• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive line is top priority

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without a doubt this is our biggest need. Despite the fact that we need desperate help at inside linebacker, Wide Receiver and Safety if we don't revamp the entire line except for TW, we will be hearing Doc Walker use these words over and over again.

"They came out and took it from us. Took the food off the table, ate it in front of us, and belched right in our face."

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without a doubt this is our biggest need. Despite the fact that we need desperate help at inside linebacker, Wide Receiver and Safety if we don't revamp the entire line except for TW, we will be hearing Doc Walker use these words over and over again.

"They came out and took it from us. Took the food off the table, ate it in front of us, and belched right in our face."

the defense is awful and we cant win with it at this rate

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to address BOTH areas for sure.

I have believed and said, from the beginning, that the Oline has to be addressed next year and can't be pushed til 2015. I haven't changed my mind about it. I still believe that football is a game of the trenches and it all starts there. We have the QB and other core pieces on offense, but nothing is getting better, if we don't address the Oline, PFF #4 rating(lmao) be damned.

Equally critical, but not more important, imo, is addressing the defense.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O-Line and secondary

Wide recievers as well. Need better depth

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We need to address BOTH areas for sure.

I have believed and said, from the beginning, that the Oline has to be addressed next year and can't be pushed til 2015. I haven't changed my mind about it. I still believe that football is a game of the trenches and it all starts there. We have the QB and other core pieces on offense, but nothing is getting better, if we don't address the Oline, PFF #4 rating(lmao) be damned.

Equally critical, but not more important, imo, is addressing the defense.

see i believe we can in fact push the o/line to the 2015 draft and focus on the defense

see this is what i feel , i feel that if we had a decent defense then when the offense struggles like it has and will no matter how much you improve the o/line then instead of giving up TDs we would give up FGs and when the offense finds its way we can catch up and win

however if we address the o/line then we will have to go hard on defense with less resources . see to me its easier to replace 3 guys then 7 . i would rather do the 7 when i have money . and picks as opposed to when i dont have money and only picks

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O line has to be first. An extra year of getting your franchise murdered is unacceptable.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a miracle that Griffin hasnt been seriously hurt already.
He is taking a lot of flak and some is warranted but the line is atrocious. I actually think we have good pieces but the line is just designed for the run. Our running game has been good but we abandon it to soon all the time.
We also have shitty recievers. Garcon is good but the rest are inconsistent (morgan,Moss,armstrong) I actually like Hank as well. Reed played well when he was in there. I think we havent used Paulsen enough either

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
see i believe we can in fact push the o/line to the 2015 draft and focus on the defense

see this is what i feel , i feel that if we had a decent defense then when the offense struggles like it has and will no matter how much you improve the o/line then instead of giving up TDs we would give up FGs and when the offense finds its way we can catch up and win

however if we address the o/line then we will have to go hard on defense with less resources . see to me its easier to replace 3 guys then 7 . i would rather do the 7 when i have money . and picks as opposed to when i dont have money and only picks

If we wanted to run only next year on offense, I could agree with your points cuz the reasoning is sound. Griff cannot develop as a passer without protection. If I saw us using a mobile pocket consistently, I would agree with you. I don't believe it IMPOSSIBLE to address both sides of the ball. This is a passing league first. You have to have a QB that can pass. We need to develop GRiffs passing skills. That means giving him the tools to do it are first priority. Not saying that doesn't diminish the importance of defense.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we wanted to run only next year on offense, I could agree with your points cuz the reasoning is sound. Griff cannot develop as a passer without protection. If I saw us using a mobile pocket consistently, I would agree with you. I don't believe it IMPOSSIBLE to address both sides of the ball. This is a passing league first. You have to have a QB that can pass. We need to develop GRiffs passing skills. That means giving him the tools to do it are first priority. Not saying that doesn't diminish the importance of defense.

look if the team decides to address the o/line 1st i am not jumping off a bridge

i just will go in thinking that until the defense is fixed we wont get to where we want to go

the big difference with the saints and panthers are defense

if we sign a quality center and 2 guards and get part of the defense taken care of then 2015 can be devoted to the defense and you wont hear a peep out of me

sublime4eva

Westcoast Redskin fan....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're going to improve on the line we need to do it in free agency, I don't want to see Griffin take another season of poundings like this season, but our defense is awful...LB'S are slow, secondary is a joke...
Could use another solid Wr too.

sublime4eva

Westcoast Redskin fan....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doe Polumbus even know what pass blocking is...?

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're going to improve on the line we need to do it in free agency, I don't want to see Griffin take another season of poundings like this season, but our defense is awful...LB'S are slow, secondary is a joke...
Could use another solid Wr too.

You all know $$$, the draft and FA much better than I. Seems that it would be smartest to attack the OLine thru FA. You'd want players with proven track records. Then defense thru draft and FA. We haven't used our top picks for d since Kerrigan. Seems like we could use our higher picks there this year.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look if the team decides to address the o/line 1st i am not jumping off a bridge

i just will go in thinking that until the defense is fixed we wont get to where we want to go

if we sign a quality center and 2 guards and get part of the defense taken care of then 2015 can be devoted to the defense and you wont hear a peep out of me

I think you're right about a strong defense being the key part of championships. Until we have both, we're still not a championship team. But again, without a QB who can pass, we're in the same boat. That's why I think we have to address both and then continue to fill holes in 2015 as best we can. Reality to me, is that we'll be much better next year, unless we blow it all up that is. Sad thing is we're delayed again because of Griffs injury and all the other BS. We all wanted to be contenders already and I mistakenly thought we were just about there. Ugh! Just sooooooo disappointing.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All we're saying is that of O line isn't addressed seriously this year, you're going to have to address QB, too.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All we're saying is that of O line isn't addressed seriously this year, you're going to have to address QB, too.

I listened to Cooley's grades after he reviewed the game tapes. If you heard that you might change your mind. Here were his thoughts, just for San Fran game.

Jenkins - bad in run and pass
Cofield & Neild - no push, what good is a NT without a push
Baker - best lineman on that day
Orakpo - plays too high, has one move (slow start then speed up), won't see big money
Riley - played okay but did he play anything like Bowman, NO
Fletcher - can cover in the passing game but can't get off blocks against the run
Kerrigan - good against the run and good pash rush, should NEVER be in pass defense
Amerson - played poorly in half the plays
Wilson - turns hips to quickly and gives yards to receivers
Hall - best DB
Doughty - very good run defender, has to play zone, won't succeed in man to man
Meriwether - not bad

Oline -
Trent - worst game ever, normally GREAT
Polumbus - way better than given credit for, consistently best run blocker always gets to the 2nd level on blocks, gets beat on the edge because he never knows where Griffin is going to set up at
3 inside lineman - get pushed into the backfield too easily, okay in the run, not great

Griffin - missing plays, holding the ball too long, inaccurate -- has all the tools but needs to regain confidence. Never ran a pro style offense before the NFL and although Shanahans helped him be successful in his first year he needs to learn the pro game, plenty smart enough to do that. Off season injury rehab a big reason he has regressed this year.

A number of people over the years have said Skins should play 4-3, Cooley's take is Kerrigan could play end and might be best suited there but Orakpo is too light.

His take on what the team needs:
2 Dlineman
2 LBs
2 DBs
2 Olineman

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I listened to Cooley's grades after he reviewed the game tapes. If you heard that you might change your mind. Here were his thoughts, just for San Fran game.

Orakpo - plays too high, has one move (slow start then speed up), won't see big money
Fletcher - can cover in the passing game but can't get off blocks against the run
Kerrigan - good against the run and good pash rush, should NEVER be in pass defense
Hall - best DB
Meriwether - not bad

Oline -
Polumbus - way better than given credit for, consistently best run blocker always gets to the 2nd level on blocks, gets beat on the edge because he never knows where Griffin is going to set up at
3 inside lineman - get pushed into the backfield too easily, okay in the run, not great

Griffin - missing plays, holding the ball too long, inaccurate -- has all the tools but needs to regain confidence. Never ran a pro style offense before the NFL and although Shanahans helped him be successful in his first year he needs to learn the pro game, plenty smart enough to do that. Off season injury rehab a big reason he has regressed this year.

A number of people over the years have said Skins should play 4-3, Cooley's take is Kerrigan could play end and might be best suited there but Orakpo is too light.

2 Dlineman
2 LBs
2 DBs
2 Olineman

well the good thing from all that is Rak wont see big money so that helps us

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll leave talent assessment and the names in the draft to others as I don't follow college ball. I'll also leave cap discussions to others cuz numbers discussions aren't my thing and I can't keep track of it all.

That said, here's my wish list for the draft and/or FA upgrades in no particular order. I am not a fan of using most of the available money on high dollar contracts for just a few guys and no talent elsewhere. Rather have the salary spread around the team more evenly.

2 Olineman
1 Playmaker WR
Min 1 DE, rather have 2
1 corner
1 safety
1 ILB
1 Punter

I still think it is AS important to address the Oline (even if it is only 1 player) as it is to completely address Defense and STs. Think it would be a mistake to wait until 2015.

^^^^^. What I previously posted

Not too far off from Cooleys assessment.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hall - best DB
Meriwether - not bad

Oline -

2 Dlineman
2 LBs
2 DBs
2 Olineman

Yes, your defense is bad. But your offensive line is terrible. If you do not make it the highest priority by a long shot, you are all but guaranteed to need a QB next year.

RG3 is too good, and you gave up too much, to skimp on protecting him. I don't care if you can't add a single defensive player as a result. You have to give line priority.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, your defense is bad. But your offensive line is terrible. If you do not make it the highest priority by a long shot, you are all but guaranteed to need a QB next year.

RG3 is too good, and you gave up too much, to skimp on protecting him. I don't care if you can't add a single defensive player as a result. You have to give line priority.

Not going to say the Oline is good but Griffin is a large part of the problem. He is starting down ONE receiver and holding the ball too long. I am also not going to call for Cousins but he is a better pro style QB right now than Griffin. I watched McGloin read better than Griffin last night. All that being said Griffin has the most upside.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the o/line is a need , so just who do we get that is an upgrade ? we have a top 7 offense 2 years running WITH this o/line

and we have a bottom feeder defense

now i will grant you the o/line in pass blocking is avg at best but some of that is on the qb , the wrs not getting open , RBs and tes, missing blocks

what i see from this free agent class are a couple of guys who could be slight upgrades but guys like a mack or clady arent going to be there