• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Baseball Playoffs

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Should be a great time for bay area baseball. I'm more of a Giants supporter, but I love the A's story this season. How cool would it be for them to meet each other in the WS.

On a sad note, A's relief pitcher Pat Neshek's son passed away last night just 23 hours after being born. RIP Baby Gehrig

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be a great time for bay area baseball. I'm more of a Giants supporter, but I love the A's story this season. How cool would it be for them to meet each other in the WS.

On a sad note, A's relief pitcher Pat Neshek's son passed away last night just 23 hours after being born. RIP Baby Gehrig

Very sad! RIP Indeed

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this new Wild Card format needs some major tweaks.

The Braves own a 6 game lead over the Cards and hold a 5-1 regular season record over them and yet it all comes down to 1 game. It makes the entire 162 games seem meaningless in a way. It should be a 7 game series, but at least a 5 game one between the Wild Card teams.

1 Game in baseball is not enough to decide the better team. All it does it decide who had the better pitcher for that game.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
As an Angel fan seeing the team not make the playoffs hurts but watching Texas fall completely flat on it's face though I can't say I have love for the A's.

I hate the new Wild Card format and what the MLB needs to do is drop divisions and just separate the league by NL and AL and the top 4 team go. It's stupid to decide a playoff spot with a one game playoff because all one team needs is an ace to give them an edge over the team that might not have an ace but an overall better team.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets go O's! Great to see them back in the playoffs after 14 grueling seasons. This season has been worth the wait. Hope we can knock out Texas.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AND...both the Dodgers and Angels will be watching from home. :D

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Braves own a 6 game lead over the Cards and hold a 5-1 regular season record over them and yet it all comes down to 1 game.

This. 1000x this.

I love adding a second WC team to the playoffs, but still, ^THIS!^

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. 1000x this.

I love adding a second WC team to the playoffs, but still, ^THIS!^

I'll see your 1000 and raise you a gazillion! Dumbest playoff format ever!

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The major problem for Oakland here is not the WC format, because the A's are a pitching team in a pitching friendly stadium (tho I'm too lazy to see if they actually host Baltimore). The A's major problem is that once Selig is actually forced to LOOK at the Athletics financially, due to possible playoff wins/even an unlikely World Series birth, I think the MLB/Lew are going to re-open the "Let's move the Athletics to SJ/Fremont" train & strong arm the A's out of Oakland, which even as a Giants fan, I don't want.

The Giants winning the NL West sort of seems like a buffer against losing the San Jose fan market to the A's, but Selig (as much of a pussy little bitch that he is) will not stand for a playoff caliber team's attendance* being, on average, less than 1/3rd of the Coliseum's seats, even as the team is winning. Not to mention A's tickets are dirt cheap.

*A's sit around 10k fans per game while capacity is 35k.

EDIT: In addition, I remember a recent stat that said Selig/the league hadn't reviewed the Oakland A's stadium situation in around 3 years. A storm is a'brewin on the horizon for Oakland fans, especially with how hard it is to get sports stadiums/areas built in CA (re: Chargers, Raiders, Sacramento Kings, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Braves own a 6 game lead over the Cards and hold a 5-1 regular season record over them and yet it all comes down to 1 game. It makes the entire 162 games seem meaningless in a way. It should be a 7 game series, but at least a 5 game one between the Wild Card teams.

1 Game in baseball is not enough to decide the better team. All it does it decide who had the better pitcher for that game.

totally agree
why let in 2 more teams for this format?
even 2 out of 3 would have been better.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AND...both the Dodgers and Angels will be watching from home. :D

Clyde, between me living in LA after having been born and raised in the Bay coupled with my wife and her family all being Dodger fans, needless to say I'm walking around with a smile on my face grabbing my balls in a fuck you fashion...lol. Dodgers AND Angels out is music to my ears.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rangers suck. that sums up baseball.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A's are playing the Tigers by the way. 2-3 format so we start out in Detroit.

As for the stadium. Selig won't resolve the territory issue. At some point they need to go to plan B. Kawakami wrote about the Selig thing not long ago. I wanna say it comes down to compensation to the Giants which can't be afforded by the A's.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As for the stadium. Selig won't resolve the territory issue. At some point they need to go to plan B. Kawakami wrote about the Selig thing not long ago. I wanna say it comes down to compensation to the Giants which can't be afforded by the A's.

Are you talking about the As moving to SJ?

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L

Thank you for the correction.

I'd seen the standings at the start of the OAK/TEX series, with the A's being 2 down going in, and thought Oakland missed winning the AL West 'cause the next score I checked was the 1 game the A's lost to the Rangers on Wednesday.