• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone focusing on blindside ... why?

???

Cwl_qp0XcAARsnQ
Don't head-hunting hits usually involve the player's feet leaving the ice? This would indicate the intent wasn't to make contact with his head.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't head-hunting hits usually involve the player's feet leaving the ice? This would indicate the intent wasn't to make contact with his head.

His feet leave the ice

His right skate is coming up before contact

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, if Kadri hits McDavid or Crosby like he hit Daniel last night, does he get suspended?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an explanatory video released by Brendan Shanahan, the NHL's senior vice-president of player safety, he said Stoll's head was "the principal point of contact" in the hit, creating grounds for suspension. Although Torres initially made contact with Stoll's right shoulder, Shanahan ruled that the shoulder hit was only a glancing blow, as evidenced by the direction both players travelled after the contact.

Sharks' Raffi Torres suspended for rest of series against Kings for hit to head

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an explanatory video released by Brendan Shanahan, the NHL's senior vice-president of player safety, he said Stoll's head was "the principal point of contact" in the hit, creating grounds for suspension. Although Torres initially made contact with Stoll's right shoulder, Shanahan ruled that the shoulder hit was only a glancing blow, as evidenced by the direction both players travelled after the contact.

Sharks' Raffi Torres suspended for rest of series against Kings for hit to head
Here's Geno last playoffs jumping half a foot to nail Winnik in the head. No call, no supplemental discipline:

If the point is to show that the league is inconsistent with its punishment, there will be 100 pages of examples on this thread shortly.

It's not a good hit, not much else to say, but if punishment is determined by slowing the play down to a crawl and examining it millisecond by millisecond it was always going to look less dirty than it does at full force.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did leave the ice.

By the position of Sedin's head to Kadri's body, it looks like that freeze was taken after the pic jstew posted. That would indicate that if he is indeed off the ice at this moment his skates lifted after primary contact had been made no?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the point is to show that the league is inconsistent with its punishment, there will be 100 pages of examples on this thread shortly.

No argument here.

It's not a good hit, not much else to say, but if punishment is determined by slowing the play down to a crawl and examining it millisecond by millisecond it was always going to look less dirty than it does at full force.

It just seems so hypocritical though, no coach or GM wants to see the best player on their team take a hit like that and we hear it all the time that we need to get hits like that out of the game, but then there's no punishment.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument here.

It just seems so hypocritical though, no coach or GM wants to see their best player on their team take a hit like that and we hear it all the time that we need to get hits like that out of the game, but then there's no punishment.
No argument, but if there isn't any still or motion footage clearly showing the head as the PPOC what rule are you suspending him on?

LeBrun posted another tweet saying there were a few GM's on board with the rule change (originally said Jarmo was by his lonesome) but it was still an overwhelming majority that didn't want a blindside rule in there. Live by the gun etc.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the position of Sedin's head to Kadri's body, it looks like that freeze was taken after the pic jstew posted. That would indicate that if he is indeed off the ice at this moment his skates lifted after primary contact had been made no?

Yup his foot is coming up before the hit and both feet are up after contact. He jumped into it

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Utter horseshit play by Martin.... but just who exactly is going to 'kill' him
Gubberson is big, can fight OK. Tryamkin is huge, not sure if he can fight
Dorsett will fight, but is overmatched.

Do they even have an Oglethorpe do bring in? I don't think so

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utter horseshit play by Martin.... but just who exactly is going to 'kill' him
Gubberson is big, can fight OK. Tryamkin is huge, not sure if he can fight
Dorsett will fight, but is overmatched.

Do they even have an Oglethorpe do bring in? I don't think so
If Burrows can spear 22 year old Morgan Rielly and then chase after him off the draw to fight, and if Dorsett can pass on fighting Martin only to go after Komarov I really don't want to hear that what Martin did was horseshit. Reap what you sow.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Burrows can spear 22 year old Morgan Rielly and then chase after him off the draw to fight, and if Dorsett can pass on fighting Martin only to go after Komarov I really don't want to hear that what Martin did was horseshit. Reap what you sow.

^
This

Dorsett had his chance with Martin and he passed. Instead tough guy jumps Komarov. Oh his way off the ice, THEN Dorsett gets mouthy with Martin, with a linesman between them. Nice. Martin "responds" by taking on the kid (forgot his name). And honestly, watch the lead up to both fights. TG Dorsett immediately goes after Komarov. Martin got the kid in a headlock then threw him to the ice. The camera cuts away for a second, then they are fighting. Not even close to comparable. I did not see Martin "go after" the kid. Not at all.

/respect for Miller

Last edited:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Kadri. Meh. I could go either way on the suspension. Real time, I thought he hit him in the back/shoulder and just ran him over, so a good hockey play. From different angles, I see the differences.

What I do not understand is the idea that you cannot check from behind. Referring to the Kekelainen proposal. Where did that come from?

To recap, you cant:

Check a player into the boards unless they have their back to the boards and they see you coming a mile off
Check a player from the neck up
Check a player below the waist
Point of contact must be the torso
  • Secondary point of contact better not be any of the above mentioned areas, if the player you hit is a "star". Guys like Winnik? Who cares, do whatcha want.
Better yet, no secondary point of contact
Make sure your arm is locked into your own torso (else it is an elbow, and therefore a head shot)
Keep your arm there regardless
Stay on your skates the whole time. If you lose your balance during the contact, your skates may come off the ice, and then you "jumped"
Make sure you are within 1 inch in height of the other player, or else you are bound to violate one of the above

/sigh

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Kadri. Meh. I could go either way on the suspension. Real time, I thought he hit him in the back/shoulder and just ran him over, so a good hockey play. From different angles, I see the differences.

What I do not understand is the idea that you cannot check from behind. Referring to the Kekelainen proposal. Where did that come from?

To recap, you cant:

Check a player into the boards unless they have their back to the boards and they see you coming a mile off
Check a player from the neck up
Check a player below the waist
Point of contact must be the torso
  • Secondary point of contact better not be any of the above mentioned areas, if the player you hit is a "star". Guys like Winnik? Who cares, do whatcha want.
Better yet, no secondary point of contact
Make sure your arm is locked into your own torso (else it is an elbow, and therefore a head shot)
Keep your arm there regardless
Stay on your skates the whole time. If you lose your balance during the contact, your skates may come off the ice, and then you "jumped"
Make sure you are within 1 inch in height of the other player, or else you are bound to violate one of the above

/sigh
Naz came across wanting to demolish Sedin, and Sedin was never going to see it coming. I don't like that, but nothing about it is illegal. For people clamouring for a suspension, I just can't understand what violation he would be suspended under. You can't just suspend a guy because he's a multiple-time offender and made a hit you don't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.