• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Topic Lounge

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Joe had some health issues the last couple of years.

Tomcat, Joe and his chicken wing. :thumb: When we moved here from Philly I ditched Ritchie Allen and Johnny Callison and became a Senators fan. Not even 10 years later Short is going to move them. About that time a 19 year old catcher came along. I had serious man love for Johnny Bench and then the Reds. Bench, Perez, Rose, Morgan ... I guess the real old version was Helms, May, Rose, Bench, Tolan, Perez, Concepcion and McRae. Joe was my 2nd favorite behind Bench. What a ball player.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tomcat, Joe and his chicken wing. :thumb: When we moved here from Philly I ditched Ritchie Allen and Johnny Callison and became a Senators fan. Not even 10 years later Short is going to move them. About that time a 19 year old catcher came along. I had serious man love for Johnny Bench and then the Reds. Bench, Perez, Rose, Morgan ... I guess the real old version was Helms, May, Rose, Bench, Tolan, Perez, Concepcion and McRae. Joe was my 2nd favorite behind Bench. What a ball player.
I love these stories you share. Also tomcats. Such memorable times.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is one. One of my two best friends since age 11 texted me today. His family was from Pittsburgh originally and he was a Pirate fan. We would argue back and forth which team was better. Both were good in the 70s. He texted I saw that Joe Morgan died and memories of us when we were kids came back. We had a good time texting and teasing each other.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is one. One of my two best friends since age 11 texted me today. His family was from Pittsburgh originally and he was a Pirate fan. We would argue back and forth which team was better. Both were good in the 70s. He texted I saw that Joe Morgan died and memories of us when we were kids came back. We had a good time texting and teasing each other.
I never followed baseball much. But I can appreciate greatness regardless. So sad to lose so many excellent players in this shit Covid year. End of a true era of baseball greats. Rip

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From what I understand Joe suffered for quite awhile with a nerve condition but I don't know the medical name for it. I'm not sure if this was the cause of his death or not.

I'm impressed with all of these baseball names from the past you mentioned. I remember every one of them and I was fortunate enough to meet several of them during spring training games in Florida. During my lifetime 'The Big Red Machine' might be the best baseball team I have ever seen and Johnny Bench is definitely the best catcher I have ever seen and met.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank you! I'll admit it, I'm a sports-a-holic and there is no cure for it. My claim to fame is getting a couple of hits off Bob Gibson in an intersquad game in spring training but that didn't get me an all expense paid trip to St. Louis to spend the season in Busch Stadium.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm so old I remember Richie Ashburn.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I understand Joe suffered for quite awhile with a nerve condition but I don't know the medical name for it. I'm not sure if this was the cause of his death or not.

I'm impressed with all of these baseball names from the past you mentioned. I remember every one of them and I was fortunate enough to meet several of them during spring training games in Florida. During my lifetime 'The Big Red Machine' might be the best baseball team I have ever seen and Johnny Bench is definitely the best catcher I have ever seen and met.
A very good friend of mine (actually the younger brother of the guy I mentioned texting me about Joe) played for Catholic and they trained very close to the Reds in the spring. I remember him telling me some stories about them. That would have been 78 or 79.

Like you I loved baseball. LOL, I remember Richie Ashburn also ... as an announcer. I think I was 5 when he retired.

I remember a lot of the Eagles from the early 60s too. I mostly missed Chuck Bednarick too. Sonny was still in Philly when we moved. I always said he followed us. LOL

You are correct about Joe, he did have a nerve condition.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A very good friend of mine (actually the younger brother of the guy I mentioned texting me about Joe) played for Catholic and they trained very close to the Reds in the spring. I remember him telling me some stories about them. That would have been 78 or 79.

Like you I loved baseball. LOL, I remember Richie Ashburn also ... as an announcer. I think I was 5 when he retired.

I remember a lot of the Eagles from the early 60s too. I mostly missed Chuck Bednarick too. Sonny was still in Philly when we moved. I always said he followed us. LOL

You are correct about Joe, he did have a nerve condition.

We haven't even mentioned Joe Morgan's 20 year broadcasting career on Sunday night baseball and the many awards he won for his broadcasting ability. He knew the game so well that he could tell us in many cases which pitch the pitcher would be throwing on his next pitch before it was delivered.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drama take pace of actual knowledge.

Spot on about Joe, he knew the game so well he often correctly forecasted what was coming next. I always liked listening to him for that reason and well ... just because it was Joe.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that originally...way back when...I was a part of posting lots on this thread for exactly this appeal :)

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that originally...way back when...I was a part of posting lots on this thread for exactly this appeal :)

What is this all about . . . . . with you beating my buddy sportster with WTF +3 when you only needed +2 to win the bet? I know he still leads you 2-1 and you know that I'm just messing with both of you.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is this all about . . . . . with you beating my buddy sportster with WTF +3 when you only needed +2 to win the bet? I know he still leads you 2-1 and you know that I'm just messing with both of you.
I forgot all about that! Thank you for reminding me so I can make a BIG fuss!!!

Happy Dance! I win this week!!!!! He gave me an extra half point...cuz he felt bad for me likely...he was 2-0. Now 2-1. I'm working my way back to .500

@Sportster 72 you must BOW to my Queenly predictive greatness!!!! Hee hee :dance: :humble::dance:

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot all about that! Thank you for reminding me so I can make a BIG fuss!!!

Happy Dance! I win this week!!!!! He gave me an extra half point...cuz he felt bad for me likely...he was 2-0. Now 2-1. I'm working my way back to .500

@Sportster 72 you must BOW to my Queenly predictive greatness!!!! Hee hee :dance: :humble::dance:

You said "I'm working my way back to .500"

That sounds good enough to me to win this WTF division even though 6-10 will probably win it.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because DRAMA sells and creates many posts!

Contending team sites don't have as much DRAMA because they don't have to.
The maximum effective range of an excuse is 0.0