• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Old School Fantasy Legends League

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Bandit

Hey Bandit Lefty Treff everyone...

1st let me be perfectly clear i am not against any decisions you guys have made and im fine with the rules you guys set forth for us

its now year 2 and i just wanted to bring up what i did to talk it out before we move along to far...

ive been away from the boards since posting that.. sorry about that Bandit------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok 1st--- we should have been down to 25 at seasons end and covid has us missing that i get that and that is clear

so now we all cut down to 25 again before we start this new season pretty clear no worries (by the way im at 26 with my last cut possibly being decided after this little chit chat-- i will certainly be on time)

so my understanding that a week before the draft in any season going forward we should be at 25

2nd-- I love the fact that around the draft we moved the max back to 30 and can carry that 30 until the designated cut day just before the new NFL Season kicks into gear--- this is clear also

3rd my question is why just before drafting we move up to 30 again..

if you guys feel that the actual NFL movement at this time can have an effect on certain players values and thus add /drops/waivers are needed leading into our Rookie Draft-- I certainly understand that yes the values of the players and our various perceptions do change

however --and this is where im trying to make my point.....

why not up the max only after completing Rookie Draft

thus move into the draft with all teams at 25 and we all use our various picks in turn until you reach your 30 players

you would be drafting rookies and free agents--

Im all for having a one week period before the draft to potentially add/drop via waiver and then by free agent but in doing so staying at 25

-- I just dont see the point in adding now and going above 25 and potentially taking a player away that some other team might have drafted----

let use the scenario where i have only a 4th and 5th---- well i know at that time im only getting vets left behind certainly not a good rookie

well i could add 5 vets that i like before the draft and as the draft hits hold them and not use my 4th and 5th

im pretty certain that other managers may very well have drafted 1 or even 2 of the guys im holding before my pick comes up in the 4th..

i know i know maybe not the best but it certainly can happen.. and i dont think i or anyone should be able to do that...

again im fine im just bringing it up

I love the 30 man team from draft night until the NFL season starts it allows time for decisions and certainly helps facilitate any potential trades

------------------------------------

so for now if we do go to 30 before the draft let me just add this and ill use the quote to ask

so after going to 30 before the draft doesnt this tell me that we need to be back to 27 again before drafting

for as to have room for the 1st 3 picks we need be at 27 again...

did i miss something here...

again sorry Bandit -- i hope no one takes my inquires out of context im thrilled to be here...

i do know a couple of guys did hit my original post with bulls eyes so maybe we should talk a wee bit about it...

Thanks.....
Well, yes, the point was to get everything back to the original 25 man limit. Honestly, we dropped the ball not mandating that right after the season. So doing it now, does seem like some rollercoastering, but has to be done, just to get back to where it's supposed to be. Perhaps if we had been on top of it back in Jan/Feb, it wouldn't seem like such a quick changing up and down??

Secondly, going up to a 30 max the week before the draft, doesn't mean you have to do anything. You can stay at 25. If you know your going to draft 3, add up to 27. If you know you're drafting 3, but maybe might want a 4th or a 5th, go up to 27, and if you get to that 4th pick and want to use it, just find someone to drop, and use it. If you want to use some, or all of your taxi squad 5 man allotment on veterans, go for it. If you wanna drop a guy you have and add a vet, staying at 25, maintaining those five openings for the draft, that's always an option as well. If you have no interest in the vets available, stay at 25 and you use the 5 spots in the draft. None of the for instances or hypotheticals really make any difference because it's your team, your flexibility to do what you choose with it. This setup let's you do almost whatever you want, have fun with it.

We would love to put an actual number you have to be at on your roster the day of the draft, but given trades, flow of the draft, it's just impossible to put a "fair" number to it, AND maintain the ability for that flexibility, for that shot at turning someone's trash into your treasure. Ideally, we would LOVE for everyone to leave enough spots open to fill however many picks you have in the first three rounds, but drop and draft is eventually going to come into play, so we'll just deal with it as needed.
All that really matters is, regardless of how many FA's you add, how many draft picks you intend to use, however many you end up using, you never can go over 30..if that means drop and draft with you first pick, or your 7th pick, great, doesn't matter. There's 3 of us, we can stay on top of it. Don't overthink the why..just focus on 5 spots to fill, with multiple options to fill them.

But the decision has been made, it's not an 'if' at this point, it's how we're set up to proceed. If it's a disaster, and y'all hate it, and it was more confusing than it's worth, we'll certainly listen and adjust accordingly. It is what it is, for this season though. Give it a shot, the benefits might become clear, and you may love it.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I came into thassuming a few things, and got what you get when you do that

Absolutely no complaints when I say that. I like the roster requirement periods fluxuating. Especially long term. Big on aiding the cause of rebuilding teams over 1970’s UCLA first world problems.

if you know what I mean. Lol

But there are things that are new and scary, which is surprising for a guy that been at this for a majority of his life. And that’s cool, cuz it’s not easy to surprise me in fantasy.

Just really want to add that when stuff is tinkered with heading down the road. Cuz it will be. Let’s try and keep a full off season in mind for the adjustments.

This being the first partial, so I’m cool with everything that just is.

Thanks for reading. And for sending trade requests that I’m most likely not going to be big on until the rosters re-expanded and college kids have job locations. Lol

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely no complaints when I say that. I like the roster requirement periods fluxuating. Especially long term. Big on aiding the cause of rebuilding teams over 1970’s UCLA first world problems.

But there are things that are new and scary, which is surprising for a guy that been at this for a majority of his life. And that’s cool, cuz it’s not easy to surprise me in fantasy.

Just really want to add that when stuff is tinkered with heading down the road. Cuz it will be. Let’s try and keep a full off season in mind for the adjustments.

Thanks for reading. And for sending trade requests that I’m most likely not going to be big on until the rosters re-expanded and college kids have job locations. Lol
Yes, by all means bring concerns up. We're all open for discussion, and like you said, those discussions should be had over a full offseason with plenty of time to discuss and consider, then implement.
As we sit today, we just wanna go with the initial setup, and not be tweaking things on the fly, especially a week before they'd take affect.
We're setup as a 3 man dictatorship, but all 3 of us are well aware we don't have all the answers and may not always know best, we'll always look to improve anything we can.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes it made it even more difficult that the COVID season was our first year with this league. It was much easier in the dynasty leagues that had already established a routine so everybody knew what to expect. And it's completely our fault for not making everybody cut to 25 when the new year started back in January. I think we were all just so shocked that the season was able to be completed that we forgot about everything else. In a normal season we will cut to 25 on Labor Day and that will be the roster limit for the entire season other than you can have 3 on IR. When the season is over all of the players will be removed from IR and you will have to cut back to 25 again if you have more than that. Then the waiver/free agency period will be the week after the NFL draft and the rosters will expand to 30 until Labor Day again. I think everybody will see that the waiver/free agency period isn't nearly as big of a deal as you think it might be. Last year in my league there wasn't one player picked up during that period that made a difference. The biggest value guy was probably Gronk but he ended up sucking the whole year until the playoffs. A few years ago it was Marshawn Lynch coming out of retirement, but then he sucked too. It will be an interesting strategy as to whether people think putting in for a player is worth losing their waiver spot. I know that I have the #1 waiver spot in 2 leagues and I will have to seriously consider whether it's worth it to use it or not now as opposed to holding on to it until the season starts.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiver order:
Treff
Bandit
Monkey
Bar
SamWil
Smitty
Fuzzy
Face
TKO
Stomp
Harold
Lefty

Does the site have it correct? Or is there some shuffling to be had? Just curious.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiver order:
Treff
Bandit
Monkey
Bar
SamWil
Smitty
Fuzzy
Face
TKO
Stomp
Harold
Lefty

Does the site have it correct? Or is there some shuffling to be had? Just curious.
Tbh, the only spot I'm %100 certain is correct is mine. Having had the last pick in the startup draft, and not claiming anyone all year long, I'm still sitting on #1.

But I'll certainly verify all the rest when I get a chance, unless Bandit or Lefty beat me to it.

Speaking of that #1 claim spot...if anyone wants to talk trade of me claiming a dude of your choosing and swapping a draft pick..I'm all ears.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tbh, the only spot I'm %100 certain is correct is mine. Having had the last pick in the startup draft, and not claiming anyone all year long, I'm still sitting on #1.

But I'll certainly verify all the rest when I get a chance, unless Bandit or Lefty beat me to it.

Speaking of that #1 claim spot...if anyone wants to talk trade of me claiming a dude of your choosing and swapping a draft pick..I'm all ears.

Pretty sure that's accurate, I know I was near the top few waiver spots in all of my dynasty leagues at the end of last season

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiver order:
Treff
Bandit
Monkey
Bar
SamWil
Smitty
Fuzzy
Face
TKO
Stomp
Harold
Lefty

It is 100% accurate. I transferred it over from last year when I set up the new year.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lefty - as the bottom-feeder. .... think it's that way in every league. Gotta learn to hold back but those damn west coast guys are still awake when the waiver period ends. .... oh, and Bandit too.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great job with all the explanation/breakdowns

Thanks Bandit Treff Lefty...

Barilko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to pass on that as I don't have interest in the player you purposed.
i get that... do ya see any of a similar vein... who knows ...thanks anyhow....

ps if your draft grabs work out you will be looking awesome.....

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i get that... do ya see any of a similar vein... who knows ...thanks anyhow....

ps if your draft grabs work out you will be looking awesome.....
My roster is kind of lacking right now, so I really need my draft to work out to have a chance. I took a look at your trade block, but that didn't give much guidance on what you might be looking for or had in mind. Looking forward to the NFL draft, should ( hopefully) give some clarity on grading the players available.

Barilko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My roster is kind of lacking right now, so I really need my draft to work out to have a chance. I took a look at your trade block, but that didn't give much guidance on what you might be looking for or had in mind. Looking forward to the NFL draft, should ( hopefully) give some clarity on grading the players available.
basically any 1-1 involving players from the same position that has you thinking the pick change is worth it and has me thinking the player switch doesnt have me losing more than i think the pick upgrade is worth..

if that makes any sense and ya have any ideas we will move to PM

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what you have in mind so I'll PM you.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it made it even more difficult that the COVID season was our first year with this league. It was much easier in the dynasty leagues that had already established a routine so everybody knew what to expect. And it's completely our fault for not making everybody cut to 25 when the new year started back in January. I think we were all just so shocked that the season was able to be completed that we forgot about everything else. In a normal season we will cut to 25 on Labor Day and that will be the roster limit for the entire season other than you can have 3 on IR. When the season is over all of the players will be removed from IR and you will have to cut back to 25 again if you have more than that. Then the waiver/free agency period will be the week after the NFL draft and the rosters will expand to 30 until Labor Day again. I think everybody will see that the waiver/free agency period isn't nearly as big of a deal as you think it might be. Last year in my league there wasn't one player picked up during that period that made a difference. The biggest value guy was probably Gronk but he ended up sucking the whole year until the playoffs. A few years ago it was Marshawn Lynch coming out of retirement, but then he sucked too. It will be an interesting strategy as to whether people think putting in for a player is worth losing their waiver spot. I know that I have the #1 waiver spot in 2 leagues and I will have to seriously consider whether it's worth it to use it or not now as opposed to holding on to it until the season starts.
So in a nutshell:
Roster is 25 until draft.
Roster is 30 until Labor Day.
Roster is 25 fer the season plus 3 IR spots.