• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT College Football

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had one in the past when very few conferences had a championship game and it cost a couple of teams who were headed to the National championship game because they lost.

Your remembrance is correct.

But it's a new day, and even with the "Big 12" only having "ten," a conference championship game would have assured them of one team, even with a rematch of Baylor/TCU.

And why can't the "supposed" institutions of higher education get the conference count correct?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had one in the past when very few conferences had a championship game and it cost a couple of teams who were headed to the National championship game because they lost.

Having a conference championship didn't cost anyone a national title shot, losing the conference championship game cost them their shot, if they were so good and deserving then they would've won

In fact Oklahoma was STILL was allowed to play in a national championship game in 2003 AFTER losing 35-7 to Kansas St. (35-7)

Long story made short: win your games

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having a conference championship didn't cost anyone a national title shot, losing the conference championship game cost them their shot, if they were so good and deserving then they would've won

In fact Oklahoma was STILL was allowed to play in a national championship game in 2003 AFTER losing 35-7 to Kansas St. (35-7)

If Baylor wins out they should be the big 12 champ since they beat TCU. Fox 4 dfw sports said even if Baylor wins out they will share w/TCU as co-champs. So, even winning your games does not always get it done. The system needs help in finding the real #1.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Baylor wins out they should be the big 12 champ since they beat TCU. Fox 4 dfw sports said even if Baylor wins out they will share w/TCU as co-champs. So, even winning your games does not always get it done. The system needs help in finding the real #1.

They would be co-champs, but in a bcs situation Baylor would get the BCS berth. I would hope the playoff committee would take that into consideration.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they had a conference championship, it would be decided and Baylor would have the tie breaker, they don't, so they are stuck with the consequences of their conferences inability to cobble together 2 teams that want to put up with the Longhorn's BS

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor losing to West Virginia < TCU losing to Baylor

Baylor's one loss is worse than TCU's, head to head or not

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Understand what you are saying but fact is they were playing an extra game that no one else was and it was a game that the other team had nothing to lose and everything to gain. And being a coach in situations like that I loved it because it was a great motivator and the team was so relaxed because no one expected us to win. So if we lost everyone expected it and if we won we shocked everybody.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor losing to West Virginia < TCU losing to Baylor

Baylor's one loss is worse than TCU's, head to head or not

Not only that Baylor needed major help to win that game on a FG. TCU can hang with any team because they have the athleticism to compete. I would like TCU's chances vs every other team in the power 5 save Bama. They might not win, but they would make it a game. Baylor is like the FSU of the Big 12. I don't like their offs vs a non Big 12 power 5 team.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There really isn't a great team in college football this year. Florida State is one of the worst undefeated teams I've seen in some time. They barely eek out the win every week. Alabama is really good but not elite (not like the Bama teams of the past). Oregon might be the best overall team. TCU and Baylor are both very "meh". Some weeks they look really great, other weeks they are entirely beatable. And who knows what to expect with Ohio State. If I had to pick today, I'd say it will probably be an Alabama-Oregon national title game.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There really isn't a great team in college football this year. Florida State is one of the worst undefeated teams I've seen in some time. They barely eek out the win every week. Alabama is really good but not elite (not like the Bama teams of the past). Oregon might be the best overall team. TCU and Baylor are both very "meh". Some weeks they look really great, other weeks they are entirely beatable. And who knows what to expect with Ohio State. If I had to pick today, I'd say it will probably be an Alabama-Oregon national title game.

I don't see what is to love about Oregon. They are the same one trick pony every year. You shut down their QB and they are nothing special. Colin Cowherd sure loves the Pac 12 this year. I see some teams benefiting from a weak field. If the traditional powers were playing like it teams like UCLA ASU and Arizona wouldn't be in the top 10. That being said, I hope Rich Rod can beat Oregon for the third time in a row.

I hope Mariota is drafted and is a huge bust like RG3.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree Will. Alabama may be the best but their defense is nothing compared to what they have had in the past and I mean 4 years or so ago. They gave up around 350 yards by halftime to Auburn. Same reason I do not think there is a power conference like in years past.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see what is to love about Oregon. They are the same one trick pony every year. You shut down their QB and they are nothing special. Colin Cowherd sure loves the Pac 12 this year. I see some teams benefiting from a weak field. If the traditional powers were playing like it teams like UCLA ASU and Arizona wouldn't be in the top 10. That being said, I hope Rich Rod can beat Oregon for the third time in a row.

I hope Mariota is drafted and is a huge bust like RG3.

Anytime you shut down the other teams QB then they're in trouble, and it doesn't matter if it's Oregon, Alabama or Baylor.

Oregon has won more games than any team other than Bama over the past 8 years. So apparently they have several one tricks going for them.

Everything I've read and heard about Mariota is he's supposed to be one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. Why all the hate?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anytime you shut down the other teams QB then they're in trouble, and it doesn't matter if it's Oregon, Alabama or Baylor.

Oregon has won more games than any team other than Bama over the past 8 years. So apparently they have several one tricks going for them.

Everything I've read and heard about Mariota is he's supposed to be one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. Why all the hate?
You are absolutely right on with the qb's. And yes the Ducks are not attending their first rodeo. Because I do not follow them like sec/big 12, I don't know how strong their competition is. Why the hate? Who knows? I don't.:noidea:

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's a overrated QB from a junk conference that will flame out in the NFL. That's not hate. The fact is you have to play under center to win the NFL. Relying on the shotgun formation is what kills spread QBs trying to make the jump to the NFL.

And who cares how many regular season games you win if you have no titles. Bama has those titles. The Ducks have what? Rose Bowl wins? Big deal.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a overrated QB from a junk conference that will flame out in the NFL. That's not hate. The fact is you have to play under center to win the NFL. Relying on the shotgun formation is what kills spread QBs trying to make the jump to the NFL.

And who cares how many regular season games you win if you have no titles. Bama has those titles. The Ducks have what? Rose Bowl wins? Big deal.

First, I don't know what games you're watching, but every time I see Peyton Manning, Drew Brees or Big Ben, they're 6 yards back of the center.

Second, Mariota will be a very early draft pick, so obviously there will be NFL teams not thinking he's "overrated."

Third, so unless you win a national championship then everyone's season is totally worthless. Is that right? That's one of the most ridiculous statements I've heard during this football season.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I don't know what games you're watching, but every time I see Peyton Manning, Drew Brees or Big Ben, they're 6 yards back of the center.

Second, Mariota will be a very early draft pick, so obviously there will be NFL teams not thinking he's "overrated."

Third, so unless you win a national championship then everyone's season is totally worthless. Is that right? That's one of the most ridiculous statements I've heard during this football season.

All three of those QBs are pocket passers that can and do take snaps under center when necessary. They don't run 'spread formation' offenses. They run pro style offenses.

Blake Bortles was taken third overall last year. Robert Griffin was taken second two years before him. I can keep listing QBs drafted in the top 5 spots that have been busts.

You play the game to win championships. It might mean something to win Rose Bowls, but it's not the same as winning the title.

I was very proud of the Rangers winning back to back ALCS titles, but it means a lot less knowing they didn't win either WS title those years.

Mariota is just another in a long line of spread formation QBs that the media falls in love with but they have a short memory so I cannot really blame them.

Just remembered...Joey Harrington 25-3 as a starter for Oregon drafted third overall.

Last edited by a moderator:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a shame Brady Hoke couldn't have won more games, b/c he really seems like a decent guy.

But they've struggled mightily for the last 2 years, so the ax had to fall.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All three of those QBs are pocket passers that can and do take snaps under center when necessary. They don't run 'spread formation' offenses. They run pro style offenses.

Blake Bortles was taken third overall last year. Robert Griffin was taken second two years before him. I can keep listing QBs drafted in the top 5 spots that have been busts.

You play the game to win championships. It might mean something to win Rose Bowls, but it's not the same as winning the title.

I was very proud of the Rangers winning back to back ALCS titles, but it means a lot less knowing they didn't win either WS title those years.

Mariota is just another in a long line of spread formation QBs that the media falls in love with but they have a short memory so I cannot really blame them.

Just remembered...Joey Harrington 25-3 as a starter for Oregon drafted third overall.

Wait, Bortles is a bust after one year? Come on guy. :L

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, Bortles is a bust after one year? Come on guy. :L

Bortles plays for the Jags. He will be nothing. That's part of the reason these spread QBs fail. Most of the time they end up in shitty franchises who always draft in the top 10. That's part of the culture of failure in the NFL. Wilson and Luck are those rare finds out of the last few drafts. If every QB in the league were up for draft today, Blake Bortles wouldn't be picked in the top 25 of those 32 currently starting. Bortles had the luxury of being 6'5 and no other dominant name being in the draft. The Jags drafted him because they were obligated to find a QB. They will be picking top 10 the next 5 years or more. They are a bad franchise and he will be a wash out.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a shame Brady Hoke couldn't have won more games, b/c he really seems like a decent guy.

But they've struggled mightily for the last 2 years, so the ax had to fall.

Bad situation for him, but it's not over for him just yet. Look at guys like Rich Rod who took their lumps and bounced back. He will just have to take a lesser known team and make them better and he will get another shot.