• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Orcas feeding the Sharks - Round 1 Stanley Cup Playoffs

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless, I think we can all agree that the refs have been pretty terrible this series.

Inconsistent with calls both ways, missing obvious shit at crucial potential series momentum-shifting times, etc.

Guess it happens in all series but still sucks. /shrug

EDIT: #400!

100% agreement but its across the league for sure. canucks down 3-0 has nothing to do with officiating... even if we got all the calls our PP sucks thats its not even a threat.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
catch and release happened in game 2 by a sharks dman i believe ... that call has disappeared from the rule book though

/question on HSedins faceoff violation from game 2 ... did he actually touch the puck with his hand ... missed the replay on the big screen but heard everyone screaming

I didn't watch the Henrik replay at the time so can't answer the second part but I think it was an iffy call, IIRC.

Desjardins definitely got away with grabbing the puck off the goal line last night, though. Refs reviewed the puck crossing the line but guess you can't award the penalty shot after review (but surely they immediately realized that they missed calling it)...

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't watch the Henrik replay at the time so can't answer the second part but I think it was an iffy call, IIRC.

Desjardins definitely got away with grabbing the puck off the goal line last night, though. Refs reviewed the puck crossing the line but guess you can't award the penalty shot after review (but surely they immediately realized that they missed calling it)...

that henrik one looked to me like the shaft of the stick hit the puck. but I cant blame the ref for calling it at that angle its just bad luck

and the puck on the line last night really was over the line I thought but really it didnt matter would not have made a difference.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish we could bring back the '94 Canucks - Even after they eliminated the Flames, I rooted for the team to go all the way. Guys like Trevor Linden, Greg Adams, Doug Lidster, and Kirk McLean. No bitchin' or cryin', just a team led by hard-nosed Pat Quinn that fell a Nathan Lafayette post shy of going the distance.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish we could bring back the '94 Canucks - Even after they eliminated the Flames, I rooted for the team to go all the way. Guys like Trevor Linden, Greg Adams, Doug Lidster, and Kirk McLean. No bitchin' or cryin', just a team led by hard-nosed Pat Quinn that fell a Nathan Lafayette post shy of going the distance.

:Cry::Cry::Cry:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Kesler is exempt because he is American?

5zPZv7G.gif

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can't wait to hear Thornton's reaction next...

Last edited by a moderator:

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that henrik one looked to me like the shaft of the stick hit the puck. but I cant blame the ref for calling it at that angle its just bad luck

and the puck on the line last night really was over the line I thought but really it didnt matter would not have made a difference.

My 1st impression was that he took one hand (slightly) off the stick to bat it back. The stick did not touch the puck. :2cents:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, especially after (I think someone wrote elsewhere) he said something like "we know they dive a lot, but we'll stick to our game plan" during a 1st intermission interview.

:L

/lets just keep an eye on his "penalties drawn" stat in a couple years

The precipitous drop off in comparison to now would make burrows/kesler smile as only members of the "diving brotherhood" would

Last edited by a moderator:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
John Garrett was also wondering why the Couture "catch and throw" wasn't called (would have given the Canucks a 5-on-3)
That one bugged me. Was a pretty crucial moment in the game, and especially as the sharks got their own 5on 3 shortly thereafter.
Is that a monthly strata fee of $1362? As Darren Pang would say, "Holy Jumpin'"

My last townhouse had strata fees just north of $900 just before I sold it. Made me think we could upgrade into a decent detached if we put that money into a bigger mortgage.
Of course, I grumble every time I have to do my own weeding now.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
botchford had the best assessment of the team and its struggles so far imo

I want to see them change it up tonight and start "blowing the zone" ... lose 7-6 if you have to

1. We all agree, I think, the fundamental problem for the Canucks is their lack of scoring. It is this year. It was last year. They are 2-11 in their past 13 playoff games with 17 goals scored.

So, what did the coach do coming out of last year’s debacle? He changed his systems to throttle scoring on his top line.

Elliotte Friedman outlined the changes quite nicely in a recent 30 Thoughts column, titled Canucks Discover Winning Ugly is a Beautiful Thing.

The second change the coaching staff made was asking forwards to play deeper in the defensive end than before.

At their attacking best, the Canucks were known for “blowing the zone,” allowing forwards to break for offensive opportunities before the puck was cleared.

That doesn’t happen as often.

To alter systems in a way that slows down his forwards and gives the Sedins fewer opportunities to generate scoring chances is counterintuitive at the best of times.

These are not the best of times. These are the “why the hell can’t they score goals” times. Then, you find out it’s partly by design and your mind is blown. Mine was anyway.

In a lot of ways, it sums up the AV era. It also leaves you wondering what the Sedins could do with a different, offensive minded coach.

Anyone see what OV did this year?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if anything bieksas comments will make the refs think about things next game ... albeit I wont be surprised if the canucks get called for a dive

Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff 2h Well, well, well. AV's buddy Kelly Sutherland & Chris Lee are your diving adjudicators for #Canucks vs #SJSharks Game 4

/i shall now go to bodog in search of a "will the canucks get called for a diving penalty?" prop bet

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops on the TSN main page:

The Vancouver Canucks will try to avoid getting swept in the first round of the playoffs for a second straight year when they visit the San Jose Sharks this evening in Game 4 at HP Pavilion. Catch the action live on TSN and TSN Mobile TV at 10pm et/7pm pt. Full Story.

Didn't the Canucks win game 4 against LA last year?

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got Charlestown trailing here three to nothing, with 10.48 left in the first period.

Whoops! Correction, folks. That's two to nothing.

We don't wanna make it any tougher for the Chiefs.

something like this but yes they won game 4

Oops on the TSN main page:

The Vancouver Canucks will try to avoid getting swept in the first round of the playoffs for a second straight year when they visit the San Jose Sharks this evening in Game 4 at HP Pavilion. Catch the action live on TSN and TSN Mobile TV at 10pm et/7pm pt. Full Story.

Didn't the Canucks win game 4 against LA last year?