• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Old School Fantasy Legends League

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft Order

#1 pick Barilko
#2 pick Smitty
#3 pick Sam & Wil
#4 pick Lefty

No traded first round picks for any of these guys. That's boring. LOL.
I knew going into the season that I'd have at least a mid-1st pick so it wasn't anything I was looking to do. ..... though I would swap with @Barilko

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright guys it's the time of year for playoff and draft pick scenarios and here is where we stand right now:

#1 seed Monkey 9-3 and 1994.3 points and already clinched the Big BENders division but hasn't clinched a bye yet
#2 seed Treff 9-3 and 1929.98 points and clinched a playoff spot but also only tied for the division lead in the Circle the Wagon Division with Harold so that's not over yet.
#3 seed Femurov 8-4 and a two game lead in the Barry's Better than Emmitt division but hasn't clinched the division or a playoff spot yet. He would have to lose both games and either Fuzzy or I would need to win both games and keep our points lead over him to win the division and then he could still be outpointed for the last wild card spot.

#4 seed Harold 9-3 and already clinched a playoff spot, it's just a matter of whether he wins the division or ends up a wild card
#5 seed TKO 7-5 and the only 7-5 team but only has 1570 points so he's going to have to qualify in record
#6 seed Face 6-6 and 1815 points
#7 seed Bandit 6-6 and 1799.34 points
#8 seed Fuzzy 6-6 and 1776.72 points

#9 seed Lefty 5-7 and 1654.78 points eliminated from playoff contention
#10 seed Sam & Wil 4-8 and 1423.34 points and eliminated from playoff contention
#11 seed Smitty 1-11 and 1366.34 points and eliminated from playoff contention
#12 seed Barilko 2-10 and 1364.04 points and eliminated from playoff contention

Remember that the draft order goes by points for the non-playoff teams and not record. Face, Bandit, and Fuzzy are going to have a battle to the last play for the final playoff spot. Also remember that the punishment for the last place team is getting their team renamed by the league champion as often as they would like the entire off-season.

Draft Order

#1 pick Barilko
#2 pick Smitty
#3 pick Sam & Wil
#4 pick Lefty

No traded first round picks for any of these guys. That's boring. LOL.
Barilko and Smitty 2.3 points away from each other. Kinda sucks for them to get punished for putting their best team out there the next two weeks.

For next year, could we consider ranking the draft picks for non-playoff teams by Manager score (actual points/best ball points) over the final four weeks? Should be easier for a bad roster to get a higher percentage. That way you get rewarded for fielding your best team.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barilko and Smitty 2.3 points away from each other. Kinda sucks for them to get punished for putting their best team out there the next two weeks.

For next year, could we consider ranking the draft picks for non-playoff teams by Manager score (actual points/best ball points) over the final four weeks? Should be easier for a bad roster to get a higher percentage. That way you get rewarded for fielding your best team.
Something we can certainly consider.

Always a tough call, and I'll always want to side with trusting owners to field their best teams regardless of how its all decided, yet sometimes you've gotta hedge that a bit too.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
field their best teams regardless of how its all decided
Yeah, but there's not a lot of joy in it. Slipping past somebody for the #1 pick because you sussed out the right play, though... that could be fun.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Always a tough call, and I'll always want to side with trusting owners to field their best teams regardless of how its all decided, yet sometimes you've gotta hedge that a bit too.
Well, I think that's why Bandit put the 'last place team named by winner' clause in the mix. Who wants that ? We all have some pride - brought to you by the guy who named his team Scrappy. ....

Clemson74

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you’re playing a team in playoff contention then you should field your best team to maintain the integrity of the league. Otherwise, you paid your money the same as I did, so you manage your team how you see fit.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you’re playing a team in playoff contention then you should field your best team to maintain the integrity of the league. Otherwise, you paid your money the same as I did, so you manage your team how you see fit.
And that's the other side I definitely see too. $ on the line? All is fair game. Bragging rights? Everything above the belt, at all times

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel everyone should try to put forth the best lineup. I'm in a league where one owner started sandbagging last year he said the same thing about managing his team but said he would stop after someone quit the league over it. He started sandbagging again this year ( he wasn't even claiming any different) and now we got 4 teams (maybe more this week) in full sandbag mode the last few weeks. Does that make for a fun league? I don't think so. Be my last year in that league unless they remove the owner that got this started and that's a shame because that league has trades and trade offers flying around weekly and I like that. The thing about sandbagging is that it can really help your draft stock....until others join in. I happen to own the pick of the team that is 2-10 tied for the worse record and the sandbagger is tied at 3-9 with another team there is one team at 4-8 that likely joins in this week. The league has become a joke.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I think it makes sense to align the goals of competitive lineups and high draft picks, while still making it more likely that poorer teams get higher picks.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could institute the same rule I have in my dynasty that if the first three picks are all still owned by those teams then we do a lottery for the bottom 3 teams to see who gets the first pick. Of course in my league the top three picks have never still had their draft picks and won’t again next year. Although in this league I have a hard time believing that lineups won’t be set appropriately.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough to monitor/enforce, especially in dynasty

Recent example:
Bandit league last week, I'd wager the majority of folks on these boards would've started Rachaad White over Garrett Wilson in my flex spot after Fournette was ruled out, and they would've been wrong. I actually had White in over Wilson for a moment cause I didn't want folks to think I was throwing the match to jockey for better draft spot, just liked Wilson ceiling with any other QB playing

Moral of the story - just cause you don't think it looks right doesn't mean that it isn't right. If you want to be in a league without managerial decisions, Best Ball is a fun format

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually had White in over Wilson for a moment cause I didn't want folks to think I was throwing the match to jockey for better draft spot
That doesn’t sound like any fun at all.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn’t sound like any fun at all.

Made some moves to shed vets for some extra 2nd rd picks and younger guys I liked. Well now some of the young guys are getting more playing time, whether due to injury in front of them or their teams giving them more snaps/touches, and its really making me 2nd guess a lot of my lineup choices.

Think I need to commit to the youth movement and get these guys familiar with preforming in my fantasy lineup

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough to monitor/enforce, especially in dynasty

Recent example:
Bandit league last week, I'd wager the majority of folks on these boards would've started Rachaad White over Garrett Wilson in my flex spot after Fournette was ruled out, and they would've been wrong. I actually had White in over Wilson for a moment cause I didn't want folks to think I was throwing the match to jockey for better draft spot, just liked Wilson ceiling with any other QB playing

Moral of the story - just cause you don't think it looks right doesn't mean that it isn't right. If you want to be in a league without managerial decisions, Best Ball is a fun format
As a commissioner, you really can't enforce anything other than require that active players are in every spot because you can't even attempt to get into setting people's lineup or requiring that guys be put in the lineup. I benched Alvin Kamara for Keenan Allen and Antonio Gibson last week and it was the right call. If somebody wanted to start Mike White over Lamar Jackson they would have been a genius last week, but could be an idiot this week. As far as I'm concerned, as long as there isn't guys in their lineup that are on a bye, injured, inactive, or obvious backup quarterbacks (like starting Case Keenum when Josh Allen is active) then there's really nothing I can do as a commissioner.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a commissioner, you really can't enforce anything other than require that active players are in every spot because you can't even attempt to get into setting people's lineup or requiring that guys be put in the lineup. I benched Alvin Kamara for Keenan Allen and Antonio Gibson last week and it was the right call. If somebody wanted to start Mike White over Lamar Jackson they would have been a genius last week, but could be an idiot this week. As far as I'm concerned, as long as there isn't guys in their lineup that are on a bye, injured, inactive, or obvious backup quarterbacks (like starting Case Keenum when Josh Allen is active) then there's really nothing I can do as a commissioner.
My point was to make it more engaging for bottom dwellers (since I've had a lot of time there to think about it). And to eliminate the notion of tanking entirely.

For example this week @broncosmitty plays us, and that has no effect on the integrity of the playoffs. He could reasonably tank and it would be "fine."

But @Barilko, who's essentially tied with Smitty for the #1 pick, plays Treff with top seeding on the line, so he should make a fight of it (and I'm sure he will).

My proposal (starting next year):
  • For non-playoff teams, calculate "manager score" for weeks 11-14. Manager score would be: actual points / maximum possible points
  • Picks go by manager score. Highest manager score picks first, lowest picks sixth.
That way Smitty and I would be busy trying to maximize our lineups in an otherwise meaningless game, and Bar would maximize his lineup in an important game for the league without it hurting his draft status.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • For non-playoff teams, calculate "manager score" for weeks 11-14. Manager score would be: actual points / maximum possible points
  • Picks go by manager score. Highest manager score picks first, lowest picks sixth.
That way Smitty and I would be busy trying to maximize our lineups in an otherwise meaningless game, and Bar would maximize his lineup in an important game for the league without it hurting his draft status.

interesting concept here...would you be willing to volunteer and run the numbers for this season to show what that would look like?

with it encompassing the 'non-playoff teams' there's 3-4 that we won't know their fate possibly up until the final week of the regular season.
if you cut a guy from your roster, does Fantrax still show that guy on your bench in past scoring weeks?

feel like you open a lot of additional work for the commish when trying to come up with a mathematical way vs H2H or total pts scored

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was to make it more engaging for bottom dwellers (since I've had a lot of time there to think about it). And to eliminate the notion of tanking entirely.

For example this week @broncosmitty plays us, and that has no effect on the integrity of the playoffs. He could reasonably tank and it would be "fine."

But @Barilko, who's essentially tied with Smitty for the #1 pick, plays Treff with top seeding on the line, so he should make a fight of it (and I'm sure he will).

I do like this idea. But just ftr, I’m always going to try and set my “best” lineup.

My “tanking” was trading my best RB once my playoff chances were all but out the window.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like this idea. But just ftr, I’m always going to try and set my “best” lineup.

My “tanking” was trading my best RB once my playoff chances were all but out the window.
Same here, in D1 I traded away my starting RBs and a rookie WR who was hot at the time for some 1st next season, but I continued to start the best lineup I could and now I'm 6-6 somehow with a rag-tag group of players. :pound:

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here, in D1 I traded away my starting RBs and a rookie WR who was hot at the time for some 1st next season, but I continued to start the best lineup I could and now I'm 6-6 somehow with a rag-tag group of players. :pound:
friggin weird how that works sometimes eh?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You almost were 7-5 too.

That rag tag group refuses to lay down. Lol

I’ve searched Fantrax, doesn’t look like manager scores are an option. Atleast for free. We get them on CBS in my money league, but we also pay.