• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread- what we need to do & thoughts

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Got some big FA's. Goldson, Rogers, and Brooks all need to be re-signed. If we have to use the franchise tag, lets use it on Goldson. I think Rogers would want to stay because he has liked it here so much, Goldson is the one I believe the biggest risk in leaving.

Ginn would be an okay re-sign but i wouldnt give him too much $$$. We just need to get a guy that knows what he is doing back there. Williams obviously has no clue. This shouldnt be that hard to replace.

I believe D. Walker is FA but not positive. He'd be nice to keep but I wouldnt give too much to him. Byham was looking pretty good before he was hurt and we could try in the mid to late rounds in the draft to get a replacement. I think the money here has to go to other parts of the team.

Alex Smith is going to be re-signed and staying with the team so no reason to debate this or talk about the deficiencies he has. We just gotta deal with it no matter how you feel because he isnt going anywhere.

For the draft, I havent been doing any reseach because of how good our season was going so this will be vague.
In the later rounds we need to pick up a G. Rachal obviously has to go. Synder isnt anything special so we need some depth and competition here. A late round receiver we could probably use and could possible use an early pick on also on a additional one. We could try for Bowe if he becomes a FA. Our receivers are probably the weakest point on our team.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep free agents get a G and a star WR.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Walker is a FA after next year. As to who stays or comes back... I'll trust Baalke, he didn't do us wrong this past year... as to my hopes, I hope that somehow they can manage to keep Rogers, Goldson, Brooks, Morgan, and Alex Smith. Oh, and I hope they can bring back Snyder as their swing O-lineman for depth, with some other guard taking over the starting spots.... but, this is probably a pipe dream... since Snyder deserves starters money.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need better depth at WR.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's a 5th wr at best. we might be able to pick up a day 2 guy to replace him. assuming we sign someone at wr, we still have crabtree and morgan. then resign ginn or a replacement that can actually return kicks like say royal.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Walker is a FA after next year. As to who stays or comes back... I'll trust Baalke, he didn't do us wrong this past year... as to my hopes, I hope that somehow they can manage to keep Rogers, Goldson, Brooks, Morgan, and Alex Smith. Oh, and I hope they can bring back Snyder as their swing O-lineman for depth, with some other guard taking over the starting spots.... but, this is probably a pipe dream... since Snyder deserves starters money.

i'm hoping for john carlson and maybe pick up someone in the draft at te

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to re-sign our free agents, and go after a true #1 WR. I'd like to re-sign Morgan as well and have him stay at the #2 spot. I think Crabs should be on the trading block while he still has some value, but if we keep him he should be our slot WR.

I'm hoping we make a play for Dwayne Bowe. I think he is the perfect fit for what we need at WR. He is a big physical blocker as well as a tall athletic endzone threat. My guess is the Chiefs tag him though.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure if Smith is brought back. I guess it all depends on his asking price. I know he made a few good throws against the Saints, but he's not that good. I'm not so sure if Scott Tolzien can't run this offense as good as he does, if not better. Smith's accuracy issues showed up big time in this game, as well as reminded everyone of his deep ball accuracy (besides the Saints game). Williams fumbles were tragic, however, Smith overthrew him when he was wide for a touchdown. Smith couldn't hit any of those passes while he was rolling out towards the end of the game either. He has issues and I'm not sure if he won't stagnate the team growth?

I think we should tag Goldson, re sign Rodgers, Grant, Castanzo (51), Brock, Spillman and really think hard about Alex. I think before Alex is signed the staff should make sure he is that much better than Tolzien and CK, otherwise the money could be spent on a solid wr or Mario Williams.

**note: Walker is not a free agent (many people think so)

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not so sure if Smith is brought back. I guess it all depends on his asking price. I know he made a few good throws against the Saints, but he's not that good. I'm not so sure if Scott Tolzien can't run this offense as good as he does, if not better. Smith's accuracy issues showed up big time in this game, as well as reminded everyone of his deep ball accuracy (besides the Saints game). Williams fumbles were tragic, however, Smith overthrew him when he was wide for a touchdown. Smith couldn't hit any of those passes while he was rolling out towards the end of the game either. He has issues and I'm not sure if he won't stagnate the team growth?

I think we should tag Goldson, re sign Rodgers, Grant, Castanzo (51), Brock, Spillman and really think hard about Alex. I think before Alex is signed the staff should make sure he is that much better than Tolzien and CK, otherwise the money could be spent on a solid wr or Mario Williams.

I completely agree with your thoughts on Smith except for the part that your not sure he wont be back. Its probably like a 95% chance he is back. He had a great game vs the saint(which helps ownership/Front office back up the decision), harbaugh loves him, Smith wants to stay here, front office has said they want to re-sign him, ect.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree with your entire assessment of Smith. Who the fuck is Scott Tolzien? (I know who he is) but who the fuck is Scott Tolzien? Alex Smith is a veteran QB who led us to our 1st playoff victory (in dramatic fashion) in forever and he threw for 2 TDs today. Ran all over the place too. Nobody was open on any of those rollouts as far as I saw. He has completed plenty of long balls over the past few weeks I'm not worried about his accuracy at all. They should definitely sign him. No question.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah Smith is getting brought back. If their is one player on the team assured to be re-signed it's Alex Smith.

The one thing we have going for us next year is this loss should make us hungry in the offseason. This type of game will sting and hurt all the way up until training camp starts. We were good enough to be within 3 points of the Super Bowl with a team that had yet to experience success and had no offseason. You'd have to expect having an offseason with a bunch of hungry players looking to erase this loss from their memories makes us dangerous next year.

Alex is the one player on our team I expect to be better next year. It would be a step backward to not re-sign him.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If some crazy owner out there is willing to overpay for Alex Smith, then we just have to let him walk. But if Smith is agreeable to a reasonable price, then he's definitely back next year.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need to get gore a real backup too. Kendall's a nice change of pace and Dixon is just too slow and easy to bring down.

Wouldn't mind Ricky Williams if he didn't resign with the ravens

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep Smith and give him some actual weapons. He'll be much better if you do. I'd honestly take any three of the Giants WRs over Crabtree. Manningham is the only close call but at least he's capable of getting separation.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with your entire assessment of Smith. Who the fuck is Scott Tolzien? (I know who he is) but who the fuck is Scott Tolzien? Alex Smith is a veteran QB who led us to our 1st playoff victory (in dramatic fashion) in forever and he threw for 2 TDs today. Ran all over the place too. Nobody was open on any of those rollouts as far as I saw. He has completed plenty of long balls over the past few weeks I'm not worried about his accuracy at all. They should definitely sign him. No question.

Agreed on smith. Many people think those balls thrown in the dirt were off target. I think they were intentionally thrown there to avoid a chance at a pick. The wrs were covered

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep Smith and give him some actual weapons. He'll be much better if you do. I'd honestly take any three of the Giants WRs over Crabtree. Manningham is the only close call but at least he's capable of getting separation.

LOL. The DB was absolutely glued to Crabtree all game. Crabtree reminded me of J.J. Stokes today. Having Vernon Davis almost made up for our WR's, but alas, it was not to be.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on smith. Many people think those balls thrown in the dirt were off target. I think they were intentionally thrown there to avoid a chance at a pick. The wrs were covered

Yeah, agreed. To me those throws were good jobs on not getting sacked and not throwing a pick.