• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Oklahoma Sooners vs Houston Cougars 7:30pm EST ABC

MVCgangster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but that’s not happening, as much as some might want it too. We don’t need a great defense, just one that doesn’t completely suck.

To win a national title you need a great defense.

If you watched OU-Alabama last year, that shouldve made you aware as to how far OU is from that. Iowa State has been getting better every year defensively and that’s why people are picking them over OU....2008, that was the last time OU had a pretty damn good defense that I can remember

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To win a national title you need a great defense.

If you watched OU-Alabama last year, that shouldve made you aware as to how far OU is from that. Iowa State has been getting better every year defensively and that’s why people are picking them over OU....2008, that was the last time OU had a pretty damn good defense that I can remember

Times have changed, just how it is. 2 years ago OU was the best team and had Georgia beat. If not for a rookie coaching mistake they win the title that year with a really bad defense. No one has the defense they used to. As for people picking Iowa state, umm I’ll leave that for others to discuss.

MVCgangster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Times have changed, just how it is. 2 years ago OU was the best team and had Georgia beat. If not for a rookie coaching mistake they win the title that year with a really bad defense. No one has the defense they used to. As for people picking Iowa state, umm I’ll leave that for others to discuss.

The reality is you got 60 points laid on you and lost, in the biggest game of the season. Last year, your opponents first 4 or 5 possessions were touchdowns and you also lost and were uncompetitive the entire game. That’s the reality

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reality is you got 60 points laid on you and lost, in the biggest game of the season. Last year, your opponents first 4 or 5 possessions were touchdowns and you also lost and were uncompetitive the entire game. That’s the reality

Only a true idiot thinks you have to give away offense to have a good enough defense, that’s the reality here.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jalen is really damn good against everyone that isn’t elite defensively. He had Huge games at Bama except when we would play Auburn,Georgia,LSU, or Clemson. Texas is the only team on their schedule that may give him a problem but he should torch everyone else.
Iowa State is salty on defense with 4 first team all Big Xii players defensively. So, there are two good teams defensively that he will face in the Big Xii. He's definitely not going for 508 against the Cyclones! That being said, he was a boss last night!

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense looked drastically better through 2.5 quarters. Not totally sure what happened after that except we rotated a ton of players in. I though we got back on track with that fourth down stop but then looked like shit again on the next drive. Overall, I’ll say there’s improvement but tons of room for growth. No reason we shouldn’t have held them under 25, but last years defense gives up 40 to them pretty easily
OU's defense was stout when it counted most. Once OU got out to the big lead, they were able to change the philosophy a bit and mix players in and out like you said. As an Iowa State fan, it was scary to watch.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU needs to slow their offense down to help the defense they will never have a really good defense with that type of offense
Alabama says "HI"! High powered offense + stout defense. If Alabama can do it, OU can too.

MVCgangster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama says "HI"! High powered offense + stout defense. If Alabama can do it, OU can too.

Clemson says hi. Bama’s teams they had back in 08-14 or so would’ve at least been competitive beyond one quarter. Before they changed offensive style

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad the Defense looked better. You could see it right away.
Lots to do though.

Nice starting point.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson says hi. Bama’s teams they had back in 08-14 or so would’ve at least been competitive beyond one quarter. Before they changed offensive style
Clemson clocked Alabama, no doubt about it. Alabama clocked them the year before. The point is that Alabama (and Clemson for that matter) have GREAT Offenses AND GREAT defenses. OU is capable of doing that too.

MVCgangster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson clocked Alabama, no doubt about it. Alabama clocked them the year before. The point is that Alabama (and Clemson for that matter) have GREAT Offenses AND GREAT defenses. OU is capable of doing that too.

Well, we’ve been hearing this “if only we had a defense” from
OU fans for 15 years straight. Funny how their offense scores more and more and gets all these great QBs and players yet they still end up falling short every time in the same exact fashion

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we’ve been hearing this “if only we had a defense” from
OU fans for 15 years straight. Funny how their offense scores more and more and gets all these great QBs and players yet they still end up falling short every time in the same exact fashion
I don't disagree. Their defense has been sub-par and not at a Championship level for a decade (as you previously mentioned). I'm just saying that they CAN do both. FWIW, I prefer OU with the "Ole" defense!

:thumb:

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great atmosphere at the game last night. Too tired to post when I got home. Anyways my daughter got a picture with Kyler and Spencer Rattler so that made her night. Very impressed with Jalen Hurts. You can see the impact that Riley has had on him. Also Haselwood is going to be a star.

Champ4Hearst5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great atmosphere at the game last night. Too tired to post when I got home. Anyways my daughter got a picture with Kyler and Spencer Rattler so that made her night. Very impressed with Jalen Hurts. You can see the impact that Riley has had on him. Also Haselwood is going to be a star.
That offense is perfect for Jalen. I think it will continue to bring out the best in him.

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I have not seen mentioned here is the O line. For four guys with zero starts between them ( Creed Humphry only had 12 starts last year), they seemed to do okay. Time for them to gel is a good thing. We will see how they stand up to a better defense though.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU better worry about S. Dakota first. Coyotes are thrilled to the max about playing OU. Not as solid as SDSU(who could beat OU) but still good and won’t be discouraged no matter how many you score on them. And of course Hurts struggles against LSU, UGA, Clemson...those teams are absolutely loaded. UGA, LSU, and Bama are not known for offense, despite the talent they field

Ok Corky.. settle down a bit bruh

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa State is salty on defense with 4 first team all Big Xii players defensively. So, there are two good teams defensively that he will face in the Big Xii. He's definitely not going for 508 against the Cyclones! That being said, he was a boss last night!

How many points did Northern Iowa score on that "vaunted" ISU D the other night?

ISU was incredibly lucky to have won that game, period, LOL!~

I'd be a bit worried if I were you...