• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

O's trade Jim Johnson for...Jemile Weeks

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson From Orioles For Jemile Weeks

By Jeff Todd [December 2, 2013 at 10:39pm CST]
The Athletics have acquired closer Jim Johnson from the Orioles in exchange for second baseman Jemile Weeks, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports ([ame="[MEDIA=twitter]407730539408670720[/MEDIA]"]via Twitter[/ame]).
[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]407730539408670720[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

Elginbaylor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who's the closer now? Neither Hunter nor O'day could get lefties out. They need someone against the McCann/Cano combo.

Jim Johnson was pretty good most of the time last year. Take away the bad two-week stretch in May, and his ERA would be around 1.50 with 5 Blown Saves.
I still hated the McFarland pickup(Rule 5 draft). It killed bullpen flexibility and could've contributed to some of the guys' extra workload and struggles.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wonder who the ptbnl is ? shocked by them dropping gamboa off the 40 man and keeping the trash they have signed lately .

all4ripken

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, they couldn't get a better deal than this?? Weeks is just as bad as his brother...

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the salary dump and desire not to pay a closer 10-11 million...but we better use this money we now have to spend on players or resign players...if we did this deal and still find an excuse not to sign Davis or a fa ill be pissed off.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on gamboa he is a fa and the o's expect to sign him after rule v . pr steve melewski which reminds me of a lhp turn outfielder who signed elsewhere .

cam1001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't like JJ that much. Seemed like he always put guys on base every outing. $10 mil was way too much to pay him and no way the O's would pay that. Just wish they got something a little better in return, like an actual prospect. Wieters is next. They will use the savings to sign Davis and Hardy extensions I suppose, not to bring in anyone else.

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
weeks had a very good rookie yr...maybe with an open shot at the roster he can return to that form and become our leadoff man...he hit .300 with an OBP of .400+...in this hr or nothing line-up...he may get alot of pitches to hit and do some damage...and i was sick, absolutely sick of watching jim johnson as our closer...2 yrs 101 saves...10 blown saves...1,000,000 heart attacks/ week because he loved throwing ball 4

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible trade. What little pitching we do have, we trade away for an unproven 2B. Look, I was hard on JJ last year but when that sinker is working, he can be one of the best closers in baseball and has for 2 straight years. I also understand selling while value is high but you really didn't get equal value in return. Now we have no closer and Hunter is not an option, and we still have to figure out the Wieters situation. What should I expect though, ownership has never shown they are willing to spend to reach the pinnacle anyway.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could we be looking at handing Gausman the closer role?

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O's send Jim Johnson to Oakland for Jemile Weeks | orioles.com: News

"These trades are difficult decisions, but sometimes you have to try to reallocate resources so that the club can be strong in all the areas it needs to be competitive," Dan Duquette, executive vice president of baseball operations, said of the move, which frees salary for the Orioles to be aggressive elsewhere in free agency. "That's what the club is trying to address with this trade.

I'm reserving my take on this trade until I see what transpires here before next season.

In addition to rotation help, the Orioles are in need of a DH, left fielder and second baseman, and the trade helps give them some breathing room to compete for free agents.

If the O's acquire a decent "big bat", perhaps this trade will be worth it. We shall see.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just wondering if this trade (other than for salary dump reasons)this was to give Schoop more time in the minors. I could be way off on this but I'm thinking that they're hoping Weeks can stick around at 2nd and when Hardy's contract is up, they move Machado over to SS and have Schoop at 3B.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just wondering if this trade (other than for salary dump reasons)this was to give Schoop more time in the minors. I could be way off on this but I'm thinking that they're hoping Weeks can stick around at 2nd and when Hardy's contract is up, they move Machado over to SS and have Schoop at 3B.

I would be ok with schoop and Flaherty splitting 2nd base . but I do think with them saving what 25 to 30 million with Feldman , brob , jj , krod and several others . I see an of and maybe a colon type pitcher hunter closer . it want be gausman . with the raises some will get davis will sign and matt want sign an ext .

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they're still looking at Beltran. I would see how Hunter or maybe Gausman can handle it, or maybe they go after Hanrahan or somone.

Youngfan9886

Board Nightmare
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew this move was coming but Jemile Weeks? That's the best we could get? He isn't even good defensively... I'd take Casilla over him. That PTBNL better be a damn good prospect. We need an ace pitcher badly and we need to sign Davis and Hardy to an extension. Get it done.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol! The O's are pathetic while the Yanks sign McCann and Ellsbury and are not done yet.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two words.......Peter Angelos

Look, I love my O's and have since 1976 however, the product the front office keeps pushing out on the field can't compete year in and year out with the pockets of the Yanks & Sox. Obviously those organizations have always bought their way up to the top of the AL East. But Angelos rarely spends any money allowing his team to compete. I'm not sure why fans fill the seats in Baltimore for this reason. Force him to sell the team.

On the Ellsbury signing, obviously 7 years for an injury prone player is a huge risk and not one I would have made however, pitching has been our Achilles heel and while we keep throwing band aids at the situation, the mediocre pitching keeps us in the bottom half of the division. Tillman is nothing close to a real ACE, maybe more like a bottom feeder #2 and more likely a #3 on most staffs. Then we have a bunch of #4 or #5 type pitchers in Gonzo, Chen, Norris etc... Same with Feldman, Hammel, Garcia, Britton or whomever else we throw out on the mound over the past few years.

For some reason, GM's are snatching up players before the winter meetings this year at an alarming rate. This team has needed a true ACE and another slugger behind Davis for well over a year now and nothing from the front office. The same trend holds true with ownership and that's about the only consistency that does remain true to form. Buck is Buck and he is always going to support his guys but a few more tools to work with would be nice.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let the Nyy overpay for people..plus it probably takes them out of the Cano bidding. I trust DD will make some smart moves within what Peter gives him to spend. Maybe now they bring back McLouth and still add some type of big bat.