• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Offseason News and Rumors

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super teams don't always win.

I would call that an old, talented team. JJ and Deron are not as old, Deron is regressing. PP, KG, and Terry are about done, Pierce might give the last of his effort this season.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, you're like a 5 year old talking about how he can beat up Superman.

The Lakers brought Dwight in thinking he would be the guy they'd build around. By the time it came to re-sign him, they were done with him. Their effort to re-sign him came down to hanging a couple of posters and saying "we'll give you the max". Jeanie didn't even bother to attend the meeting.

Lebron was never going anywhere but Cleveland or Miami. Carmelo came close, but in the end he chose home and more money. Both went exactly where everyone, including the Lakers, figured they would. The Lakers never seriously pursued Dirk or Bosh. Bosh was signed for more than the Lakers could pay him to stay where he's comfortable and Dirk isn't leaving Dallas for any amount of money.

Mice try at a childish deflection. You'd make yourself look better if you'd just admit that you're wrong about the Lakers and what they can pay.
C-mon man. You know damn well the Buss family wanted him to stay in LA.

Jeanie even said so herself:

"I've had a few people say, 'You guys are better off without him.' But do you know who those people are? People from other NBA teams, because they don't want us to have that kind of talent," Buss said. "I myself believed that you always want to hold on to talent. I was disappointed that Dwight chose to leave. Certainly he was well within his rights, with free agency. I just don't agree with his decision."

Asked why she didn't attend the Lakers' final pitch meeting to Howard, Buss said, "Dwight knew how I felt. I made it clear to Dwight that I wanted to help him become the player he was meant to be, a championship player."

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have a good argument I am all ears - i just dont see it.

Mickey Arison 6.5 billion
Dan Gilbert 3.9 billion
Paul Allen 16.2 billion
Mark Cuban 2.5 billion
Tom Gores 2.5 billion
Mikkail Prokohorv 11 billion
Steven Ballmer 20.7 billion

I just dont see how the Buss family trust which is compromised of 6 of the Buss children owning the team has a financial advantage over some of the richest men in the world when putting together a team

maybe i am wrong- ihave been before and i am sure i will be again

Maybe not a financial advantage due to personal wealth, but the Lakers can afford to keep up because of how profitable of a franchise they are. After their luxury tax bill and revenue sharing bill, the Lakers profited $100mil last season. Last season was their worst ever since moving to Los Angeles. They can afford large payrolls.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they were under the cap this year

i dont understand at all i guess- i mean they offered Howard the Max, LeBron the max, Carmelo the Max, Bosh the max, Dirk the max- i thought everyone wantd to come to LA?

and take 50 million RIGHT off the top of that for revenue sharing- which is the amount the Lakers cut a check to the league

They were over the cap last year. You posted their payroll a few posts earlier. They would have been well over the cap if they were able to resign Dwight. They aren't looking to cut costs. Plans had to change when Dwight didn't resign. They have to position themselves to have significant cap space to sign free agents to help the rebuild.

And they never offered Dirk a max contract.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you both have to have the VERy rich owner- and the will to spend the money and incur 8 digit losses on a yearly basis-

The beauty about the Lakers is that they don't have to incur losses on a yearly basis to afford a competitive team. They are immensely profitable.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiggy feels owners wealth determines mindset.
These guys became wealthy by being good businessmen.
They all want their business/team to be as profitable as possible.
Gilbert's in an unusual position now because of James.

How many times did he ever pay luxury tax trying to win without having James?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would call that an old, talented team. JJ and Deron are not as old, Deron is regressing. PP, KG, and Terry are about done, Pierce might give the last of his effort this season.

PP went to Washington.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sale of the Clippers to Steve Ballmer is complete.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait for lunch, been working too damn hard today.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“We'll never go over the tax,” Bird said, re-affirming his stance. “My owner's told me that that's a place he don't want to go. We'll do whatever we can to stay under.

Pacers owner Herbert Simon's net worth is 2.3 B

Most owners feel the same way.
There's circumstances that will make owners pay, but its the exception, not the rule.

For Wiggy to suggest that these guys want/are willing to spend just because they can, is not correct.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“We'll never go over the tax,” Bird said, re-affirming his stance. “My owner's told me that that's a place he don't want to go. We'll do whatever we can to stay under.

Pacers owner Herbert Simon's net worth is 2.3 B

Most owners feel the same way.
There's circumstances that will make owners pay, but its the exception, not the rule.

For Wiggy to suggest that these guys want/are willing to spend just because they can, is not correct.

Billionaires didn't become billionaires by losing money. Arison made some moves last season so that he paid less of a luxury tax bill. I doubt the Nets owner was thrilled to lose $144mil.

It will be interesting to see how much Gilbert is willing to go over the cap in future seasons. Pretty soon the salaries of James, Love, and Irving will take up most of their cap space.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shelly Sterling #1 Clippers fan? What say you Clipper Darrel?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when do the Clippers move to Seattle?