• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive Blame Game

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen much of the Lions, but I did watch the Arizona game last week. From an outsiders point of view......When Stafford throws to Megatron, it's always downfield. Why not have him alter his route and go across the middle or run a seam route up the middle? Manning does the same with D. Thomas and it's always a play designed for a big chunk of yardage. Blocking for Bell was absolutely horrendous.

Your coming to Foxboro this week and the O-Line has to give Bell some holes to run in or the pass will not work. Look what the Patriots have done to Manning and Luck. Took away the run and forced them to throw the ball. So what if they give up 400 yards passing........nothing went into the end zone. Lions defense is good but so were the Colts...#1 against the run and Jonas Gray ran for 201 yards on 37 carries. Patriots are not a great team, but the coaches know exactly what they want to do every week.

Since the Lions don't have a stellar record away from the Silverdome, it's up to the coaching staff to figure out what the Patriots want to do.............a little secret......they'll run to set up the play/action, suck the safties toward the line of scrimmage and burn them in the middle of the field.
Nothing says elite defense like giving up 400+ passing yards, especially when it's apparently by design...

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently not, I thought it was solid. 7-4 will be solid after they lose to NE sunday as well. Their remainder of the schedule has two games that I think will be tough. At GB and at chi.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I said 'taking a backseat' instead of 'ignored'. I'm not crazy about exaggeration.

Fair enough, but I'd still argue that the last 3 drafts have placed a higher emphasis on the O-line and defense then on offensive skill positions.

2012: 1.) Reiff 2.) Broyles 3.) Bentley
2013: 1.) Ansah 2.) Slay 3.) Warford
2014: 1.) Ebron 2.) Van Noy 3.) Swanson

So if we break down those top 3 picks in the last three years we come up with 3 offensive linemen, 2 CBs, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 DE, and 1 LB.

I think that Mayhew got a reputation for liking offensive toys when he drafted Best, Young, Leshoure, and then Broyles in the late 1st/2nd rounds during a 3 draft stretch, but I think that was just the way the cards fell, not necessarily him having a preference for offensive skill players.

Our last three drafts would seem to show that he loves his linemen...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he did flash a little bit last week and he looks like he has potential to be a STAR

4 catches for 22 yards is flashing a little bit? and what potential is it you speak of? what he did in college?

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 catches for 22 yards is flashing a little bit? and what potential is it you speak of? what he did in college?

AAAAnd we are back to mike Bitching that Ebron hasn't set any records yet. :burt:

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen much of the Lions, but I did watch the Arizona game last week. From an outsiders point of view......When Stafford throws to Megatron, it's always downfield. Why not have him alter his route and go across the middle or run a seam route up the middle? Manning does the same with D. Thomas and it's always a play designed for a big chunk of yardage. Blocking for Bell was absolutely horrendous.

Your coming to Foxboro this week and the O-Line has to give Bell some holes to run in or the pass will not work. Look what the Patriots have done to Manning and Luck. Took away the run and forced them to throw the ball. So what if they give up 400 yards passing........nothing went into the end zone. Lions defense is good but so were the Colts...#1 against the run and Jonas Gray ran for 201 yards on 37 carries. Patriots are not a great team, but the coaches know exactly what they want to do every week.

Since the Lions don't have a stellar record away from the Silverdome, it's up to the coaching staff to figure out what the Patriots want to do.............a little secret......they'll run to set up the play/action, suck the safties toward the line of scrimmage and burn them in the middle of the field.

Indy was barely top 10 against the run. They were only that high because they blew out a lot of teams early in the year so they threw more than ran.

Denver was the only team ahead of the Lions going into week 11.

Pats will have to throw. They are not going to be able to run. Lions offense has not done much this year so not sure that will change, but I would not be surprised if we ran more than usual.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AAAAnd we are back to mike Bitching that Ebron hasn't set any RECORDS yet.

Records? The guy doesn't even have 150 yards receiving total on the year. Sad part is -- the only other player on the Lions roster without a catch over 20 yards on offense is the other TE we spent a first round pick on (Pettigrew).

Damn you Martin Mayhew and your frickin' 1st round TE picks.:doh:

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, but I'd still argue that the last 3 drafts have placed a higher emphasis on the O-line and defense then on offensive skill positions.

2012: 1.) Reiff 2.) Broyles 3.) Bentley
2013: 1.) Ansah 2.) Slay 3.) Warford
2014: 1.) Ebron 2.) Van Noy 3.) Swanson

So if we break down those top 3 picks in the last three years we come up with 3 offensive linemen, 2 CBs, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 DE, and 1 LB.

I think that Mayhew got a reputation for liking offensive toys when he drafted Best, Young, Leshoure, and then Broyles in the late 1st/2nd rounds during a 3 draft stretch, but I think that was just the way the cards fell, not necessarily him having a preference for offensive skill players.

Our last three drafts would seem to show that he loves his linemen...

OL and DL are two different animals. While all defensive linemen are important (sorry OL), Gs and Cs are a dime a dozen. Not that exceptional players at these positions don't make a difference, but average players are easy to find (although they take awhile to develop). I only see one OT in your example.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Records? The guy doesn't even have 150 yards receiving total on the year. Sad part is -- the only other player on the Lions roster without a catch over 20 yards on offense is the other TE we spent a first round pick on (Pettigrew).

:deadhorse:

I know. I agree fully. If a TE is not a HOFer by his 7th game he's never going to be. Worst pick ever. I am so mad I am going to constantly cry about it on every thread I open. :bawling:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL and DL are two different animals. While all defensive linemen are important (sorry OL), Gs and Cs are a dime a dozen. Not that exceptional players at these positions don't make a difference, but average players are easy to find (although they take awhile to develop). I only see one OT in your example.

Potato/Tomato.

Regardless he's dialed back on the offensive toys these last few drafts...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have been a thread ender.

I could see the OL taking a backseat to the pretty baubles he loves if the Lions had big Ben at QB. Short of that he needs to give the baubles they have some help up front.

I was hoping it would be.

Tiny baubles, in the wine?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is off thread topic(not that I give a fuck or anything)but, how 'bout all that production from the second rounder, eh? Big difference maker he's been, right?

Broyles, he's really stepped up too. And that Pettigrew, talk about a first round TE that was worth it! Reggie Bush, that dudes great, can't imagine the Lions without the restructures it took to bring him in. Hard for me to pick my favorite kicker of the year also.

Fuck Mayhew, right in his fuckin ear.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not talking about his stats. I'm talking about watching him play.. His size and movement skills are unique. If the OC can't figure a way to get the most out of him, then shame on him.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again I will say the OC is trash. He is copying the saints offense like color by numbers. Everyone has already seen the Saints offense for 5 years and has game planned for it. The guy brings nothing new to the table. The only reason the Saints O is still powerful is because Brees is about ten times the QB Stafford is.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brees is about ten times the QB Stafford is.

As are Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Rivers, Luck ..... you simply don't see those guys overthrowing, underthrowing, throwing behind guys, etc. like Stafford does.

Yeah, the O-line has been hurt and has sucked, the running game is non-existant, and Stafford has been sacked a lot. I wonder, though, how many sacks are due to Stafford holding the ball due to confusion with the new offense and not progressing through his checks quickly enough.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As are Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Rivers, Luck ..... you simply don't see those guys overthrowing, underthrowing, throwing behind guys, etc. like Stafford does.

Yeah, the O-line has been hurt and has sucked, the running game is non-existant, and Stafford has been sacked a lot. I wonder, though, how many sacks are due to Stafford holding the ball due to confusion with the new offense and not progressing through his checks quickly enough.

A lot. Same with the O-Line not picking up blitzes well. Lions have reportedly cut out 20% of the playbook this week in order to focus on the major issues with the offense. They want to spend more time improving their execution of the core offense. It could make a difference. Maybe get us just enough offense to put us over the top. We will see this weekend.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot. Same with the O-Line not picking up blitzes well. Lions have reportedly cut out 20% of the playbook this week in order to focus on the major issues with the offense. They want to spend more time improving their execution of the core offense. It could make a difference. Maybe get us just enough offense to put us over the top. We will see this weekend.
Who reported it? And why would it help....Just less film or scheme the Patriots would have to watch.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who reported it? And why would it help....Just less film or scheme the Patriots would have to watch.

Right on the official website. They would be better at the remaining plays because they would not be wasting practice time on the rest. More practice equals better execution.

How in the hell would the Patriots know what we are cutting out?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old Lion, I found your percentage report to be true. Google is a wonderful thing if ya got 10 seconds.