• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread - Part Brock and Roll Four Lines

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruins could trade Jake DeBrusk to the Flames for a 2nd round draft pick and wham bam boom, they're cap compliant.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I went to capfriendly to see how those shenanigans play out and...

UGLY. Only 5 forwards signed for 2023
Good thing they're planning to steal some of next year's cap hit with bonus overages too.

I for one am absolutely heartbroken to hear of the B's cap troubles :rolleyes2:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeremy Jacobs
The Wirtz family
Pegula
Melnyk
The Katz family

I'm gonna go with "no".
Those are all guys who've been around for quite some time though. Throwing out old problems isn't the NHL's way of doing things but inviting in new ones can be avoided.

You attract a lot more shitty press when you bring in a new guy who's already a problem. Just a few shades off of selling a franchise to Donald Sterling today with Haslam.

For starters, I don't think any of the Canadian reps on the BOG could vote for him and get away clean. There's just way too much blowback potential.

You then have to go market by market. Look at FSG, Leonsis, Dolan, Harris, Vinik, the Hollywood group that owns the Kraken, Comcast etc. and tell me the bad press wouldn't be enough to scare them off giving their approval. You need 75% BOG approval to transfer ownership of a franchise, I think there's a real chance they can't get that.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea why Boston kept Lindholm at such a high cap hit but if shit falls apart this season (which, by appearances, they definitely should) they can just trade Pasta, Nose, DeBrusk and Carlo and maybe Hall & Coyle if they aren't dogshit and rebuild pretty fast around McAvoy. Team should still be in the playoff hunt at worst.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are all guys who've been around for quite some time though. Throwing out old problems isn't the NHL's way of doing things but inviting in new ones can be avoided.

You attract a lot more shitty press when you bring in a new guy who's already a problem. Just a few shades off of selling a franchise to Donald Sterling today with Haslam.

For starters, I don't think any of the Canadian reps on the BOG could vote for him and get away clean. There's just way too much blowback potential.

You then have to go market by market. Look at FSG, Leonsis, Dolan, Harris, Vinik, the Hollywood group that owns the Kraken, Comcast etc. and tell me the bad press wouldn't be enough to scare them off giving their approval. You need 75% BOG approval to transfer ownership of a franchise, I think there's a real chance they can't get that.
When the chips are really down, do you think that many of the owners really care that much?

No doubt there are a handful across the leagues that have put their money where their mouth is, and I know the NHL isn't the same as the NFL ($2B+ vs "only" a few hundred million being a big part of that), but when owners keep showing willingness to sign players like Deshaun Watson to huge contracts, I guess I just don't have enough faith in humanity that they'd do anything to stop Haslam if he's got the $.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the chips are really down, do you think that many of the owners really care that much?

I think Evander Kane getting snapped up by the Oil after the Sharks terminated his contract (and re-signed by Edmonton) answers that question.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No doubt there are a handful across the leagues that have put their money where their mouth is, and I know the NHL isn't the same as the NFL ($2B+ vs "only" a few hundred million being a big part of that), but when owners keep showing willingness to sign players like Deshaun Watson to huge contracts, I guess I just don't have enough faith in humanity that they'd do anything to stop Haslam if he's got the $.
The ones I mentioned, I would be stunned if they didn’t. You only need 9 to vote against, the Canadian teams plus Seattle (principal is a big time Democrat donor) and Harris does him in. Even if a Canadian team or two commits suicide by backing him (looking at you, Alberta) it would only take someone like Leonsis or FSG to step in and kill it.

If it needed 50% I’d probably agree with you but as it stands I think a pressure campaign will kill it.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what JT Miller is actually worth but I wouldn't do either of those Leaf trades for one year of him. Leafs might legit suck in 2024 (fuck they might suck already) so an unprotected 2024 first is a no-go. Also I trade Niemela if the return is Victor Hedman, no less. Nobody trades their top prospect for a rental.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ One of the most underrated all time greats.