• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part V minutes for fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not thrilled if true. Laviolette and Gallant are far better options. Unless they just didn't want the gig.

giphy.gif

1gzf5o.gif

The NHL just made trades less interesting.

Actually, not terribly upset by this. I mean yeah, gonna be less interesting trades, but I get the reasoning.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for him. Hope he settles down a bit now.

I'm happy for him and his wife as she did suffer a miscarriage a little over a year ago and she was quite far along in her pregnancy when it happened. I'm sure that was a tough time for both of them.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy for him and his wife as she did suffer a miscarriage a little over a year ago and she was quite far along in her pregnancy when it happened. I'm sure that was a tough time for both of them.

I don't think I knew that. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. That kind of thing never leaves you.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the Chicago Blackhawks name and logo as offensive as the Washington NFL team’s nickname? It’s complicated.

I once had quite the argument about this with my brother in law. He said that Blackhawks was just as offensive as Redskins (after arguing that "Redskins" wasn't offensive at all and losing). They way I see the difference:

The Hawks were named to honor an individual and while the logo isn't stellar in the sense of being considerate, I don't think the name itself is as bad. Because it's honoring an individual. In a roundabout way the Blue Jackets are honoring an individual as well, without the imagery. The Ohio "Blue Jackets" regiment in the civil war was named in honor of Shawnee Chief Blue Jacket, and the team was named after them. And there is a difference in honoring and individual and slurring a people.

The best comparison I can come up with is you have a team and you want to name them in honor of Martin Luther King. It's the difference between naming your team the "Kings" vs naming your team the "Uppity N-words".

A "Red Skin" was the proof required to collect your bounty from the government for having killed a native. Literally the scalp or skin of a human you killed just because of the way they look. There's no real way to spin that as positive.

Edit: but at the end of the day - me being a white guy I don't get to decide how offensive "blackhawks" really is.

Last edited:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the Chicago Blackhawks name and logo as offensive as the Washington NFL team’s nickname? It’s complicated.

I once had quite the argument about this with my brother in law. He said that Blackhawks was just as offensive as Redskins (after arguing that "Redskins" wasn't offensive at all and losing). They way I see the difference:

The Hawks were named to honor an individual and while the logo isn't stellar in the sense of being considerate, I don't think the name itself is as bad. Because it's honoring an individual. In a roundabout way the Blue Jackets are honoring an individual as well, without the imagery. The Ohio "Blue Jackets" regiment in the civil war was named in honor of Shawnee Chief Blue Jacket, and the team was named after them. And there is a difference in honoring and individual and slurring a people.

The best comparison I can come up with is you have a team and you want to name them in honor of Martin Luther King. It's the difference between naming your team the "Kings" vs naming your team the "Uppity N-words".

A "Red Skin" was the proof required to collect your bounty from the government for having killed a native. Literally the scalp or skin of a human you killed just because of the way they look. There's no real way to spin that as positive.
I always see this come up when the Redskins thing flares up in the news again and it’s pretty simple for me - there’s Indigenous People telling everyone that Redskins and their logo is offensive as shit. I don’t think I’ve ever really seen any FN people speaking out in large numbers against the Hawks.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^

Along those lines, while there have been some calls in the past for the Atlanta Braves to change their name, it definitely pales in comparison to the Redskins.

/What offends me more than the Braves name is the tomahawk chop that the fans do.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^

Along those lines, while there have been some calls in the past for the Atlanta Braves to change their name, it definitely pales in comparison to the Redskins.

/What offends me more than the Braves name is the tomahawk chop that the fans do.

And these guys:
063e98b0-66e1-4735-9ca7-2a68d0b017e2.jpg

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think Buffalo would ever trade Eichel and if they did they would lose any trade because he is very very good and the likelihood of a one-for-one with equal value coming back is is very small.

The writer who spent time in his day typing these theoreticals doesn’t understand any of the above and yet he gets paid for his time.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Summer hockey here to stay?

//if the 20-21 season starts jan 1 2021, shouldnt they call it the 2021 season :think:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say it again, put hockey in the Summer Olympics and you eliminate the need to shut down the league for a month during normal circumstances.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SO far Hamonic and Baertschi opted out, are there any others?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SO far Hamonic and Baertschi opted out, are there any others?
135 players voted against the new cba and rtp package so im sure more will be opting out. They have until Monday to declare. Not really sure why black aces would hop on an airplane to go to a city that may be experiencing covid breakouts to end up not playing :noidea: fear the ramifications of THE CODE i guess

//not even sure if the blacks aces/bubble nhlers/ahlers got to vote for this :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.