• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 OOC Facepalm Schedules

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how can it not be influenced by numbers.
if you had the option to set your teams schedule which set would you pick?
Oregon, LSU, Oklahoma State, Nebraska
Fresno State, East Carolina, Ball State, Louisiana Lafayette

Which 4 would you rather your team play? based on SOS W/L record they are the same. but I bet your biasedness would tell you the second set would be easier to play than the first.

If I'm going to be completely honest. As a fan, I want the first 4 on your list. Those are "must see" games. Those are the games that you have your buddies over for a BBQ or you circle as games that you want to attend.

If I'm most AD's around the country, I want the 2nd 4 on your list because I'm looking at going in to conference play only needing 2-3 wins to become bowl eligible or I'm much more likely to finish unbeaten or with only 1-2 losses and a possible playoff berth or BCS bowl.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm going to be completely honest. As a fan, I want the first 4 on your list. Those are "must see" games. Those are the games that you have your buddies over for a BBQ or you circle as games that you want to attend.

If I'm most AD's around the country, I want the 2nd 4 on your list because I'm looking at going in to conference play only needing 2-3 wins to become bowl eligible or I'm much more likely to finish unbeaten or with only 1-2 losses and a possible playoff berth or BCS bowl.

Ok then how about if your team is a team like Minnesota, Miss St, Oregon State, North Carolina? a middle team that in the last few years has had ups and downs and in between seasons?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, SOS, while based on numbers, is based on soft ones.

1. Which formula are you going to use? I know of at least a dozen, all factoring different numbers differently. The BCS even had a completely different artificial SOS and folks like Sagarin even publicly admitted that the BCS formula was deeply flawed and ran a different one in addition to the BCS one....
2. All SOS does is measure the records of the teams played, not taking numerous factors like home or on the road, losing by 1 in overtime or losing by 40 with the 3rd team playing the entire second half.
3. Much of it is based on factors entirely outside of a team's control. For example, if a team knocks out a star player in a tight win, and that team then goes on to lose the rest of their games, the winning team gets penalized.
4. SOS doesn't answer the real question, how good is the team? It only answers how good are the other teams.

Orignal BCS SOS was based on records. Only real issue is based on treatment of FCS teams. People like Sagarin were annoyed when the BCS mandated the removal of MOV in their calculations. Odd BCS guys that could not open an Excel file were mandating how guys like Sagarin should run their models. SOS simply measures how hard the path you took was to end up at 10 wins. In no way does it or does it even try to rank teams.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are such a tool. Just have a normal conversation without being an obnoxious homer for once.

Pot, meet kettle. You hear the word "HYPOCRITE" a lot, don't you? Refer to post #3 dumbfuck.....

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side question. Why is OOC or out of conference used more widely than non conference when non conference is so much easier to say?

Because non-conference would be abbreviated NC and that's already used for National Championship? :noidea:

I always used non-conference terminology before I started posting on message boards. Now I just go with the flow and use OOC.

I have no idea if its true or not but someone told me that Non-Conference includes all games (ie. Bowl games) while OOC only includes scheduled games.

So Bama had a Non-Conference game vs Oklahoma last yeat but they didn't play OOC. :noidea:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok then how about if your team is a team like Minnesota, Miss St, Oregon State, North Carolina? a middle team that in the last few years has had ups and downs and in between seasons?

For me personally as a fan, it wouldn't change too much. I might want to mix in a cupcake or 2 so that I have a better chance at seeing my team in a bowl game, but I would still want 1 or 2 of the first 4 on your list as a bit of a measuring stick for my teams progress.

If I'm an AD, then I really want that 2nd 4 because most years, it's the best chance at the team being bowl eligible.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to topic:

NC State:

Ga Southern
Old Dominion
@USF
Presbyterian

:L NCSU might have the worst OOC in the country. 2 FCS schools on their schedule. Pathetic.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but the SEC has more. Year after year, SEC schools play MORE FCS teams, more low end FBS teams, and more home games than the other major conferences. It's really not even all that close.

If Trojan Fan is right in his analysis, this year the SEC has 42 or 43 easy games to 8 or 9 tough ones. And those games are mostly at home or in friendly "neutral" sites. The other factor is that SEC schools almost never leave the South for meaningful OOC games.

My point is always, we can give a pass for one cupcake match, but when a school, like Alabama for example, does 3 of these glorified scrimmage contests every single year, that is playing the system.

Average number of FCS teams played, over the last 10 years (credit to LawDawg):

ACC - 9.1
SEC - 8.5
AAC - 8.3
BIGXII - 8.1
BIG 10 - 7.1
PAC 12 - 5.4

The PAC 12 is the only conference that schedules significantly less FCS teams.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to topic:

NC State:

Ga Southern
Old Dominion
@USF
Presbyterian

:L NCSU might have the worst OOC in the country. 2 FCS schools on their schedule. Pathetic.

Just 1 FCS team (GSU moved to Sun Belt & ODU will be in C-USA this season), but still very weak. :L

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just 1 FCS team (GSU moved to Sun Belt & ODU will be in C-USA this season), but still very weak. :L

My bad, I thought ODU was still FCS. Still, pathetic OOC schedule regardless.....

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pot, meet kettle. You hear the word "HYPOCRITE" a lot, don't you? Refer to post #3 dumbfuck.....

It was a slight jab. Nothing like the over the top, douche posts you continue to make while people are trying to have an actually civil conversation, dumb fuck. Get over your little feelings being hurt because I took a little shot at your football team you pussy.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a slight jab. Nothing like the over the top, douche posts you continue to make while people are trying to have an actually civil conversation, dumb fuck. Get over your little feelings being hurt because I took a little shot at your football team you pussy.

Sorry Romeo, it's been well-documented on the internet that you classify as a certified "tool."

Now, apologize to that youngster...

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You went out of your way to hijack the thread. I rebuttled and you got your feelings hurt. Stop pissing sitting down and grow a pair, pheg......

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Romeo, it's been well-documented on the internet that you classify as a certified "tool."

Now, apologize to that youngster...

Don't know where you're getting that from and I don't care. I get along with most in here so I really couldn't care less what some putz on a message board thinks of me. Don't like me? Don't read my posts and put me on ignore. Thanks cowboy.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You went out of your way to hijack the thread. I rebuttled and you got your feelings hurt. Stop pissing sitting down and grow a pair, pheg......

You didn't rebut anything. You threw your little temper tantrum as usual, which was quite entertaining.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom line, if cowardice in scheduling is rewarded, cowardice in scheduling will continue.