• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Workouts

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Quiet debut season for 49ers' rooks?
3:59PM ET
San Francisco 49ers

CSNBayArea.com's Matt Maiocco doesn't expect the San Francisco 49ers' rookies to have much of an impact during the 2012 campaign. However, he does think that second-round pick LaMichael James has the best chance to contribute.

"I'm still of the opinion that Kendall Hunter is the 49ers' second-best running back behind Frank Gore," he said. "But the 49ers would not have selected the dynamic James if they did not envision a role for him as a rookie."

On the other hand, Maiocco thinks their first-rounder may not even be active on game days.

"I find it difficult to believe that first-round pick A.J. Jenkins can supplant Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss or Mario Manningham to find a steady role as one of the team's top three wide receivers," Maiocco said. "So it might be difficult for him to earn the right to put on a uniform as part of the active 46 players on game days."

As for how Moss has looked after taking a year off from the NFL, here's what ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter had to say Friday:

- Tom Carpenter​

Adam Schefter
Analyzing the top WR duos in the NFL

"So far he has looked great ... But it's July, not November. The challenge for Moss will be looking and acting great over the course of a full season. He hasn't been able to do that recently, but everyone knows the type of player he can be when he wants to be. Moss should produce for San Francisco. But so should Michael Crabtree, Mario Manningham and A.J. Jenkins. Still, the season likely rests with QB Alex Smith. If he can improve on the way he played last season, watch out for the Niners. If not, it will not be easy for San Francisco."

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor has it... Los Calamities are venturing for SF in November......

Word on the street is.... they be eyeing that Bear game......

don't tweet this!!!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
expectations are obviously very high.

IMO we have to be a LITTLE cautious taking last year as the starting point.

Really? Why do you feel that way?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
expectations are obviously very high.

IMO we have to be a LITTLE cautious taking last year as the starting point.

I think our Saints game was higher than we can expect this year's opening. I think the NFCC game was lower than we can expect coming out this year. So I would build my expectations on how we ended the regular season to start, hoping to improve to the Saints game level by the playoffs next year.

I am not worried, but know that we should be better at the end of the season theoretically than at the beginning and we can't overall be better than we are, so to start with too high of expectations might be too much.

Having said that, none of this is quantifiable. I always go into every game assuming we have what it takes to win and should win. I have temper myself when we lose, of course.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brandon Jacobs' role for S.F.
2:36PM ET
Brandon Jacobs | 49ers

The New York Giants were unable to provide a suitably high offer for bruising RB Brandon Jacobs this offseason, and he fled to the San Francisco 49ers, joining a stacked backfield that also includes Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and -- after the draft -- LaMichael James. So where does Jacobs fit in?

In the view of Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area, Jacobs is the front-runner for the short-yardage role, though he will have to hold off the competition in training camp.

In his preview of 49ers training camp, ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando wrote that the addition of Jacobs puts Anthony Dixon's roster spot in jeopardy:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mike Sando
May be the end of the line for Dixon

"Jacobs' arrival suggests Dixon must step up his game significantly to stick on the roster -- and will probably have to demonstrate special-teams value as well. He won't be able to compete with Bruce Miller or Rock Cartwright in that regard."

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Really? Why do you feel that way?

because i feel last year things went our way.......all the way to the Saints game. right off the bat we didn't sustain a lot of injuries.

i DO feel we have a good team, but its not 13-3 good.

to address adding players to the offense................we don't know how they'll do till they actually play together, so i'm not jumping too far ahead.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because i feel last year things went our way.......all the way to the Saints game. right off the bat we didn't sustain a lot of injuries.

i DO feel we have a good team, but its not 13-3 good.

to address adding players to the offense................we don't know how they'll do till they actually play together, so i'm not jumping too far ahead.

I understand what you are saying, Deep and I agree with your statement that: "last year things went our way". Having agreed with that sentiment, however, it should be noted that few teams win 12+ games without some luck.

All teams go through the same 4-phase cycle from:

Bottom/Rebuild phase to
Transition/Rise phase to
Peak/Maintain phase to
Transition/Fall phase

We are solidly in the transition/rise and could hit peak phase this year or next. That isn't to say we will win more games but we should be a better team.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I understand what you are saying, Deep and I agree with your statement that: "last year things went our way". Having agreed with that sentiment, however, it should be noted that few teams win 12+ games without some luck.

All teams go through the same 4-phase cycle from:

Bottom/Rebuild phase to
Transition/Rise phase to
Peak/Maintain phase to
Transition/Fall phase

We are solidly in the transition/rise and could hit peak phase this year or next. That isn't to say we will win more games but we should be a better team.

there's no such quantifiable thing as "typical amount of injuries", or "average amount of injuries", but if there was one......we both agree the 49ers were 'very good'.

so now if we drop down to Average amount of injuries, will we still be a better team than last year?

btw - i agree Tranistion/Rise phase, but you asked why we should be careful not to start with last year, and go up from there? ie why i feel we shouldn't use last year as the baseline.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone seen the highlight NFL.com chose for their #1 of the top-20 games of 2011? (Saints vs. 49ers) It was Colston's catch over Culliver - Not Vernon's catch - Colston's catch - wtf?

NFL #1 of the top 20 games of 2011 (Saints vs. 49ers)

Edit: I just noticed there are several clips available from the game - including Davis' catch. Sanity has been restored.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got my 49ers patriots tickets. Sure cost a lot for them, but it will be only the second time I have gone to see a 9ers game.