• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OffSeason Moves

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deja Vu

My first thought after reading that the Pirates had signed Liriano was..... the Eric Bedard signing from last off-season. Both are lefty veterans with good stuff who have a history of performing well when healthy. (That is, until Liriano's last two seasons.)

For whatever reason, I was much more encouraged by the Bedard signing last year than I am about Liriano. (And we all know how the Bedard signing turned out.) In his favor, Liriano is younger and has the same expectation which followed A.J. Burnett to the Pirates..... that he will benefit from switching to the National League and pitching half the time at PNC Park.

At least Huntington finally did something which COULD improve the team for 2013, although I agree with others who have labeled this a high-risk-high-reward deal. Perhaps it will work out and the Pirates will end the streak. (I hope so, at least.)

I'd still feel a lot better if NH re-signs Jeff Karstens. Seems to me that Karstens at $3.9 mill for one year is a better risk than Liriano at $13 or $14 mill (whichever it turns out to be) for two years. Yeah..... I know Liriano has a higher upside, but I like Karstens' grit and pitching smarts.

At any rate, hopefully the Pirates will survive until July when the POSSIBILITY of help could arrive in the form of Morton and/or Cole. In the best of all possible worlds, Burnett and McDonald match their first-half performance from last season, Wandy is strong and steady, Liriano returns to his previous form, and either McPherson or Locke steps up..... and then when Morton and Cole show up, the Pirates can trade a starting pitcher to fill a hole. Unfortunately, since these ARE the Pirates we're discussing, that scenario seems like a pipe-dream.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a wild card. One season with a 4.75 era and one with 3.5 is about the best we can hope imo.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So the Hanrahan deal, had it been completed, would have had me thinking that there might have been another move made where we would have actually filled one of our holes. However, since it now appear as though it won't be done until after Christmas, I am guessing that this will be our last big move and we will go into Spring with a weaker lineup and bullpen. SP may be a wash, but I don't expect McDonald to rebound so the will be a net negative as well.

This coming season is going to be a long one I fear.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's now January 6. Quite a few free agents remain available, but most would not make sense for the Pirates. What criteria would I use to define "make sense?"

1. Affordable: The Pirates don't have much space left under their budget.

2. Significant upgrade: Enough better than the incumbent to be worth the cost.

3. Position of need: Shouldn't block players who need to see playing time.

4. Age: Young enough to make sense beyond 2013.

If any readers have different criteria, I welcome you sharing those.

So..... what do my criteria suggest?

In my view, the Pirates have enough candidates for the corner infield and outfield spots. At any rate, I see no remaining free agents in those positions who meet my criteria. It's obvious that McCutchen and Walker (if healthy) will man CF and 2B. And then there's SS..... but with Barmes under contract for 2013, I've resigned myself to the likelihood that the team will NOT pursue another SS. Having signed Martin, there is no way that Huntington will seek another catcher, either.

Pitching remains the Pirates' biggest position of need (other than SS). Any additions with potential for significant impact are likely to be pitchers, starters and/or relievers. Karstens remains my number one target.

NH (and Hurdle) may continue to make noise about upgrading the bench; however, bench moves usually make little difference..... hence, I can't get too interested in that.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We need starters - true - but our biggest need is in corner outfield. We don't have answers there - only possibilities. I would trade all of our possibilities for one answer if i could.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need starters - true - but our biggest need is in corner outfield. We don't have answers there - only possibilities. I would trade all of our possibilities for one answer if i could.

Personally, I agree. However, Huntington has essentially bet his job on at least a couple of those possibilities panning out. I don't see him "admitting defeat" on Marte, Presley, Tabata, Snider, and Sands until they have been given every chance to succeed.

I was struck by the following page at the Indianapolis Indians website. Unless one considers Felix Pie or Darren Ford as possibilities (I don't), there seems to be no corner OF help at Indy.

Transaction Tracker | Indianapolis Indians Roster

I was also struck by the bottom list on that page..... Indy players from last year who are no longer there. That's a LOT of turnover. One would like to think that those guys will be replaced with higher quality players from Huntington's drafts and International signings. We shall see.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You're looking at it from an odd perspective. Indianapolis is likely to have at least two out of Sands, Snider and Presley. That is the 'help' that they might be able to provide us.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if for some reason Liriano falls through they will need another starter and the only option via FA is Marcum and I to god they will never sign Joe Saunders.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you guys get more out of Hawpe than the Padres did. Management, the fans and teammates weren't real thrilled with him in San Diego.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you guys get more out of Hawpe than the Padres did. Management, the fans and teammates weren't real thrilled with him in San Diego.

Seriously if he takes 1 swing with the Pirates this yeah they are worse trouble than we already expect. Probably be no more than the Nick Evans role last year AAA filler.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1