• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oklahoma and Texas to the Big 10?

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU is determined never to leave the Big XII. I'd be amazed at this point if they ever left, even if Texas went independent.

Panthera tigris Bob

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU is determined never to leave the Big XII. I'd be amazed at this point if they ever left, even if Texas went independent.

OU will do what Texas decides to do.

Ya are two peas in the same pod, always have been, always will be.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU will do what Texas decides to do.

Ya are two peas in the same pod, always have been, always will be.

No. OU will play Texas. No matter what they decide to do. They have been in the same conference only 14 years yet some act as if its been 140. :L

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure the Big Ten would love to have Texas, and the university would benefit from joining the B1G (research and all that). But alums probably wouldn't stand or it and neither would the TX state legislature.

Oklahoma doesn't meet academic standards (not even close), but I guess the B1G made an exception for Nebraska.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. OU will play Texas. No matter what they decide to do. They have been in the same conference only 14 years yet some act as if its been 140. :L

Wrong. OU was a founding member of the SWC. Only 4 years and then they left.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... and Texas isn't changing conferences. Dumbest thing Dodds ever said was "... Texas would be proactive ..." when it came to conference realignments.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. OU was a founding member of the SWC. Only 4 years and then they left.

Whenever a team considers a move or actually moves, it is the hope/prospect of bigger better things. And yes, money bis the primary driver.

yourTEAMreallySUCKS

Sooner, Cock, Rise Up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would suck to be in big ten. Would chose PAC, SEC, and even ACC over big ten, although it would be fun to play Nebraska again on a regular basis.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HuskerOC

This is only my perception from a college football fan and how realignment CAN negatively impact teams if not the right fit. I think Nebraska made the biggest mistake when it moved to the B1G. They lost their connection to good rivalries (OU, Texas). I couldn't wait for the Nebraska-OU game. Classics! Now Nebraska has NO rivalries and to me has kind of lost its identity in the B1G. I don't mean lost by no direction, I mean lost from other fans perceptions. Unless Nebraska can become the Ohio St of the conference and be, The Name, Nebraska, sorry to say it, is just another team to me when they use to be considered one of the top tier teams. It's like they started over and now have to prove themselves again. I'm saying this is my perception. I have no clue if other fans feel Nebraska got lost when they went to the B1G.

Yes, Nebraska has made more money but I'll bet you anything the majority of the fans wish they were still in the Big 12. You might too if truth be told! I just don't see OU or Texas following in those footsteps.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no benefit whatsoever for TEXAS to join the Big 10.

It already makes enough money, so the usual attraction of the Big 10 ($$$$ for most poor teams like Md) is actually a pay cut for Texas.

There is no great recruiting angles to be exploited.

The CIC academic group is very nice, but Texas has maintained impeccable academic standards in a conference of relatively mediocre academic partners. Thanks to lucky oil money, Texas has an endowment that probably rivals the CIC schools combined.

The only conference Texas would ever consider is the PAC-12.

The recruiting marriage of Texas/California adds an intrigue that they would consider

ANd Austin is essentially a west coast city more and more everyday.

It is about 900 miles east of where it culturally belongs.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

The B1G will expand on the East Coast if they so choose to add teams.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It already makes enough money, so the usual attraction of the Big 10 ($$$$ for most poor teams like Md) is actually a pay cut for Texas.

The CIC academic group is very nice, but Texas has maintained impeccable academic standards in a conference of relatively mediocre academic partners. Thanks to lucky oil money, Texas has an endowment that probably rivals the CIC schools combined.

The recruiting marriage of Texas/California adds an intrigue that they would consider

It is very artsy and liberal!

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is very artsy and liberal!

Yes, but these west coasters call it Cultured and Progressive... Got to take the good with the bad I spose. Love the outdoors here. But I cant stand that type of BS. Drive me CRAZY! I think I am ine of 5 people that tends to lean righ in my town... HAHA! exaggeration, but prolly not by much.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would suck to be in big ten. Would chose PAC, SEC, and even ACC over big ten, although it would be fun to play Nebraska again on a regular basis.

Hey yourteam, is that a pic of the grounds at Boone Hall plantation? Looks awfuly familiar.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure the Big Ten would love to have Texas, and the university would benefit from joining the B1G (research and all that). But alums probably wouldn't stand or it and neither would the TX state legislature.

Oklahoma doesn't meet academic standards (not even close), but I guess the B1G made an exception for Nebraska.

Yeah, yeah. Keep hearing that but OU has a leading school in meteorology (NSL started at OU), geology, petroleum land management, and a leading cancer research center. What we don't have is a bunch of elitists who can't see the difference between most schools is so thin it doesn't really matter which school you go to. The CIC is an institution founded by the Big 10 in 1958, so what? It was just a way for Big 10 schools to act like they were academically better than other conference schools. In reality it means nothing. And don't list US News rankings which are based more on endowments than actual academic excellence.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska would have to find another conference to tuck tail and run off to.

The Big 12 is alive and well. Truly hoping we can bring in 2 more teams and put all the talk to rest. Clemson, FSU, Louisville, etc...

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude?

Are you gumps that thrown off the trail by a simple typo?

:lol:

In case you didn't know, the AAC is a new conference this coming year that is replacing the Big East.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU's primary recruiting base is in Oklahoma/Texas.

We dabble from NorCal to Miami beach, rarely if ever pursuing much in the B1G footprint.

The PAC is highly unlikely short of a 4 team package from the BIG XII anchoring an eastern division of a 16 team PAC, the B1G isn't theoretically possible....and we've already got our home/home w/Neb. penciled in.

An Arkansas/LSU/Missouri/A&M to the BIG XII is more likely to happen than OU or TEX going north.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Excellent assessment HornsStampede. The main reason why all of this will never happen is b/c Texas would have to take a major paycut to join the B1G, and that ain't going to happen. Aside from having the wealthiest endowment of any public school in the country, Texas also rakes in around $700M in research dollars, which is only 2nd to MIT, in terms of schools without a medical school, so the CIC is really more of an attraction for small schools like Rutgers and MD, who would benefit from what the B1G offers. Plus, I don't think tOSU would really want to share the limelight with Texas and OU.