• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

opinions on this article?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious, how could you know? He says he's an addict.

Just a gut feel, he's saying what he's supposed to say.

I think he's cost himself a ton of $ already with his problems so he's more than a functioning abuser. He's probably got some addict in him.

I just don't see the addict road where when his career is done he ends up drinking and drugging himself to death. But I wouldn't rule that out either.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the first sign of an addict is denial. So his admitting he is an addict proves he is jot one, right?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a gut feel, he's saying what he's supposed to say.

I think he's cost himself a ton of $ already with his problems so he's more than a functioning abuser. He's probably got some addict in him.

I just don't see the addict road where when his career is done he ends up drinking and drugging himself to death. But I wouldn't rule that out either.

MSG: there's no "some addict" in him. He's either an addict (in which case drinking will kill him) or he's not (in which case he may not die of addiction). There's no middle of the road position. I'm taking him at his word based on 15 + years of experience that being an addict is the LAST thing anyone wants to admit to.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the first sign of an addict is denial. So his admitting he is an addict proves he is jot one, right?

I don't even know where you got that from.

Or what it means.

Perhaps you were trying to be clever/funny.
:arg::arg:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly....and it's a common mistake. The essential difference is ability to choose. Abusers have it; addicts do not.

I think he won't die as long as he's a professional sports player. They have too many babysitters who will look over him as long as he's productive/under contract. If he gets cut or when his career is over, I think there's a good chance he dies from his current predicament.

All of this is obviously my opinion.....and I hope I'm wrong.

Oh and tzill, take it easy. Educating by teaching is much better than educating by belittling. Not everybody has the same experiences. You're throwing around highly educated, empirical guesses like they are absolute fact. While I THINK you are right, we once thought the atom was the smallest piece of matter.....or the speed of light was the fastest speed attainable. Just because you were potty trained by gun point doesn't mean everybody else was. :heh:

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he won't die as long as he's a professional sports player. They have too many babysitters who will look over him as long as he's productive/under contract. If he gets cut or when his career is over, I think there's a good chance he dies from his current predicament.

Oh and tzill, take it easy. Educating by teaching is much better than educating by belittling. Not everybody has the same experiences. You're throwing around highly educated, empirical guesses like they are absolute fact. While I THINK you are right, we once thought the atom was the smallest piece of matter.....or the speed of light was the fastest speed attainable. Just because you were potty trained by gun point doesn't mean everybody else was. :heh:

Stop posting rep-worthy shit. Some of us need to spread it around a bit...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First, sorry if I've belittled anyone; that was never my intention. Second, what I've posted are not GUESSES, they're my EXPERIENCE from working long and hard in the field for over 15 years. Third, as for bodyguards keeping a pro athlete sober -- Darryl Strawberry says "hi."

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, sorry if I've belittled anyone; that was never my intention. Second, what I've posted are not GUESSES, they're my EXPERIENCE from working long and hard in the field for over 15 years. Third, as for bodyguards keeping a pro athlete sober -- Darryl Strawberry says "hi."

My bad tzill, after reading through again, you didn't necessarily belittle anybody. I just thought some of the tones were a little harsh (i.e. - being "dead wrong" in their opinions). Any empirical evidence has to have a little bit of skepticism though right? Like I said, I agree with your point of view (i.e. - addicts do NOT have a choice), I just thought that you were using your experience as fact. As for Darryl, I could definitely be wrong, but I think the game (all of the major cash cow sports) have changed quite a bit since money is the end-all-be-all. I think back in Strawberry's day that it was more of a recommendation from Management. We now have things like "Camp Panda" and 24/7 dieticians/trainers. I realize that it's still a personal choice and this type of urging is saved for star players, but that's exactly what Josh Hamilton is.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad tzill, after reading through again, you didn't necessarily belittle anybody. I just thought some of the tones were a little harsh (i.e. - being "dead wrong" in their opinions). Any empirical evidence has to have a little bit of skepticism though right? Like I said, I agree with your point of view (i.e. - addicts do NOT have a choice), I just thought that you were using your experience as fact. As for Darryl, I could definitely be wrong, but I think the game (all of the major cash cow sports) have changed quite a bit since money is the end-all-be-all. I think back in Strawberry's day that it was more of a recommendation from Management. We now have things like "Camp Panda" and 24/7 dieticians/trainers. I realize that it's still a personal choice and this type of urging is saved for star players, but that's exactly what Josh Hamilton is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Giants assign someone to babysit Straw? IIRC, it was about the time that Bobby Bonds Jr. attempted a comeback from his addiction problems as a 29 yo minor league rookie.

Aside - Bobby Jr. was the best baseball player I ever personally saw in HS....ran like the wind, hit with power and for average, cannon for an arm, could catch anything near him. His little brother essentially played in his shadow for a year or two.