• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Venting Thread AKA ACCCG/Sugar/Lockhart Venting Thread

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're not going to back our way into a National Title game by playing cupcakes OOC. Even if we manage to luck into a title game by playing cupcakes OOC, if we can't beat a tough opponent OOC, how will we beat them in the national title game?

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That catch was more questionable that Coale's. There was a good amount of shifting when that ball hit the ground. Realllly didn't need that flashback...

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We're not going to back our way into a National Title game by playing cupcakes OOC. Even if we manage to luck into a title game by playing cupcakes OOC, if we can't beat a tough opponent OOC, how will we beat them in the national title game?

Top 15-20 schools are not cupcakes. VT is a top 15 team. Are we a cupcake?

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
look at the recruiting upswing since we've started playing these top 5 teams. we are getting better classes year in and year out. and you act like we've been smashed in each of these games...of those that you pointed out..lsu is the only team that crushed us...(thanks glennon!!) we were beating bama until the 4th...we were beating boise with 2 min left...and we need not talk about usc...(ghost interference) now granted...we need to start winning some of these games...but of all of those games...we were in it the whole way and should have won...you are never going to get better unless you play people BETTER than you. we are a 10 win team...and playing other 10 win teams isn't gonna be what makes us better...it's playing the "powerhouses" that's going to make us better...and it already has.

Should have won is not winning. I never said VT is incapable of this, I said Frank Beamer is and his career is a beacon to this idea. He is a program builder, he is not a big game coach. Hell, I think Bud likely could win a lot of these big games because he thrives in them, especially when VT is being disrespected.

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
ImAHokie, I am with you 100%. I think the harsh way you worded your posts may have gotten people to jump on you, so perhaps tone it down a notch. Yet, from a logical standpoint I'm not really sure anyone who wants to see us win as many games as possible year after year would seriously disagree with you.

Virginia Tech teams historically do not start off well. Look at the losses to ECU, JMU, Bama, and LSU.... even our performances in early games that we won. It's just fact we tend to play below expectations early in the year, even when we win (ECU this year).

Scheduling Bama and Boise St. and national title contenders for the 1st game of the year is complete suicide. I would've loved to have played Alabama later in that year, but scheduling just doesn't work like that. With regards to these games helping us in recruiting, I can't say that's true as we are recruiting very poorly head-to-head against SEC schools especially Alabama.

I would love for us to schedule Top 15-20 programs early in the year. Those are the teams we can start to knock off every year and really establish a recruiting edge against them. For instance I would love to see a home-and-home with Tennessee or even Nebraska again. For future schedules we have Penn St, Ohio St, and Wisconsin scheduled. That's EXACTLY who we need to be playing, as it gives us more than enough OOC strength and a very solid OOC win if we beat them. Those are the teams we can get off of our backs on the recruiting trail and boot them from Virginia with beating up on them on a national stage.

We have no business playing Alabama 1st game of the season or LSU and Beamer and Weaver know this now. And that's why VT will not do it anymore.

Beamer required that if we are to play in the Labor Day opener next year it will be one of our already scheduled home games.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We have no business playing Alabama 1st game of the season or LSU and Beamer and Weaver know this now. And that's why VT will not do it anymore.

Beamer required that if we are to play in the Labor Day opener next year it will be one of our already scheduled home games.

Tech plays Alabama in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff, the first game of the 2013 season.

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've heard that originally but have been told that they would prefer GT. What are you personally hearing 46?

That had nothing to do with the point of my post haha, but while it's been brought up I'd like to know what your thoughts are.

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tech plays Alabama in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff, the first game of the 2013 season.

and i hope we have games like this every year. it's the only way we're gonna get a title shot. even if we did schedule a preseason top 20 team...once we beat them...they will no longer be ranked..and even if we went undefeated...a one loss sec team will get the nod over us...or hell..even a one loss pac champ will.

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sorry, but a 11-0 VT will get in over a 10-1 team with a loss to Alabama every year. Wins are worth more than SOS in the BCS ranking system. We are still in an AQ conference even if it is the ACC.

I think you are way overvaluing that one game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard that originally but have been told that they would prefer GT. What are you personally hearing 46?

That had nothing to do with the point of my post haha, but while it's been brought up I'd like to know what your thoughts are.

I am hearing both, actually, so we will see...

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love for us to schedule Top 15-20 programs early in the year. Those are the teams we can start to knock off every year and really establish a recruiting edge against them. For instance I would love to see a home-and-home with Tennessee or even Nebraska again. For future schedules we have Penn St, Ohio St, and Wisconsin scheduled. That's EXACTLY who we need to be playing, as it gives us more than enough OOC strength and a very solid OOC win if we beat them. Those are the teams we can get off of our backs on the recruiting trail and boot them from Virginia with beating up on them on a national stage.

I see Ohio State being a top 5 (or close to it) team when we play them in 2014-2015. Which is part of the problem of scheduling these games. Most of the time you can't tell what type of team you're going to get. You guys want a team that is ranked 15-20, but most home and home games are scheduled 4+ years before the game happens. Very hard to tell where a team is going to be by then. We did not know LSU was going to win the national title the year we got crushed by them on the road. We don't know how good Wisconsin will be in 6 years. Weaver is just trying to get exciting match-ups for our program instead of scheduling cupcakes. They just happen to be top 5 teams occasionally.

And I don't think we have anything scheduled with Penn State in the future.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sorry, but a 11-0 VT will get in over a 10-1 team with a loss to Alabama every year. Wins are worth more than SOS in the BCS ranking system.

Not if we're playing a soft OOC schedule.

An undefeated 2011 season with that very soft OOC schedule would have gotten us nothing more than a #3 or #4 ranking and a berth in the Orange Bowl as the ACC Champion.

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I see Ohio State being a top 5 (or close to it) team when we play them in 2014-2015. Which is part of the problem of scheduling these games. Most of the time you can't tell what type of team you're going to get. You guys want a team that is ranked 15-20, but most home and home games are scheduled 4+ years before the game happens. Very hard to tell where a team is going to be by then. We did not know LSU was going to win the national title the year we got crushed by them on the road. We don't know how good Wisconsin will be in 6 years. Weaver is just trying to get exciting match-ups for our program instead of scheduling cupcakes. They just happen to be top 5 teams occasionally.

And I don't think we have anything scheduled with Penn State in the future.

Wisconsin and Ohio St. are both home-and-homes, correct? And I think we did drop Penn State, either that or they backed out themselves, I can't remember.

It would be more favorable to create these home-and-homes IMO. In a perfect world, I think we would like to recreate what we had with WVU. I don't think WVU is a good idea anymore, but for years VT and Tenn. fans have been wanting to get an every year OOC "rivalry" type game going.

I would love to get that going with Nebraska, or even Penn State. I think Texas A&M would be an exciting idea since we have so much in common with their school.

Like I said though, I really don't like those games on Labor day. That's never a good look for us.

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
@TAE, If you look at how the BCS has usually scored us we are always ranked higher in the BCS than anywhere. I just disagree, I don't see an undefeated team in an AQ not playing in the national championship. Agree to disagree?

Edit: So in your opinion, going undefeated in the ACC and with an OOC that includes Pitt and Cincinatti, we still wouldn't get in over a one loss team?

Heck, the ACC was worse this year than most years (a lot to do with Manuel getting hurt), but I just don't see it man. I don't think thats possible.

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TAE, If you look at how the BCS has usually scored us we are always ranked higher in the BCS than anywhere. I just disagree, I don't see an undefeated team in an AQ not playing in the national championship. Agree to disagree?

Edit: So in your opinion, going undefeated in the ACC and with an OOC that includes Pitt and Cincinatti, we still wouldn't get in over a one loss team?

Heck, the ACC was worse this year than most years (a lot to do with Manuel getting hurt), but I just don't see it man. I don't think thats possible.

i think until miami and fsu get better...then yes...a one loss bama or lsu would get in over an undefeated acc. i mean hell..look at bama this year...they beat a whopping 3 teams with a winning record, didn't win their division much less their conf...and they still got in over a much more deserving osu...do i think that's right?...absolutely not...but i do think that's what would happen. espn and all the analysts and so called "experts" are so far up the sec's butt it's not even funny. (see ark being top 10 after beating 2 teams with a winning record)that is why we NEED these games if we are ever going to get into the nc...until miami and fsu start pulling their weight in the acc that is.

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ehh, I think it's hard to argue that Oklahma St. was more deserving than Alabama. But if they want undefeated, it wouldn't be hard at all. Which is what you have to do!

It's important to remember thate late losses hurt you more than early losses. That's just how it works. Oklahoma State lost late in the year to Iowa State........... you can't lose a game like that that late in the year and expect to be in the MNC. It's never worked like that.

And the rest of your post is my exact point. Strength of schedule doesn't carry as much weight at all as you just pointed out. If we take that 1-loss in the Labor Day opener then there is NO way we can make the national championship.

We have to go undefeated to get there. An undefeated Oklahoma State would've gotten in over the 1-loss Alabama, right? Yes.

So that's the ultimate goal. Now there's a huge difference between scheduling cupcakes and setting yourself up for failure. There is a middle ground. And that middle ground is enough to send VT, Miami, and FSU to a national championship if any one of them went udefeated.