• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Orioles To Sign Suk-Min Yoon

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orioles To Sign Suk-Min Yoon

By Jeff Todd [February 13, 2014 at 9:44am CST]
The Orioles have agreed to a deal with South Korean hurler Suk-min Yoon, pending physical, that will guarantee him $5.575MM over three years. But the deal's escalator provisions could significantly increase its total value over that span.
The contract features a slightly backloaded structure. Yoon will receive a $675K signing bonus, then earn $750K for the coming season, $1.75MM in 2015, and $2.4MM in 2016. Yoon can trigger a $1.25MM bump in each future year's salary by reaching a games-started target. The total value is said to be capable of reaching $13MM. The deal also allows Yoon to become a free agent after three years and provides some mechanism to protect him from a minor league demotion.
Yoon is said to be "in good shape to pass" the physical, but the club is remaining quiet about the deal until he does. Obviously, Baltimore is hopeful of avoiding any bad press that might come from issues relating to the medical exam, given its heavily-scrutinized decisions to shelve deals with Grant Balfour and Tyler Colvin due to problems with their physicals.
As MLBTR's Tim Dierkes explained in his detailed profile of Yoon before the off-season, the Korean hurler was widely regarded as the KBO's second-best pitcher after Hyun-jin Ryu, who went on to success with the Dodgers last year. But that does not necessarily mean he approaches Ryu's upside, as the stark differences in their contracts would suggest. (Ryu was promised $36MM, after Los Angeles bid over $25MM for negotiating rights. Unlike Ryu, Yoon was a free agent and did not require a posting or release fee.)
That is not to say that Yoon lacks appeal, of course. He had two outstanding seasons in the KBO as a starter, winning the league's MVP award in 2011. Though he is said not to have dominant stuff, Yoon is by all accounts a solid arm with the talent to add value in the bigs. The major issue with Yoon, Dierkes noted, was a shoulder injury that hampered his 2013 campaign. He battled through the injury, but split time between a starting and relief role and failed to match his prior production.
Though Dierkes put Yoon's value at two years and $10MM, he noted that prediction was based on very limited information. A recent report indicated that Yoon was seeing wide interest, but that apparently did not allow him to generate much of a bidding war.
From the Orioles' perspective, Yoon is set to receive the first MLB deal given by the club to a starter this off-season. (Of course, the team added Bud Norris via trade at last year's deadline, a fact which is often overlooked.) Indeed, Yoon would represent the largest free agent splash thus far for the O's, beating the two-year, $4.5MM guarantee made to reliever Ryan Webb.
Given that his contract includes incentives based upon games started, it would seem he stands at least some chance to crack the rotation. The club's rotation figures to include Norris, Chris Tillman, Wei-Yin Chen, and Miguel Gonzalez. Yoon could potentially battle with a range of other options -- including Kevin Gausman, Brian Matusz, Zach Britton, T.J. McFarland, and Alfredo Aceves -- for the final slot.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At worst this should really solidify the BP with a long reliever. Hopefully he isn't another Wada, and he passes the military grade physical.

jdl5136

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calling it now, if he fails the physical I am done being an Orioles fan!! Not too concerned

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Yoon signing is a big clusterfuck. Yoon and his agent keep coming and going from the ST facility.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is official yoon signing !!! so 1 tillman , 2 chen , 3 gonzo 4 Norris 5 britton 6 aceves 7 yoon 8 matusz 9 webb 10 oday 11 hunter 12 patton seems like a full house pretty sure Stinson is also out of options may get the 25 game assignment for patton spot . lets see what is really open 13 jj 14 manny 15 ryan 16 davis 17 Nolan 18 nick 19 aj 20 louth 21 matt 22 weeks 23 Clevenger 24 young 25 alexi and weeks could be the last 2 on the team . pretty sure they would want uuuuu and schoop playing everyday .

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Jimenez signing, Britton is on the outside looking in to win a spot in the rotation, sorry Ted.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Jimenez signing, Britton is on the outside looking in to win a spot in the rotation, sorry Ted.

well let the best 5 be the starters but gonzo and Norris scares me . I still think if they fix britton command he has closer stuff or ace . britton and Nolan time to shit or get off the pot !!!!

Trevler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well let the best 5 be the starters but gonzo and Norris scares me . I still think if they fix britton command he has closer stuff or ace . britton and Nolan time to shit or get off the pot !!!!
I'm not sure why people underrate Gonzo so much. Since he has been on the O's, he has been their second best starter. It's a close second to Tillman.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why people underrate Gonzo so much. Since he has been on the O's, he has been their second best starter. It's a close second to Tillman.

what I see from gonzo is he wears down as the season goes along and in games . just like r lopez stuff wise gonzo is avg guts wise he is supper duper . yoon is a wada like and not a chen which is a little harder . the thing about britton he has great stuff hard with great movement . al east is the last place you want a pitcher with control problems . redsux , Yankees , rays all makes a pitcher work even the jays most of the time . hopefully this year we will make them work .

Trevler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ted, Gonzo had a great September last year. It was his strongest month last year.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ted, Gonzo had a great September last year. It was his strongest month last year.

I like gonzo but I think he would be more effective as a longman . he has 1 year exp so we control him for longer than bundy :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:. steve hinted that bud Norris spot is the first out . gonzo has options these guys buy into the team aspect that buck sells . what we have is a lack of lhp starters . it reverts back to pie and Nolan they would keep pie over Nolan because of out of options . put the best 25 on the field and play ball .

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
per roch yoon could start the season in the minors . btw gausman says that webb has the nastiest slider he has ever saw . wonder if he will ask for pointers and grip ?