• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Venting Thread AKA ACCCG/Sugar/Lockhart Venting Thread

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, this is the ad that shows up on the top of my screen. WTF???

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all want to hear something really funny. I actually had a Duke fan talk crap to me about the Sugar Bowl the other day. He came up and I could see he was going to give me hell, so I told him you don't say anything about Michigan, I won't say anything about Temple (who had beaten them the previous night). He responds with, well at least we didn't lose our bowl game.
Can you believe that crap? Of course, I told him I guess not when you haven't been to one in 20 years. Idiot.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all want to hear something really funny. I actually had a Duke fan talk crap to me about the Sugar Bowl the other day. He came up and I could see he was going to give me hell, so I told him you don't say anything about Michigan, I won't say anything about Temple (who had beaten them the previous night). He responds with, well at least we didn't lose our bowl game.
Can you believe that crap? Of course, I told him I guess not when you haven't been to one in 20 years. Idiot.

next time punch him in the face then kick him when he is down. Then say " now you know what it feels like to play Duke Football"

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If this program isn't capable of consistently winning big games they do not need to play them anywhere near as often. This "who's the MNC contender going to be next year OK let's schedule them" is nothing but piss-poor scheduling. You can schedule a preseason top 15-20 team, beat them, and still have it come off as a quality win. Scheduling top 5 teams is suicide and it benefits nobody except whoever schedules VT.

Any win against a ranked team is generally considered a good win. You don't have to fill up the OOC with an FCS and 3 Sunbelt teams but quit scheduling Bama and USC and LSU to try and prove something because all it proves right now is that Frank Beamer can't coach in big games and that VT isn't elite.

If VT schedules a moderately good team who should win 8-10 games and beats them that will look good for their SOS and their rep. If VT can consistently prove they can win those games then maybe think about scheduling top 10 or so and then if they can win those then you schedule top 5. There's zero sense to jumping in headfirst with teams who freaking win the national title that year.

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this program isn't capable of consistently winning big games they do not need to play them anywhere near as often. This "who's the MNC contender going to be next year OK let's schedule them" is nothing but piss-poor scheduling. You can schedule a preseason top 15-20 team, beat them, and still have it come off as a quality win. Scheduling top 5 teams is suicide and it benefits nobody except whoever schedules VT.

Any win against a ranked team is generally considered a good win. You don't have to fill up the OOC with an FCS and 3 Sunbelt teams but quit scheduling Bama and USC and LSU to try and prove something because all it proves right now is that Frank Beamer can't coach in big games and that VT isn't elite.

If VT schedules a moderately good team who should win 8-10 games and beats them that will look good for their SOS and their rep. If VT can consistently prove they can win those games then maybe think about scheduling top 10 or so and then if they can win those then you schedule top 5. There's zero sense to jumping in headfirst with teams who freaking win the national title that year.

you sir...should be a uva fan....

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Not very long ago, Tech fans were complaining about the OOC schedule because it contained "too many cupcakes". "How can you get to the Big Game if you don't play anyone of note?", they reasoned. The folks who were irritated the most were the season ticket holders who didn't like paying the money to come to Lane to see teams like Directional Michigan and Sisters of the Poor State.

Playing teams ranked in the Top 10 allows Tech to do two things: 1) please the fans who want to see Tech play better OOC competition, and 2) tells the Tech coaching staff where and how the team has to improve to be able to compete with the Alabamas, LSUs, and Auburns.

This year, we played an OOC slate that consisted of FCS Appalachian State, Arkansas State, ECU, and Marshall. If you're really a Tech fan as you claim to be, were you pleased by that level of "competition"? Do you think the Tech coaching staff learned anything from playing those teams?

No, the only way you become a better team is to play better competition. To be the best, you have to play the best.

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not very long ago, Tech fans were complaining about the OOC schedule because it contained "too many cupcakes". "How can you get to the Big Game if you don't play anyone of note?", they reasoned. The folks who were irritated the most were the season ticket holders who didn't like paying the money to come to Lane to see teams like Directional Michigan and Sisters of the Poor State.

Playing teams ranked in the Top 10 allows Tech to do two things: 1) please the fans who want to see Tech play better OOC competition, and 2) tells the Tech coaching staff where and how the team has to improve to be able to compete with the Alabamas, LSUs, and Auburns.

This year, we played an OOC slate that consisted of FCS Appalachian State, Arkansas State, ECU, and Marshall. If you're really a Tech fan as you claim to be, were you pleased by that level of "competition"? Do you think the Tech coaching staff learned anything from playing those teams?

No, the only way you become a better team is to play better competition. To be the best, you have to play the best.

exactly...and if you were really a hokie fan...you wouldn't be wanting tech to back down from ANY team. i love that we aren't afraid to schedule ANYONE...it's great for the current players..and it's great for recruiting.

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
lol, read the post next time before just pounding your sausage link fingers on the keyboard in unfettered rage.

Or be more like the Rivals posters you are/were.

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol, read the post next time before just pounding your sausage link fingers on the keyboard in unfettered rage.

read it yourself. :loco: like i said...you should be a uva fan...

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

You need to chill.

Your comments remind people why they no longer participate on other boards.

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
RARGH HE SAY SOMETHING I NO LIKE RARGH UVA FAN

You can definitely see the Rivals and TSL in some of you. Get over yourselves and take off the homer glasses.

I even went out of my way to say you shouldn't have a sub-par OOC schedule but some people, like TAE, managed to ignore or fail to read and/or comprehend that part(now give me 5 paragraphs as to how you didn't).

I never said to avoid everyone, I simply said to schedule on a reasonable level. The Nebraska series was a terrific scheduling idea. The Wisconsin one would have been good as well if they hadn't run away. And VT swept Nebraska, both of which were 9-10 win teams and which earned VT respect and improved the look of the program. You know what doesn't improve it? The early season losses with the national spotlight on VT. Against USC. And LSU. And Boise State. And Alabama. Oh and one of those losses was directly tied into one of the most humiliating losses in program history.

You build this like everything else, one step at a time. The 15 year old who learns to drive isn't thrown behind the wheel of a stock car, you give him a junker and when they prove they can handle it then you can start giving them the bigger, better, nicer cars. You start scheduling teams who should be good, not great, and consistently beat them and then you start going bigger and bigger.

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
read it yourself. :loco: like i said...you should be a uva fan...

Please give me the stats that support the idea that VT should continue to schedule preseason top 5 teams. Show me the success it heralds in recruiting and on the field. Show me VT's records against all preseason top 5 teams scheduled OOC, please.

Now show me the exact same thing for teams ranked 11-20 in the preseason.

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please give me the stats that support the idea that VT should continue to schedule preseason top 5 teams. Show me the success it heralds in recruiting and on the field. Show me VT's records against all preseason top 5 teams scheduled OOC, please.

Now show me the exact same thing for teams ranked 11-20 in the preseason.

look at the recruiting upswing since we've started playing these top 5 teams. we are getting better classes year in and year out. and you act like we've been smashed in each of these games...of those that you pointed out..lsu is the only team that crushed us...(thanks glennon!!) we were beating bama until the 4th...we were beating boise with 2 min left...and we need not talk about usc...(ghost interference) now granted...we need to start winning some of these games...but of all of those games...we were in it the whole way and should have won...you are never going to get better unless you play people BETTER than you. we are a 10 win team...and playing other 10 win teams isn't gonna be what makes us better...it's playing the "powerhouses" that's going to make us better...and it already has.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You start scheduling teams who should be good, not great, and consistently beat them and then you start going bigger and bigger.

I'm ignoring most of your response because this board isn't the place for flame wars. If you want to do that, please find another board.

I guess you must have missed the gradual improvement in scheduling since we appeared in the NC Game against FSU at the end of the 1999 season. Go to this site Virginia Tech Historical Data and tell me we haven't gradually improved our level of competition with a slight regression in 2011.

Now it's time to play the better opponents (Top 10 and above) and learn how to beat them. We're going to lose more than we win during that process...that's just the way it is.