• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Opposite George Presents Matthew Berry's 100 facts for the 2021 Fantasy Football Season

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree.
Many fantasy owners buy into the off-season hype. Or they pick familiar names.
Look at Tim Tebow. Never really did much in the NFL. But the name - "TEBOW!"
He gets signed to play TE and he is one of the most "added" players in dynasty leagues.
Doesn't even make it through camp.

On the other side of the coin, I see the perspective.
Shiny new toy parked in the garage.
NFL teams can't wait to show it off, right?
This might be the mentality and it makes sense. It's logical.

But it can be a crapshoot to gauge.
Most rookies don't do squat (unless they're a first-round RB).
Players who change teams don't always make a splash either (in that they fall below expectations).

The one thing I learned is that you need insurance on your bench.
If you fill your bench with sleepers and hyped players, then you have a bench of "potential" only.
Draft only a couple of these guys tops.
As Berry pointed out, you do need guys who may not be flashy, yet can still be consistent fantasy contributors.
Sadly, most fantasy owners swing for the fences.
That is something I have put more thought to then in recent years....depth. Not that I never paid attention to it but for example instead of grabbing a defense early bc I believe my team is "strong"....pass on defense one or two rounds later and get another RB/WR for depth especially RB's, it's the position that kills me if I lose. I will point out something, I never well very rarely draft a TE early, I guess I just don't value the position in terms of fantasy or the top tier goes earlier than expected and I wait till later rounds. It's just something I never did.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OBJ is tempting tho.
He can be productive.
His problem is only playing all 16 games in just 2 of his 7 seasons.
don't get me wrong, I'd take him (or Julio). But not over some lesser known (or at least popular) but more productive players.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is something I have put more thought to then in recent years....depth. Not that I never paid attention to it but for example instead of grabbing a defense early bc I believe my team is "strong"....pass on defense one or two rounds later and get another RB/WR for depth especially RB's, it's the position that kills me if I lose. I will point out something, I never well very rarely draft a TE early, I guess I just don't value the position in terms of fantasy or the top tier goes earlier than expected and I wait till later rounds. It's just something I never did.
I always take Defense and kicker with my last 2 picks. Seems like the so-called best defenses rarely are. Agree on TE. I say that having taken Kelce late round 1, but if I didn't take him I'd have waited a long time before I took a TE.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Berry is always a good, entertaining read. Damn good writer gong back to his Married with Children days. ....

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Berry is always a good, entertaining read. Damn good writer gong back to his Married with Children days. ....
Tell ya what, the best writing ever was by Wil and Lefty with the Golden Mountain Saga.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally read through Berry's 100. Good stuff as always.
But the concluding stats on Logan Thomas reminded me of a conversation earlier in the off-season:

94. Last season, only three tight ends had more red zone targets than Logan Thomas.
. . .
97A. And he did all that with quarterbacks Dwayne Haskins, Kyle Allen and Alex Smith.
98. This offseason, Washington upgraded at quarterback and gave Thomas a three-year, $24 million extension.
99. Last season, Thomas was the third-best TE in fantasy.
View attachment 271752View attachment 271755

It had to do with targets to each of the skill positions.
With the trio of Haskins, Allen & Smith, Washington threw to the TE 20% of the time.
By comparison, while Fitzpatrick was in Miami, he threw to the TE 19% of the time.

That 1% may not seem like much, but Fitz loves to go for the homerun and looks to the WR much more.
Haskins, Allen & Smith may have been looking for the easy completions.
I guess it depends on your perspective.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally read through Berry's 100. Good stuff as always.
But the concluding stats on Logan Thomas reminded me of a conversation earlier in the off-season:

View attachment 271752View attachment 271755

It had to do with targets to each of the skill positions.
With the trio of Haskins, Allen & Smith, Washington threw to the TE 20% of the time.
By comparison, while Fitzpatrick was in Miami, he threw to the TE 19% of the time.

That 1% may not seem like much, but Fitz loves to go for the homerun and looks to the WR much more.
Haskins, Allen & Smith may have been looking for the easy completions.
I guess it depends on your perspective.
I think it's the people who didn't know Thomas would be great with Alex Smith that think he'll still be great without him.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Berry is cutting this close.
He switched teams again (NBC) and waits until August 11.

Here were a few of my favorite comments:

There are tons – and I mean tons – of smart men and women out there, analyzing fantasy football and specific NFL players' value in the game from every possible angle. And every single one of us is telling you why this guy is awesome and this one is a bum, why that guy is undervalued and how you need to ignore this other guy. IT'S ALL JUST OPINION.

Question everyone and everything you hear, many times over. Take it all in and then make your own call.

Everything you are about to read below is an accurate statistical statement. A heavily researched, well-thought-out, 100-percent-true, can't-be-argued-with, fully vetted fact. Some of them are about players, some of them are about teams and not a damn bit of it tells the whole story.

23-25. In his final two regular-season games last year, Joe Burrow threw for 971 yards and 8 touchdowns. But in the six games prior to those final two, Burrow threw for 6 touchdowns. ....almost HALF of Joe Burrow's fantasy points last year, 47% to be exact, came in those two final weeks (a beat-up Ravens team in Week 16 and the crazy 34-31 game vs. KC in Week 17) and in Week 7 at Baltimore. Three games accounted for 47% of Burrow's fantasy points last year.

44. from Week 4 to Week 18 last year, those numbers turn into:
  • Jones: 14.3 touches a game, 79.8 yards from scrimmage per game, 13.8 points per game.
  • Dillon: 14.4 touches a game, 74.1 yards from scrimmage per game, 12.4 points per game.

Last edited: