• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you have to go all the way back to 1929 for the last time the Leafs scored two goals over a five game stretch.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a difference between dirty/cheap play and reckless/dangerous play?

Yes. Dirty is what Carcillo pulled. It's nasty unnecessary and stupid. It's also cheap.

Reckless/dangerous is more of a Garbut/Marchand type of play; a slewfoot or a hit that is close to boards. Something that could end a career.

Combine the two and you have pretty much encapsulated Matt Cooke's career.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking Dreger. Paraphrasing from his spot on TSN1050 this morning:

"People are talking about the Leafs buying out contracts. They used their two compliance buyouts already so they can't use those anymore." Uh...neither can anybody else, dipshit.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CON-NOR
CON-NOR
CON-NOR

Have they started this chant yet at the ACC?

They're going to have an awfully hard time getting into the mix for that. Despite their recent play, they're still up on Buffalo and Edmonton by 16 points. Which is better than 50% of the total for those teams.

Edmonton has a game in hand, but I'm chalking that up as a loss :yahoo:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're going to have an awfully hard time getting into the mix for that. Despite their recent play, they're still up on Buffalo and Edmonton by 16 points. Which is better than 50% of the total for those teams.

Edmonton has a game in hand, but I'm chalking that up as a loss :yahoo:

McDavid/Eichel is a reach. But getting into the bottom 5 would put them in the running for Hanifin or Dylan Strome, either of which could be a franchise-changer in their own right.

Carolina is playing much better since Jordan Staal came back (6-3-1 in their past ten) and might be able to rise a few spots. Phoenix is probably buried down there with Edmonton and Buffalo, and my guess is NJ begins dismantling shortly as well. It's possible, but the Leafs need to keep losing and eventually need to trade what they can in-season for picks.

If the current standard of play continues, it'll be the best thing to happen to this franchise since the Sundin trade.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McDavid/Eichel is a reach. But getting into the bottom 5 would put them in the running for Hanifin or Dylan Strome, either of which could be a franchise-changer in their own right.

Carolina is playing much better since Jordan Staal came back (6-3-1 in their past ten) and might be able to rise a few spots. Phoenix is probably buried down there with Edmonton and Buffalo, and my guess is NJ begins dismantling shortly as well. It's possible, but the Leafs need to keep losing and eventually need to trade what they can in-season for picks.

If the current standard of play continues, it'll be the best thing to happen to this franchise since the Sundin trade.

Yeah, as it stands I'd expect Toronto to drop a few more spots, probably finishing somewhere in the 23rd-25th overall range. With some amazing lottery luck they'd still have a chance at McDavid, but the odds wouldn't be in their favo(u)r.

I think blowing it up really is the best thing Toronto can do. Unfortunately, they should have gone into full rebuild in the offseason, which would would have put them square in the McDavid sweeps.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, as it stands I'd expect Toronto to drop a few more spots, probably finishing somewhere in the 23rd-25th overall range. With some amazing lottery luck they'd still have a chance at McDavid, but the odds wouldn't be in their favo(u)r.

I think blowing it up really is the best thing Toronto can do. Unfortunately, they should have gone into full rebuild in the offseason, which would would have put them square in the McDavid sweeps.

My guess is they wanted to build back some players' value after the collapse. About that...

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heh

Last edited by a moderator:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is they wanted to build back some players' value after the collapse. About that...

Paraphrasing from Major League:
That assumes some of these guys actually had any value in the first place.

I've never heard of half of these guys and the ones I do know are way past their prime.

Most of these guys never had a prime.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you have to go all the way back to 1929 for the last time the Leafs scored two goals over a five game stretch.

10431530_665520616891454_1697791547106596958_n.jpg

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He'll definitely get claimed, wonder if the Flyers put a claim in with all the injuries right now

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Dirty is what Carcillo pulled. It's nasty unnecessary and stupid. It's also cheap.

Reckless/dangerous is more of a Garbut/Marchand type of play; a slewfoot or a hit that is close to boards. Something that could end a career.

Combine the two and you have pretty much encapsulated Matt Cooke's career.

See, a slewfoot to me is like a combo of everything. Reckless, dirty, despicable, etc.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, a slewfoot to me is like a combo of everything. Reckless, dirty, despicable, etc.

to me ... reckless doesnt have an intent to injure element ... just a stupid player making a stupid choice ... like sticking out a chicken wing because you want to get a piece of an opposition player when youre flat footed and hes going up ice the other way ... for that reason a slewfoot imo isnt reckless ... its just plain dirty :noidea:

Status
Not open for further replies.