• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Origonal 6?

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok folks why do people care about the origonal 6? I am trying to figure out the significance and cant get an answer. I could not care less who is playing if my team is out, mainly looking for a good matchup.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As one of the older guys on the board, it does bring back some great memories (I'm talking classic '70 series featuring the Bruins and Habs for the most part). All of the original six teams have a great following of fans throughout Canada and the States.

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Predators = Original 6

Ok.........maybe not, lol.

oldschoolhockeyfan

Lifetime of Hockey
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As one of the older guys on the board, it does bring back some great memories (I'm talking classic '70 series featuring the Bruins and Habs for the most part). All of the original six teams have a great following of fans throughout Canada and the States.

The original 6 represent the longtime history and tradition of the NHL.

The Hab/Bruins playoffs of the 70's was the pinnacle of playoff hockey.

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
history really. plus they all have really cool jerseys.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of it has to do with history but IMO it's overdone a bit. At times some fans give the impression there is an entitlement to have fans of 0 six team's to make the SCF because they are fans of 0 six teams.

This is not to anger fans of these teams that's their perogative but how many fan's of these teams were even born when the league started? Does it make them better fans because they are fans of 0 six teams?

There are fans of the other 24 teams that are just as passionate about the sport and their teams and in a lot of cases were born years before they were. I have followed the NHL for almost 50 years and love the game. Does a fan that was born in Boston, Chicago, Montreal, New York, Toronto or Detroit 40 years after I was make them better fans because of the cities they were born in?

Again, I understand the history and nostalgia part but still think many fans make a bigger deal out of it then it is.

This seems more important to fans of the NHL then it does fans of the NFL. I rarely hear "I hope the Bears play the Packers in the NFC title game because they are two of the original teams"

Just a matter of opinion I guess.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoy seeing the O6 teams play deep into the playoffs for the same reason that I enjoy seeing teams like Alabama, Michigan and Nebraska do well in football. If my team is out, I like to see teams that the sport was built upon do well. It gives a little bit of perspective I guess. I think that it is good for the sport as well.

Of course, the point that someone made about the jerseys is valid as well. Aside from the Rags jerseys, all of the O6 jerseys just look damn good in the ice.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of it has to do with history but IMO it's overdone a bit. At times some fans give the impression there is an entitlement to have fans of 0 six team's to make the SCF because they are fans of 0 six teams.

This is not to anger fans of these teams that's their perogative but how many fan's of these teams were even born when the league started? Does it make them better fans because they are fans of 0 six teams?

There are fans of the other 24 teams that are just as passionate about the sport and their teams and in a lot of cases were born years before they were. I have followed the NHL for almost 50 years and love the game. Does a fan that was born in Boston, Chicago, Montreal, New York, Toronto or Detroit 40 years after I was make them better fans because of the cities they were born in?

Again, I understand the history and nostalgia part but still think many fans make a bigger deal out of it then it is.

This seems more important to fans of the NHL then it does fans of the NFL. I rarely hear "I hope the Bears play the Packers in the NFC title game because they are two of the original teams"
Just a matter of opinion I guess.

This is a good point, but I think tht the reason that it is not evident in the NFL is because the Super Bowl is only 44 years old and tams like the Packers and Bears, while successsful in the super bowl, have not become total dynasties and a good 20-25 teams have been around since the beginning of the Super Bowl era.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good point, but I think tht the reason that it is not evident in the NFL is because the Super Bowl is only 44 years old and tams like the Packers and Bears, while successsful in the super bowl, have not become total dynasties and a good 20-25 teams have been around since the beginning of the Super Bowl era.

Point taken but how many teams were around prior to the 67 expansion in the NHL?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point taken but how many teams were around prior to the 67 expansion in the NHL?

Boss, I thought as an original six human, you would appreciate the original six teams a little more.

;)

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boss, I thought as an original six human, you would appreciate the original six teams a little more.

;)

I love the game for what it is now not 80 years ago. It's a great sport and we should treat all of the fans and teams the same new or old.

I gave watching the Flintstones a long time ago. Unfortunately that's what I think holds this sport back. Some treat new fans like crap and I think it ruins the integrity of the sport and makes it's so called "fans" look shallow.

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the game for what it is now not 80 years ago. It's a great sport and we should treat all of the fans and teams the same new or old.

I know you do, Boss. I was just calling you old.

=)

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
being a fan of an original 6 team, i would love to see a match up of O6 teams if it included my Bruins. Other than that I could really care less. And if the Bruins make the SCF, it doesn't matter to me who they play. Bring on the Sharks.

BostonAJ

They fucking won?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm an elitist. I prefer the teams with some history. Franchises that have been around for <20 years (i.e. one generation) still need to make some bones, IMO. There's something cool about being able to go to a sports bar to watch a game and talk about the 80s Bruins or to find an old timer that can lecture me on Bobby Orr. Can't do that yet with a team born in the 90s or 2000s.

My snobbiest moment came when Dallas won the Cup. I cringed. Felt like Minnesota hockey fans deserved that. Same thing with Tampa Bay. It just didn't feel right. Oh, well. I'm a prick.

The Soggy one

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm an elitist. I prefer the teams with some history. Franchises that have been around for <20 years (i.e. one generation) still need to make some bones, IMO. There's something cool about being able to go to a sports bar to watch a game and talk about the 80s Bruins or to find an old timer that can lecture me on Bobby Orr. Can't do that yet with a team born in the 90s or 2000s.

My snobbiest moment came when Dallas won the Cup. I cringed. Felt like Minnesota hockey fans deserved that. Same thing with Tampa Bay. It just didn't feel right. Oh, well. I'm a prick.

this

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My snobbiest moment came when Dallas won the Cup. I cringed. Felt like Minnesota hockey fans deserved that. Same thing with Tampa Bay. It just didn't feel right. Oh, well. I'm a prick.[/QUOTE]

How do you think us Sabres fans felt?

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i could care less about an original 6 team. in baseball do i say, hey i want a team pre 1900s to make it to the world series? no. because nobody on the team is that old. what about the current players? they are of all ages and from all over. they have nothing to do with the history. i do enjoy the history of sports and i just finished watching a video on the flyers back in the day before i was born. still, i do not find myself rooting for one team over another because it is older. in fact, some of the better stories actually come from teams that are newer. who would have thought the rays would even have a winning record, let alone make it to the world series. how about the coyotes (i know they are older than the rays although they are new to phoenix) making the 4th seed.

who wants to see the wings make it to the finals again if they are not a fan of the team? there are some teams i like more than others and some teams i really can not stand. if my team is out i pretty much root against certain teams rather than root for teams. i do not care if they are in the league since the beginning or are brand new. if i like their players and team i will root for them. if not i will root against them. i think it is kind of lame to root for a team because they are an original 6 team like yours. it seems more like being a bandwagon fan. besides the fans of the 2 teams and a couple of mentions of each of their history who will even be thinking of them as original 6 teams once the game starts?

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i could care less about an original 6 team. in baseball do i say, hey i want a team pre 1900s to make it to the world series? no. because nobody on the team is that old. what about the current players? they are of all ages and from all over. they have nothing to do with the history. i do enjoy the history of sports and i just finished watching a video on the flyers back in the day before i was born. still, i do not find myself rooting for one team over another because it is older. in fact, some of the better stories actually come from teams that are newer. who would have thought the rays would even have a winning record, let alone make it to the world series. how about the coyotes (i know they are older than the rays although they are new to phoenix) making the 4th seed.

who wants to see the wings make it to the finals again if they are not a fan of the team? there are some teams i like more than others and some teams i really can not stand. if my team is out i pretty much root against certain teams rather than root for teams. i do not care if they are in the league since the beginning or are brand new. if i like their players and team i will root for them. if not i will root against them. i think it is kind of lame to root for a team because they are an original 6 team like yours. it seems more like being a bandwagon fan. besides the fans of the 2 teams and a couple of mentions of each of their history who will even be thinking of them as original 6 teams once the game starts?

Good point. I agree, it's a big deal about nothing. One fan mentioned going to a sports bar in Boston and seeing pictures of Bobby Orr playing as being a catalyst. In most cases I probably saw him play more than younger Bruins fans saw him play.

Let the damn sport speak for itself and stop living in the past. It's a great game and lets just all enjoy it without all this old teams vs "new" team shit..