• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Oklahoma Sooners vs Houston Cougars 7:30pm EST ABC

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as good as OBs who were #1 QBR and led #1 offenses the last 3 year? We have already seen the difference in Bama offense once they upgraded to an elite QB like Murray and Baker

Yeah, we lost to Clemson again.

Tua would shatter any record Mayfield or Murray had in the Oklahoma system...Oklahoma will be just fine offensively with Hurts. It might be time to give Lincoln his due.

Justin Fields is going to light up the board for Ohio State...still wouldn't beat out Fromm if he were back at Georgia.

dennis580

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Offense A-
Defense D-
Special Teams F

Not feeling good about this opener. Long ways to go.

Wow we must have watched totally different games. I was extremely impressed with the defense. The amount of penetration, and pressure we got was amazing. We was playing against a really great duel threat QB that would have humiliated us in previous years. Your really underselling just how great the defense play. Yea there was some breakdowns in the 2nd half, but thats to be expected in the 1st game this is the first time in a long time that I think we are legit National Championship contenders. There has been a MASSIVE improvement on the defense, and the things that need to be can be fixed.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we lost to Clemson again.

Tua would shatter any record Mayfield or Murray had in the Oklahoma system...Oklahoma will be just fine offensively with Hurts. It might be time to give Lincoln his due.

Justin Fields is going to light up the board for Ohio State...still wouldn't beat out Fromm if he were back at Georgia.

The only record Tua would shatter is coconut shucking.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I have "Heisman Fatigue Syndrome".

I didn't think that Hurts had THAT stellar of a game. Yeah, there are a lot of numbers...but this WAS Houston and, I hate to say it but....I thought Hurts was playing *gulp* hero ball?

He called his own number a few times more than I thought he should have.

He has yet to hit a deep route in stride and has a sloppy ball often. Poor hand-off assisted in a fumble. Missed some good gainers again by calling his own number.

The media are all on the Hurts hype train...I'll sit over here in the corner and cast a discerning eye. Not convinced that greatness is imminent but he may be the best we've got.

Put one in the W column.

Who's next?

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I have "Heisman Fatigue Syndrome".

I didn't think that Hurts had THAT stellar of a game. Yeah, there are a lot of numbers...but this WAS Houston and, I hate to say it but....I thought Hurts was playing *gulp* hero ball?

He called his own number a few times more than I thought he should have.

He has yet to hit a deep route in stride and has a sloppy ball often. Poor hand-off assisted in a fumble. Missed some good gainers again by calling his own number.

The media are all on the Hurts hype train...I'll sit over here in the corner and cast a discerning eye. Not convinced that greatness is imminent but he may be the best we've got.

Put one in the W column.

Who's next?

I'd expect him to hover around 5th on a lot of lists throughout the season.

Trevor Lawrence, Tua Tagovailoa and Jonathan Taylor should lead at least until we get a decent sampling of games.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow we must have watched totally different games. I was extremely impressed with the defense. The amount of penetration, and pressure we got was amazing. We was playing against a really great duel threat QB that would have humiliated us in previous years. Your really underselling just how great the defense play. Yea there was some breakdowns in the 2nd half, but thats to be expected in the 1st game this is the first time in a long time that I think we are legit National Championship contenders. There has been a MASSIVE improvement on the defense, and the things that need to be can be fixed.

Technically speaking a D- would be massive improvement.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense looked drastically better through 2.5 quarters. Not totally sure what happened after that except we rotated a ton of players in. I though we got back on track with that fourth down stop but then looked like shit again on the next drive. Overall, I’ll say there’s improvement but tons of room for growth. No reason we shouldn’t have held them under 25, but last years defense gives up 40 to them pretty easily

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ojb is young, dumb & wishes full of cum. :bounce:

if howard stern had an nice ass and put on some makeup, you'd wanna fuck him too, huh?

c'mere, i got somethin for ya
AngryThreadbareIndianpalmsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU needs to get rid of the stupid penalties. Cost them points.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not impressed with the defense. I was for the first quarter, but even in the second they were getting gashed before holding Houston to that field goal (this is not the Houston that beat Oklahoma in 2016. It's closer to the Houston that got beat by Army 70-14). The secondary was more impressive than I expected early, but it is inexcusable for a top 5 team to allow 241 rushing yards to a 5 loss G5 team (predicted to go 6-6 this year in the AAC).

That said, I really liked Jalen at the end, and he has me concerned about OU for the first time the past 5 years. Don't get me wrong, he is nowhere near Heisman quality, and is really only going to verify that anyone can get big yards in a good offense against G5 teams and a conference that doesn't understand what defense is (and part of that is on the Big 12 refs - they're so flag happy that defensive players can't play ball and train themselves to play soft and scared to avoid penalties).

But what I really liked was Jalen's post-game attitude. This was not an impressive win, despite what people will be telling him. Houston was the 127th defense last years in yards per game (and had 9 new players on tonight's team). They averaged allowing around 500 yards per game. Jalen played well, but he should when he plays all game against a defense significantly worse than many FCS teams. This is a similar team to the ones Oklahoma has put out the past few years. They could probably win the Big 12 without much improvement, but would get absolutely flattened by Alabama or Clemson. But that's why I was impressed with Jalen. They do have to get better. He's a champion, the first one Oklahoma's had in almost 20 years. He knows what it takes to reach the top of the mountain, and he knows Clemson, Alabama, and Georgia better than anyone else. He knows that last night's performance was nowhere near good enough, and will want to motivate his players to get better. The Sooners are a real threat now.

MVCgangster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU needs to slow their offense down to help the defense they will never have a really good defense with that type of offense

MVCgangster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not impressed with the defense. I was for the first quarter, but even in the second they were getting gashed before holding Houston to that field goal (this is not the Houston that beat Oklahoma in 2016. It's closer to the Houston that got beat by Army 70-14). The secondary was more impressive than I expected early, but it is inexcusable for a top 5 team to allow 241 rushing yards to a 5 loss G5 team (predicted to go 6-6 this year in the AAC).

That said, I really liked Jalen at the end, and he has me concerned about OU for the first time the past 5 years. Don't get me wrong, he is nowhere near Heisman quality, and is really only going to verify that anyone can get big yards in a good offense against G5 teams and a conference that doesn't understand what defense is (and part of that is on the Big 12 refs - they're so flag happy that defensive players can't play ball and train themselves to play soft and scared to avoid penalties).

But what I really liked was Jalen's post-game attitude. This was not an impressive win, despite what people will be telling him. Houston was the 127th defense last years in yards per game (and had 9 new players on tonight's team). They averaged allowing around 500 yards per game. Jalen played well, but he should when he plays all game against a defense significantly worse than many FCS teams. This is a similar team to the ones Oklahoma has put out the past few years. They could probably win the Big 12 without much improvement, but would get absolutely flattened by Alabama or Clemson. But that's why I was impressed with Jalen. They do have to get better. He's a champion, the first one Oklahoma's had in almost 20 years. He knows what it takes to reach the top of the mountain, and he knows Clemson, Alabama, and Georgia better than anyone else. He knows that last night's performance was nowhere near good enough, and will want to motivate his players to get better. The Sooners are a real threat now.

Houston is a lot better than what you give them credit for. They run the same offense as OU practically so their defense looks like shit if you’re going by stats. Yea they got fucking owned by Army but remember Army took OU into overtime. Army’s offense is polar opposite to what Houston and OU run. One of the main purposes teams run the triple option offense is because it benefits their defense, up tempo offenses harm have negative effect on your defense.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jalen is really damn good against everyone that isn’t elite defensively. He had Huge games at Bama except when we would play Auburn,Georgia,LSU, or Clemson. Texas is the only team on their schedule that may give him a problem but he should torch everyone else.

MVCgangster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jalen is really damn good against everyone that isn’t elite defensively. He had Huge games at Bama except when we would play Auburn,Georgia,LSU, or Clemson. Texas is the only team on their schedule that may give him a problem but he should torch everyone else.

OU better worry about S. Dakota first. Coyotes are thrilled to the max about playing OU. Not as solid as SDSU(who could beat OU) but still good and won’t be discouraged no matter how many you score on them. And of course Hurts struggles against LSU, UGA, Clemson...those teams are absolutely loaded. UGA, LSU, and Bama are not known for offense, despite the talent they field

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU needs to slow their offense down to help the defense they will never have a really good defense with that type of offense

Sorry but that’s not happening, as much as some might want it too. We don’t need a great defense, just one that doesn’t completely suck.