• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part V minutes for fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy to.
You're going to have to remind me on Monday.

Oh, I will.

So, a bit about my experience with John. After my son's freshman season at his school, he got cut as a sophomore with no explanation and completely by surprise. I asked around for other schools coaches' I knew and three said they'd love to take him but rules prevented it. They said he'd have to play club and they all gave me John's name. I knew of him, but can't say I really *knew* him. I called him and explained the situation and told him my son's name. He said "Oh, I know who he is." He mentioned that his org had never beaten him the whole time he'd been playing. "we remember the ones we can't beat" he said laughing. He said that he was shocked he didn't make his school team. Told me he didn't have a spot as he had three goalies (and two were his own kids) but he said he would find a place for him to practice with the team.

On my son's first day with the club, he pulled my son aside and said "I don't get why. It makes no sense. A lot of people can't figure it out." He then put a bucket on the floor in front of my son and said "whatever you still feel about it, put it in here and leave it. It's over. You're here now. We're glad to have you, and you can help us as much as we can help you." He was the 4th "practice" goalie all year and got in 4 games in a tourney. At the end of the season, he told my son to go back and try out at his school again. Put in his best and if it didn't work out, he was welcome back. He said "make it so if they don't choose you, it's their problem".

They didn't choose him, and we called John immediately. At the first practice John pulled me aside and said "That was the hardest group of prayers I have ever had. I wanted him to make his school team. I wanted him to get that reward. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't super happy he's back. He's gonna anchor this team for two years."

He took time at every practice to talk with my son about leadership, adversity and everything. Made a difference to my kid that I couldn't and helped open my son see the importance of hockey to people who didn't have it as "easy" as he had. All of my son's volunteer hours (more than twice what's required to graduate) have all been with Parks and Rec and CIHC.

Had my son made his school team as a Sophomore, I am convinced he would have quit hockey by Junior year.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the question who goes out to get his paper naked as a jaybird?

:D
That was my first experience to Norris hockey as a kid. If I remember correctly he did have a bathrobe on.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Dino Ciccarelli is the correct answer gents.
Actually he would have been pretty high up on my list when I was about 10.
He gave me a puck from warm up in his rookie year. I still have it somewhere.

Didn't he also spend a day in jail for smashing Luke Richardson over the head with a hockey stick?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't he also spend a day in jail for smashing Luke Richardson over the head with a hockey stick?

He sure did.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Richardson deserved it :D

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norris - top 3 in points = Finalists.

I had no idea who #4 was. Or is. I need to start watching some other teams

Would love for them to create an "Orr" award for top scoring D man and start giving the Norris to an all around defenseman.

Not that I disagree with the talent of the three nominees, mind you. Zach Werenski could win it some day, but he's not really a defenseman. He's a Rover. No one looks over their shoulder going into a corner with him.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The correct answer is Patrick Marleau.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1