• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: ESPN's NFL Sunday Countdowns next 4 topics

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
"Tebow Mania"
"Elway on Tebow"
"Believer in Tebow"
"Tebowing"

No joke. This is the first time I've watched an ESPN show in months, and they just reminded me why I stopped.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tebowing trend made me realize just how hard they are selling him.

A lot of players in this league thank God after games, plenty of them have crossed themselves, or pointed to the heavens, or knelled in prayer, and it's never considered news worthy.... but when Tebow does it, hey different story!

Why?

There is/was players in the league who where actual ordained ministers, and they never got the same treatment.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Tebowing trend made me realize just how hard they are selling him.

A lot of players in this league thank God after games, plenty of them have crossed themselves, or pointed to the heavens, or knelled in prayer, and it's never considered news worthy.... but when Tebow does it, hey different story!

Why?

There is/was players in the league who where actual ordained ministers, and they never got the same treatment.

The "Tebowing" trend isn't ESPN selling him. ESPN didn't invent it. There has been a website all week about it called Tebowing.com. ESPN didn't pay all those people to do it simply to sell Tebow.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "Tebowing" trend isn't ESPN selling him. ESPN didn't invent it. There has been a website all week about it called Tebowing.com. ESPN didn't pay all those people to do it simply to sell Tebow.

I know ESPN didn't invent it, but the way his religion is hyped up is what made people take notice in the first place.

Why isn't the trend called IssacBrucing? or Warnering? Those are hall of fame caliber guys who are every bit as religious as Tebow. They never got the same attention for it.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know ESPN didn't invent it, but the way his religion is hyped up is what made people take notice in the first place.

Why isn't the trend called IssacBrucing? or Warnering? Those are hall of fame caliber guys who are every bit as religious as Tebow. They never got the same attention for it.

You have it backwards X. Tebow gets attention on ESPN because he is popular. He isn't popular because of ESPN. ESPN didn't choose Tim Tebow to turn into a hero for everyone. There were stories when he was at UF about the type of person he is and people decided to like him. He wasn't in the news all the time. He's a good person that has been successful thus far, particularly in college, and people rallied around that and became fans of him.

In short, people don't like him because he's being forced on the populous. He's being forced on the populous because the majority of people like him.

I also have no idea why anyone could possibly not like him.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I personally don't dislike him but yes, he is being rammed down our throats. If I turn on sports radio, I just don't want to hear about a guy who throws under 50% and scores in garbage time.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have it backwards X. Tebow gets attention on ESPN because he is popular. He isn't popular because of ESPN. ESPN didn't choose Tim Tebow to turn into a hero for everyone. There were stories when he was at UF about the type of person he is and people decided to like him. He wasn't in the news all the time. He's a good person that has been successful thus far, particularly in college, and people rallied around that and became fans of him.

In short, people don't like him because he's being forced on the populous. He's being forced on the populous because the majority of people like him.

I also have no idea why anyone could possibly not like him.

I understand that, but what I'm asking is why is his religious behavior considered more news worthy than the thousands of other players who have done the SAME EXACT THINGS in the past? NFL history is full of religious players. I can't count how many players I've seen kneel in prayer, or thank god after a win...Hall of Fame players had a bunch of fans too don't they?

It's honestly to the point where any thought I have of Tebow, is immediately followed by a thought of how religious he is.

I'm not even coming from an anti-religious position. I'm not a Tebow hater either, If he succeeds cool the league is better with each good QB it has.

I just don't understand why that portion of his existence stands out from other who do the same stuff. Issac Bruce was ordained, he was a great guy, but when I think of Issac Bruce I think of Wide Receiver, I don't think Christian Wide receiver.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I personally don't dislike him but yes, he is being rammed down our throats. If I turn on sports radio, I just don't want to hear about a guy who throws under 50% and scores in garbage time.

How can you call it garbage time when they came back and won the game? I guess when we won in Philly Alex was only scoring in garbage time and there was no need to talk about him.

ESPN is not a custom channel for any individual. There goal is to attract viewers. If you feel like they are overdoing the Tebow coverage, you are in the minority. If the majority agreed with you, they wouldn't do it.

I'm also getting sick of people complaining about the Tebow coverage. He's a guy who gets his job done, thus far, and by all accounts, religious views aside, is a fantastic human being.

Would you prefer they cover the Rae Carruth's and Tim Donaghy's of the world?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I understand that, but what I'm asking is why is his religious behavior considered more news worthy than the thousands of other players who have done the SAME EXACT THINGS in the past? NFL history is full of religious players. I can't count how many players I've seen kneel in prayer, or thank god after a win...Hall of Fame players had a bunch of fans too don't they?

It's honestly to the point where any thought I have of Tebow, is immediately followed by a thought of how religious he is.

I'm not even coming from an anti-religious person. I'm not a Tebow hater either, If he succeeds cool the league is better with each good QB it has.

I just don't understand why that portion of his existence stands out from other who do the same stuff. Issac Bruce was ordained, he was a great guy, but when I think of Issac Bruce I think of Wide Receiver, I don't think Christian Wide receiver.

Show me a story about his religion.

The Tebowing phenomenom isn't about his religion. It's not even about Tebow really. It's about the people across the USA that have started imitating him in random situations and locations. Do you think all these people that are Tebowing are legitimately praying? Do you think he's converting these people?

Isaac Bruce didn't get the coverage for his religion that Tebow has because people didn't embrace Isaac Bruce like they embraced Tim Tebow. Nor did they embrace Kurt Warner like they have have embraced Tim Tebow.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think there is a lot of things going on in the league that deserve waaaaay more attention then Tebow. As for his comebacks, one was a loss and the other was against the worst team in the league man, cmon. During NBA season, would you want to hear all week about how the Wizards beat the Timberwolves just because Wall had a scored a lot? Hell no. Shouldn't be any different just because Tebow loves Jesus a lot lol.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was anyone watching First Take this week? The first topic this ENTIRE week, and I mean EVERY day, was Tebow's comeback.

The funniest part was Dana Jacobson saying, "Alright guys, let's stop talking about Tebow and talk about his teammates. How does Tebow make them better?"

I have never seen someone so bad get so much fucking attention it's ridiculous.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Was anyone watching First Take this week? The first topic this ENTIRE week, and I mean EVERY day, was Tebow's comeback.

The funniest part was Dana Jacobson saying, "Alright guys, let's stop talking about Tebow and talk about his teammates. How does Tebow make them better?"

I have never seen someone so bad get so much fucking attention it's ridiculous.

Seriously, it's like "ok everybody, let's ignore the fact that his completion rate is 45%. Is he the next Elway?" It's baffling.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think there is a lot of things going on in the league that deserve waaaaay more attention then Tebow. As for his comebacks, one was a loss and the other was against the worst team in the league man, cmon. During NBA season, would you want to hear all week about how the Wizards beat the Timberwolves just because Wall had a scored a lot? Hell no. Shouldn't be any different just because Tebow loves Jesus a lot lol.

Wow. Stop being ignorant. It isn't about what I want. It isn't about what YOU want. It's about what the majority wants. Clearly Tebow is popular enough to warrant the discussion. In part because people like you constantly bitch about the coverage he gets. The fact that he DID win last week despite his horrible mechanics is something people will talk about. The fact that he is considered the greatest college football player EVER by many and the majority of NFL people predicted his failure makes it news.

Your John Wall comparison is waaaay off base as well. First of all, the NBA doesn't play once a week. They play roughly every 2nd day. Would a game where Wall goes off in the last 3 minutes for 15 points to lead the Wizards back from down 10 be news for a few days? Yes it would.

But how many predicted Wall would be a colossal failure in the NBA?

The vast majority of "experts" in and around the NFL predicted Tebow to be a bust and someone that had to change positions.

And who is talking about his religion still other than people that bitch about him? How many people on any of the pre-game shows today said Tebow is successful because a great Christian?

The Tebowing story isn't even ABOUT Tebow.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seriously, it's like "ok everybody, let's ignore the fact that his completion rate is 45%. Is he the next Elway?" It's baffling.

What's baffling is your complete ignorance on the Tebow phenomenon.

It's becoming more and more obvious that you have, or at the very least are developing, a strong dislike for the man. The only reason for this is because he's popular.

I believe in the music business you would be called a hater.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lol really? I just want my news to be news worthy. The guy can't and never will be a legit QB. There was a reason Brady Quinn was ahead of him on the depth chart. He's a good quarterback, he just can't throw. LMAO let's just get a kicker who can't kick.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lol really? I just want my news to be news worthy. The guy can't and never will be a legit QB. There was a reason Brady Quinn was ahead of him on the depth chart. He's a good quarterback, he just can't throw. LMAO let's just get a kicker who can't kick.

If you want your news to be newsworthy, you probably shouldn't be watching NFL pregame shows. Try CNN or something.

What story did you desperately need to see covered that was missed?

Get over yourself. ESPN is not your private channel. They cater to the masses. They will cover Tebow until their ratings drop during the time they spend on him.

If you can't understand why he gets the coverage he does, you should probably turn into Nickelodeon for your news.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know exactly why he gets the coverage. Cause he's a good ol Christian boy. That's it. It's just unfortunate that fools drool over this stuff so the REAL football fans have to suffer. I love the game, not the players. Certainly not ones who suck especially. I just feel bad for the other football fans who instead of seeing game previews have to watch a 5 minute piece on how he prays.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Show me a story about his religion.

The Tebowing phenomenom isn't about his religion. It's not even about Tebow really. It's about the people across the USA that have started imitating him in random situations and locations. Do you think all these people that are Tebowing are legitimately praying? Do you think he's converting these people?

Isaac Bruce didn't get the coverage for his religion that Tebow has because people didn't embrace Isaac Bruce like they embraced Tim Tebow. Nor did they embrace Kurt Warner like they have have embraced Tim Tebow.

Hell no people aren't legitimately praying when doing the Tebow, I'm fully aware of what a meme is. I know it's being done as a fun little joke. That's what makes it funny to me, when you say they didn't embrace Warner like they do Tebow. A lot of people who are tebowing, aren't doing it to honor him and embrace him, it's more of a tongue in cheek mockery of the hype.

I agree with you that networks follow numbers, no doubt. And I'm not even blaming EPSN entirely, He gets some of the blame, he is selling that image too, other networks as well....But I don't watch Tebow games, I didn't follow him closely in college, and I don't now. But his religious views have been talked about enough that I associate him with it, and I do it in a way that I haven't done with any other player since I've been alive.

That associate didn't come out of no where. It comes from sports pundits following up stories with him by talking about how he is such a good god loving man. It comes from them showing those sound bites of him saying those things and discussing it like it's new, like no other player has done it and it's refreshing to see.

I don't have any specific articles in mind, cause I don't go out of my way to read articles on him, I don't care about him like that. But you denying that portion of him is hyped up more than it should be doesn't make sense to me.