• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Opening Day Roster Predictions

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
walked by the park yesterday. grass looks great and they were mowing. no further work on the bullpens... probably 2-3wks to get them in shape.

big news is across the cove in parking lot A. as you may know this is port property (piers and docks, mostly in non-maritime use adorn the bay off lot A), but optioned to the giants when they agreed to build 'pacbell'. it's been slated for development even since the ink was signed and rumored to be a prime reason for the giants to build in sf.

even as sf has an covid19 stop to all non-essential business, construction is going hot and heavy in lot A. if you are familiar with the area, mccovey's statue is as the point and there's a walk leading leading to it from the the lefty o'doul 3rd street bridge. the walk has a median park and was surrounded with plaques showing the complete roster for each team since moving to sf through 1999. That's all gone. I assume it'll be reinstated after lot A development which is to include parkspace, a residential complex, and a commercial complex. what it won't have is parking - no idea how the giants will address parking needs for fans coming in from the greater bay area. it's always been at capacity on game day

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my way-to-early, if-the-season-were-to-be-played, FZ-may-get-rid-of-half-these-guys-because-he-can prediction of the 2020 Opening Day roster:
Starting rotation - Jonny Cueto, Jeff Samardzija, Kevin Gausman, Drew Smyly, Dereck Rodriguez
Bullpen - Trevor Cahill, Sam Coonrod, Enderson Franco, Jarlin Garcia, Trevor Gott, Dany Jimenez, Wandy Peralta, Tyler Rogers, Tony Watson
Catchers - Rob Brantly, Buster Posey
Infielders - Brandon Belt, Brandon Crawford, Mauricio Dubon, Wilmer Flores, Evan Longoria, Yolmer Sanchez, Pablo Sandoval, Donovan Solano
Outfielders - Alex Dickerson, Billy Hamilton, Hunter Pence, Austin Slater, Mike Yastrzemski
Injured List - Tyler Anderson (10), Tyler Beede (60), Reyes Moronta (60), Aramis Garcia (60)
Moronta and Garcia are already on the 60 day IL so Beede's move will open a spot for Cahill. Room on the 40 will need to be made for Brantly, Sanchez, Sandoval and Hamilton.
I am banking on Watson and Sandoval being fully recovered but Anderson still in rehab.
Minor point, and it doesn’t change any of your logic, but I believe they did away with the 10-day and reinstated the 15-day...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minor point, and it doesn’t change any of your logic, but I believe they did away with the 10-day and reinstated the 15-day...
Thank you, I forgot about that and you are, to my understanding, partially correct. I do believe it is still a 10 day for position players but the minimum is now 15 days for pitchers. Tyler Anderson, as a pitcher, would be on the 15 day IL

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you, I forgot about that and you are, to my understanding, partially correct. I do believe it is still a 10 day for position players but the minimum is now 15 days for pitchers. Tyler Anderson, as a pitcher, would be on the 15 day IL
I hate how they making official differentiations between pitchers and position players. If Otani gets hurt, does he go on the 10-day or the 15-day?

Players are players. They have different skill sets, but they are just players.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate how they making official differentiations between pitchers and position players. If Otani gets hurt, does he go on the 10-day or the 15-day?

Players are players. They have different skill sets, but they are just players.
I am calling that the FZ rule and, really, the rule is for starting pitchers. Relievers could be kept on the 10 day and it not be a problem. The nature on how starters are used made the 10 day rule ripe for abuse. Maybe they should have just moved it back to the 15 day IL for everyone.

As for Ohtani, I would think that he would be categorized as a pitcher until he officially met the 2 way rule. Then, I would assume the team can decide how he is listed on the IL, unless MLB has some kind of rule that says 2 way players are treated as pitchers for IL purposes.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a problem with your guess : you have 14 pitchers and a max of 13 pitchers can be on the new 26-man roster - new rule.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a problem with your guess : you have 14 pitchers and a max of 13 pitchers can be on the new 26-man roster - new rule.
My 29 man roster guess was based on the uncertainty of MLB enforcing that 13 pitcher limit temporarily. Last I heard, there wasn't a statement one way or the other about allowing for another pitcher or two but there was speculation that MLB would allow 14 to 15 pitchers as long as the roster allows for 29 players. I went with the assumption that they would allow 14 pitchers on a 29 man roster.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoops, I missed that bit of news. I guess I've been concentrating on other things ... :noidea:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be surprised if ALL of the extra spots could be pitchers, as the articles I just read all mentioned not just "not enough time to prepare and get in a routine" but also the fact that there will probably be lots of double-headers and few days off. So to protect pitcher's arms, an extra starter and extra bullpen help would be the way to go.

We'll see

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be surprised if ALL of the extra spots could be pitchers, as the articles I just read all mentioned not just "not enough time to prepare and get in a routine" but also the fact that there will probably be lots of double-headers and few days off. So to protect pitcher's arms, an extra starter and extra bullpen help would be the way to go.

We'll see
I assume MLB will be somewhat flexible but still cap the pitchers at 14 or 15. I could be wrong as I'm not basing that on anything I've read, just a hunch I have.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm resurrecting this post with my barely before Opening Day prediction for the 30 man roster (I assume the Giants will use all 30 spots. I've heard that teams have the option to carry anywhere from 26 to 30 players for the first month. I also assumed, like before, that the 13 pitcher limit is not in effect this year)
Pitchers (15): Tyler Anderson, Caleb Baragar, Trevor Cahill, Sam Coonrod, Johnny Cueto, Kevin Gausman, Trevor Gott, Dany Jimenez, Wandy Peralta, Derek Rodriguez, Tyler Rogers, Jeff Samardzija, Drew Smyly, Andrew Suarez, Tony Watson
Catchers (2): Rob Brantly, Tyler Heineman
Infielders (7): Brandon Crawford, Mauricio Dubon, Wilmer Flores, Darrin Ruf, Yolmer Sanchez, Pablo Sandoval, Donovan Solano
Outfielders (6): Alex Dickerson, Steven Duggar, Billy Hamilton, Hunter Pence, Austin Slater, Mike Yastrzemski
Injured List (10 day): Jarlin Garcia, Brandon Belt, Evan Longoria
Injured List (45 day): Tyler Beede, Reyes Moronta, Aramis Garcia
Restricted List: Buster Posey

Baragar, Cahill, Brantly, Heineman, Ruf, Sanchez, Sandoval and Hamilton all need spots on the 40 man roster. Currently, there are 3 available spots. I wouldn't be surprised if Melvon Adon, Jandel Gustave, Chris Shaw and Keon Wong are all 40 man casualties, considering they are not in the 60 player pool. I would guess that either Sam Selman or Abiatal Avelino also get cut from the 40 man roster.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm resurrecting this post with my barely before Opening Day prediction for the 30 man roster (I assume the Giants will use all 30 spots. I've heard that teams have the option to carry anywhere from 26 to 30 players for the first month. I also assumed, like before, that the 13 pitcher limit is not in effect this year)
Pitchers (15): Tyler Anderson, Caleb Baragar, Trevor Cahill, Sam Coonrod, Johnny Cueto, Kevin Gausman, Trevor Gott, Dany Jimenez, Wandy Peralta, Derek Rodriguez, Tyler Rogers, Jeff Samardzija, Drew Smyly, Andrew Suarez, Tony Watson
Catchers (2): Rob Brantly, Tyler Heineman
Infielders (7): Brandon Crawford, Mauricio Dubon, Wilmer Flores, Darrin Ruf, Yolmer Sanchez, Pablo Sandoval, Donovan Solano
Outfielders (6): Alex Dickerson, Steven Duggar, Billy Hamilton, Hunter Pence, Austin Slater, Mike Yastrzemski
Injured List (10 day): Jarlin Garcia, Brandon Belt, Evan Longoria
Injured List (45 day): Tyler Beede, Reyes Moronta, Aramis Garcia
Restricted List: Buster Posey

Baragar, Cahill, Brantly, Heineman, Ruf, Sanchez, Sandoval and Hamilton all need spots on the 40 man roster. Currently, there are 3 available spots. I wouldn't be surprised if Melvon Adon, Jandel Gustave, Chris Shaw and Keon Wong are all 40 man casualties, considering they are not in the 60 player pool. I would guess that either Sam Selman or Abiatal Avelino also get cut from the 40 man roster.

Pretty close, LHG

edocpacu4ai0mzz-jpeg.248474

Reactions: LHG