of a weak fight considering what it could have been.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet my buddy right before the fight began that Dos Santos would win. Cain didn't look himself coming out. Kind of a weak fight considering what it could have been.

Cain hadn't had a fight in far too long. I new Dos Santos would win as well. Cain doesn't have much of a chin either.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His chin wasn't tested. He does, however, have a glass left temple.

I'm speaking generally. He was dropped 3 times by jabs in the fight against Kongo. Aside from this fight those were the only real blows he has taken in the UFC.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Next up is Overeem laying out Lesner.

I was a big Lesnar fan, but he seems overconfident in himself now.

He's gotten totally outpunched by Carwin and then Cain, and he's slow and awkward on his feet when striking. Overeem and Dos Santos would both probably knock out Lesnar on their feet.

Curious to see Overeem in the UFC.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm speaking generally. He was dropped 3 times by jabs in the fight against Kongo. Aside from this fight those were the only real blows he has taken in the UFC.

Just being facetious, man. I found it pretty funny. My wife went to put my kiddo to bed right as they were announcing the start of the fight, and I was thinking, "I'm going to have to turn this off when she comes back out."

Ehhhhh, not so much. I would have preferred seeing a better fight. One that at least saw the third minute of the first round. Is what it is. I didn't have to pay for it.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just being facetious, man. I found it pretty funny. My wife went to put my kiddo to bed right as they were announcing the start of the fight, and I was thinking, "I'm going to have to turn this off when she comes back out."

Ehhhhh, not so much. I would have preferred seeing a better fight. One that at least saw the third minute of the first round. Is what it is. I didn't have to pay for it.

Yeah, kind of a, "don't blink" type of fight. If Overeem can avoid getting taken down he should win and that would set up a pretty good championship fight.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, kind of a, "don't blink" type of fight. If Overeem can avoid getting taken down he should win and that would set up a pretty good championship fight.

That's the basic strategy to defeat Brock now everytime, have good enough take down defense so when Brock shoots you can stop it, and then just be even an average striker and you can knock him out on your feet.

Brock looks about as agile as a rhino when striking.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brock has never fought someone with the striking that Overeem will bring. Overeem also may be just as strong as Lesner, with that said I'm not sold on Overeem off his back so if Brock can get the fight to ground I like his chances to grind out a victory. I think Overeem will punishing him though.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sold on Overeem off his back is an understatement. He's awful on his back. That being said, Lesnar is awful on his feet. He hasn't been in the game long enough to know what it feels like to get hit. It shows. He really doesn't like getting hit. He starts to panic and runs. It takes getting used to, to take punches and learn to react to them. That's why you train so your body reacts to things like that.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This fight was so short my wife barely had time to get mad at me for watching it.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cain hadn't had a fight in far too long. I new Dos Santos would win as well. Cain doesn't have much of a chin either.

All of those things convinced me i had to make the best. After he walked out into the ring i knew he would lose. I have to admit, when Cain was landing those leg kicks i started to get a little nervous.