• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: ESPN's NFL Sunday Countdowns next 4 topics

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know exactly why he gets the coverage. Cause he's a good ol Christian boy. That's it. It's just unfortunate that fools drool over this stuff so the REAL football fans have to suffer. I love the game, not the players. Certainly not ones who suck especially. I just feel bad for the other football fans who instead of seeing game previews have to watch a 5 minute piece on how he prays.

Bullshit. He doesn't get coverage because he's a Christian. If no one cared, he wouldn't get coverage. You're a hater. I find that word to be incredibly stupid and overused, but there's no other way to describe you when it comes to Tebow.

If you watch pregame shows for news, I don't see how you can call yourself a REAL football fan. Those aren't news shows. They are entertainment shows.

What was the 5 minute piece on how he prays?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hell no people aren't legitimately praying when doing the Tebow, I'm fully aware of what a meme is. I know it's being done as a fun little joke. That's what makes it funny to me, when you say they didn't embrace Warner like they do Tebow. A lot of people who are tebowing, aren't doing it to honor him and embrace him, it's more of a tongue in cheek mockery of the hype.

I agree with you that networks follow numbers, no doubt. And I'm not even blaming EPSN entirely, He gets some of the blame, he is selling that image too, other networks as well....But I don't watch Tebow games, I didn't follow him closely in college, and I don't now. But his religious views have been talked about enough that I associate him with it, and I do it in a way that I haven't done with any other player since I've been alive.

That associate didn't come out of no where. It comes from sports pundits following up stories with him by talking about how he is such a good god loving man. It comes from them showing those sound bites of him saying those things and discussing it like it's new, like no other player has done it and it's refreshing to see.

I don't have any specific articles in mind, cause I don't go out of my way to read articles on him, I don't care about him like that. But you denying that portion of him is hyped up more than it should be doesn't make sense to me.

You're stuck on stories from 2 or 3 years ago. The fact that you can't cite any articles indicates you may be speaking from a position of ignorance here.

Is it possible he's getting so much coverage because he is widely considered the greatest college football player ever, was a controversial first round pick with the vast majority of experts saying he wouldn't make it as a QB and should go in the 4th or 5th round, but is now getting a chance at QB?

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow, apparently at some point you were just surgically attached to his jock. To think it has nothing to do with his religion is just stupid. Is it his fantastic play then? Let me know how his play has warranted that type of coverage. College was one thing, but the NFL isn't college. Dude's a career backup QB. I wanna watch Tebow pieces as much as I wanna watch Sorgi pieces because their isn't much of a difference except Tebow can scramble.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're stuck on stories from 2 or 3 years ago. The fact that you can't cite any articles indicates you may be speaking from a position of ignorance here.

Is it possible he's getting so much coverage because he is widely considered the greatest college football player ever, was a controversial first round pick with the vast majority of experts saying he wouldn't make it as a QB and should go in the 4th or 5th round, but is now getting a chance at QB?

Yes I never questioned past success playing a role in it. I live in New Mexico there is a bunch of Broncos fans out here, I've found myself asking them how Tebow did after games, and it's the only thing we talk about. I'm not a hater, I'm genuinely curious.

The one thing I don't understand is the religious hype. My views aren't ignorance, it just shows how much it's been covered. I know people who don't watch football, who know him as "that christian guy", they don't know his college success or where he was drafted, he is the christian guy.

I don't get why I've seen pundits say his faith is refreshing, when after every game I see people thank god, and kneel prayer...what he is doing isn't new.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow, apparently at some point you were just surgically attached to his jock. To think it has nothing to do with his religion is just stupid. Is it his fantastic play then? Let me know how his play has warranted that type of coverage. College was one thing, but the NFL isn't college. Dude's a career backup QB. I wanna watch Tebow pieces as much as I wanna watch Sorgi pieces because their isn't much of a difference except Tebow can scramble.

You are a hater. It's that simple. He's popular, so you don't like him.

As I have pointed out, but you have apparently missed due to your blind hatred, the coverage isn't about his play. It's about his popularity.

Stop hating.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes I never questioned past success playing a role in it. I live in New Mexico there is a bunch of Broncos fans out here, I've found myself asking them how Tebow did after games, and it's the only thing we talk about. I'm not a hater, I'm genuinely curious.

The one thing I don't understand is the religious hype. My views aren't ignorance, it just shows how much it's been covered. I know people who don't watch football, who know him as "that christian guy", they don't know his college success or where he was drafted, he is the christian guy.

I don't get why I've seen pundits say his faith is refreshing, when after every game I see people thank god, and kneel prayer...what he is doing isn't new.

His religion ISN'T being covered now. It was a big deal when he was in college and just making a name for himself. It's hardly talked about now. The reason I said you're speaking from ignorance is because you said you haven't followed any of the stories about him. If you aren't following the stories, how can you say what they're about?

Who cares what people who don't follow football know him as? They don't follow football, so they aren't seeing the coverage he gets from football related shows. They get the coverage from 60 minutes and dateline. Do you really think someone that doesn't follow football will spend 2 hours watching Countdown on a Sunday morning?

Tell me another player who was as successful as Tebow in college and predicted to fail as horribly in the NFL.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The sports media in general is pretty crummy for actual in depth football news.

I mean before Tebow it was

"What's wrong with the Eagles?"
"How do you fix the Eagles?"
"Dream team the nightmare team"
"Should Reid be fired?"
"Who's to blame for the Eagles sucking?"

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dude there is a commercial where he is reciting a prayer. Superbowl he had another commercial opposing abortion because of his religious beliefs. Guess I was just imagining those. And I hate his because he's popular? Really? I guess since I like Tom Brady he must not be popular then. Face it, you can't name anything except a comeback against the leagues worst team as his pro accomplishments. The guy is, and always will be the Jesus guy.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dude there is a commercial where he is reciting a prayer. Superbowl he had another commercial opposing abortion because of his religious beliefs. Guess I was just imagining those. And I hate his because he's popular? Really? I guess since I like Tom Brady he must not be popular then. Face it, you can't name anything except a comeback against the leagues worst team as his pro accomplishments. The guy is, and always will be the Jesus guy.

Hater. Which Super Bowl was that? When was the last time that commercial aired? It was 22 fucking months ago. That's what you're complaining about today? And you say he's always going to be the Jesus guy? If that's all you'll let him be, then yes, in your eyes that's all he'll ever be. But maybe you should get with the times?

You're a hater. You hate Christians.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lmao, are you 12? The praying commercial was as recent as 2 weeks ago you clown. You have no idea who I hate and why I hate them. If you're ending debates with calling people haters, maybe you're more suited for the facebook crowd. It's evident you aren't really bringing anything to the table here. All you can seem to do is GUESS why I don't like Tebow instead of telling us why we should like him. If I'm missing something here let me know. College accomplishments are great and all, but for college. We're talking about NFL. Now if I offended your love for your boyfriend and I crossed the line, then let me know. I'm just trying to figure out what he has done to warrant him being on tv all day.

One last question, do you have his underwear poster above your bed? lol You know you do.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His religion ISN'T being covered now. It was a big deal when he was in college and just making a name for himself. It's hardly talked about now. The reason I said you're speaking from ignorance is because you said you haven't followed any of the stories about him. If you aren't following the stories, how can you say what they're about?

Who cares what people who don't follow football know him as? They don't follow football, so they aren't seeing the coverage he gets from football related shows. They get the coverage from 60 minutes and dateline. Do you really think someone that doesn't follow football will spend 2 hours watching Countdown on a Sunday morning?

Tell me another player who was as successful as Tebow in college and predicted to fail as horribly in the NFL.

Ok maybe I'm ignorant as far as specific article go, I don't look for them or read them. BUT that means there is other places that gave me my Tebow/Christian association. I watch Sports shows, that's what gave me the impression. That's my point. It didn't come from no where. I don't know articles, I don't follow tebow closely, but the connection is made heavy enough by others that it's engrained in me now.

Maybe it was the past, but the tebowing is now, and it is based on the reality of the hype.

I have ZERO problem with him being hyped as a successful player. If he turns around Denver he deserves it, good for him. Everyone said he would fail including me, I still don't expect high success from him, but if he proves me wrong good, the league is better for it. He seems like a nice dude. He has GREAT heart. I don't even care that he loves his religion, I just think some of the coverage it got is unusual.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lmao, are you 12? The praying commercial was as recent as 2 weeks ago you clown. You have no idea who I hate and why I hate them. If you're ending debates with calling people haters, maybe you're more suited for the facebook crowd. It's evident you aren't really bringing anything to the table here. All you can seem to do is GUESS why I don't like Tebow instead of telling us why we should like him. If I'm missing something here let me know. College accomplishments are great and all, but for college. We're talking about NFL. Now if I offended your love for your boyfriend and I crossed the line, then let me know. I'm just trying to figure out what he has done to warrant him being on tv all day.

One last question, do you have his underwear poster above your bed? lol You know you do.

You've made it very clear that you hate Tebow, and you're making it quite clear his religion plays a significant role in that hatred.

If it seems I haven't brought anything to the table, it's likely because you have ignored the main points regarding why he's popular on multiple occasions. I'm not going to spell it out for you every time I respond to your ignorance. So here it is one more time. If you can't respond to it, then stop responding at all.

Also, I didn't ask about the praying commercial (was that commercial sponsored by ESPN, remember, you complained about how the media covers him, not his sponsorships). I asked when the Super Bowl commercial aired. Try to answer the questions posed, don't make up questions to answer.

Now, onto why he gets so much coverage.

1. Because more people are willing to watch Tebow news than are willing to change the channel. This is how TV shows work. They don't cater to the individual. Chris Berman won't come to your house for 2 hours Sunday morning to customize your Countdown experience.

2. He is generally considered the greatest college football player EVER. He came to the NFL under much controversy as a FOOTBALL PLAYER. The vast majority of NFL pundits and draft experts said he would never make it as a QB in the NFL. HE should be a mid round pick and will have to change positions to have any sort of success. He was drafted in the first round to play QB. That was very controversial. Now he's getting a chance to play QB and, given how much talk there was about him not being able to play QB when he was drafted, that is being re-visited. Last week solved nothing in the debate. He led his team to victory (the QBs ultimate job) but looked horrible in doing so.

That leads to more debate. You get the "he wins games" crowd against the "he's a horrible QB" crowd. Based on last week's game, both were right. The debate continues. Why does it get so much attention? See reason 1 above.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ok maybe I'm ignorant as far as specific article go, I don't look for them or read them. BUT that means there is other places that gave me my Tebow/Christian association. I watch Sports shows, that's what gave me the impression. That's my point. It didn't come from no where. I don't know articles, I don't follow tebow closely, but the connection is made heavy enough by others that it's engrained in me now.

Maybe it was the past, but the tebowing is now, and it is based on the reality of the hype.

I have ZERO problem with him being hyped as a successful player. If he turns around Denver he deserves it, good for him. Everyone said he would fail including me, I still don't expect high success from him, but if he proves me wrong good, the league is better for it. He seems like a nice dude. He has GREAT heart. I don't even care that he loves his religion, I just think some of the coverage it got is unusual.

The hype gets the coverage. Tebowing is a thing. It's a stupid thing, but it's a thing. Therefore it will get coverage. Countdown spent about 2 minutes talking about it.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hype gets the coverage. Tebowing is a thing. It's a stupid thing, but it's a thing. Therefore it will get coverage. Countdown spent about 2 minutes talking about it.

Fair enough. Nothing you says will make me stop feeling it's unusual though. I've never associated a player with a religion hand in hand like this before.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The fact that all you've gotten out of everything I said is "you hate Tebow" and "you hate Christians" is hilarious.

1. Hate is a strong word, I don't "Hate" anybody because of their religious views. Free country right? Pray to who you want to, I don't give a shit.
2. A large portion of my family is Christian. Do I hate them because of that? No, that's retarded to think so.
3. Why would I "Hate" Tebow? I don't know the guy. I don't blame him for the coverage. If you read the title, it's not a knock on him, it's a knock on BSPN. You're just so ready to jump on anyone and call them a hater that you didn't even get the point.

You almost get to making a good point, then you start talking like a pre-teen message board kid. You should work on that.

Now here's one last thing though for ya. If you don't think religion has anything to do with his hype, why does Tebow get more coverage and hype than Cam Newton even though Cam's play is light years ahead of Tebow?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fair enough. Nothing you says will make me stop feeling it's unusual though. I've never associated a player with a religion hand in hand like this before.

Sure it's unusual, that doesn't mean it's unwarranted.

Tebow is associated with religion because of his time at UF, not his time in Denver. Blaming the current coverage of him for that is misplacing the responsibility.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The fact that all you've gotten out of everything I said is "you hate Tebow" and "you hate Christians" is hilarious.

1. Hate is a strong word, I don't "Hate" anybody because of their religious views. Free country right? Pray to who you want to, I don't give a shit.
2. A large portion of my family is Christian. Do I hate them because of that? No, that's retarded to think so.
3. Why would I "Hate" Tebow? I don't know the guy. I don't blame him for the coverage. If you read the title, it's not a knock on him, it's a knock on BSPN. You're just so ready to jump on anyone and call them a hater that you didn't even get the point.

You almost get to making a good point, then you start talking like a pre-teen message board kid. You should work on that.

Now here's one last thing though for ya. If you don't think religion has anything to do with his hype, why does Tebow get more coverage and hype than Cam Newton even though Cam's play is light years ahead of Tebow?

And once again you failed horribly in your attempt to address the reasons for Tebow's coverage.

If you read carefully, I pointed out why Tebow gets the hype he does. Are my posts too long for you?

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You're answer is because people like him. Is it not obvious why so many people bought his NFL jersey? I've seen a boatload of soccer moms wearing his jersey, do you think it's because they love his goal line carries lol? No, it's not.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You're answer is because people like him. Is it not obvious why so many people bought his NFL jersey? I've seen a boatload of soccer moms wearing his jersey, do you think it's because they love his goal line carries lol? No, it's not.

I think I said that in reason #1 for why he gets the coverage. How about reason #2? Is that something could play a role in all the coverage he gets?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably wrong, but I think Tebow just gets so much hype because even if he sucks for 55 minutes, he can play insanely well to win in the final few minutes of a game.

The media gobbles stories like that up and just go bonkers over them. That is kinda what made Favre so popular, at times he'd suck for most of the game but then bam! he'd play unstoppable football for 5 minutes and win the game and have all the media giggling and happy that they just witnessed something that rarely happens in professional sports. An improbable come from behind victory in just a few minutes.