• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ok I don't want the best offense or top scoring offense

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been proven time and time again that the league top offensive teams don't win Super Bowls. And a great defense always wins against great offenses in Super Bowls.... U need balance and defense.

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed

Another proof of the adage - "Offense wins games; Defense wins championships"

That was total domination by the Seahawks and their offense had an average game if you look at the stats. But their offense converted on 3rd downs and did grinding workmanlike drives to keep Manning off the field

And when Manning did get on the field he couldn't get into that much of a rhythm because of the Seahawks defense. I loved it - I like watching good defenses and then on top of that the darling Broncos were smashed down.

After that demolition I think the Mile High city deflated to sea level

Anyways Kelly and coaches should take note of the Seahawks defense and realize that they better work on the Eagles defense this off season

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed

Another proof of the adage - "Offense wins games; Defense wins championships"

That was total domination by the Seahawks and their offense had an average game if you look at the stats. But their offense converted on 3rd downs and did grinding workmanlike drives to keep Manning off the field

And when Manning did get on the field he couldn't get into that much of a rhythm because of the Seahawks defense. I loved it - I like watching good defenses and then on top of that the darling Broncos were smashed down.

After that demolition I think the Mile High city deflated to sea level

Anyways Kelly and coaches should take note of the Seahawks defense and realize that they better work on the Eagles defense this off season

Yep they need to really improve the defense - even though they played well considering who they had this season, they still need to make some improvements for sure

But I can't wait to see what this team has up their sleeves

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep they need to really improve the defense - even though they played well considering who they had this season, they still need to make some improvements for sure

But I can't wait to see what this team has up their sleeves

Agreed, being an Eagle fan stuck in the northwest and having to listen to these fans for a whole offseason now I will be very vocal as to the Eagles getting there title.....

SickFelonIsGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should hope that offensive teams get their act together, because we are long away from having that type of defense and may never have it, so we got to win with what we got.

(Un)

Naturally Striped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Historically yes, when a dominant defense meets a dominant offense, it is advantage defense.

However, if you look at the last eight Super Bowl champs, the Seattle Seahawks were the exception rather than the rule.

Super Bowl 41, 2006 Indianapolis Colts - #23 points allowed, #21 yards allowed
Super Bowl 42, 2007 New York Giants - #17 points allowed, #7 yards allowed
Super Bowl 43, 2008 Pittsburgh Steelers - #1 points allowed, #1 yards allowed
Super Bowl 44, 2009 New Orleans Saints - #20 points allowed, #25 yards alllowed
Super Bowl 45, 2010 Green Bay Packers - #2 points allowed, #5 yards allowed
Super Bowl 46, 2011 New York Giants - #25 points allowed, #27 yards allowed
Super Bowl 47, 2012 Baltimore Ravens - #12 points allowed, #17 yards allowed
Super Bowl 48, 2013 Seattle Seahawks - #1 points allowed, #1 yards allowed

When you consider that through the first 40 Super Bowls, no winner ranked worse than #13 in points allowed (1983 Los Angeles Raiders), and 37 of those 40 champs ranked within the top 8, that is a major bucking of the trend.

And I believe it's directly correlated to Roger Goodell's offense-happy rule changes.

In the present day NFL you can win a championship without a dominant defense. It's been proven by 5 of the last 8 Super Bowl winners. But the defense does need to show up in the big game (i.e. 2007 Giants).

Philadelphia is not going to have a #1 defense under Chip Kelly. But we could have something similar to the 2009 New Orleans Saints.