• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Targets: Tyler Bozak, TOR C

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
UFA Primer:

This year is an ATROCIOUS UFA pool. There's zero elite talent. The only players that would have met that criteria in my opinion were all re-signed during the season (Perry, Getzlaf, Semin).

Your top end guys available as UFAs are: Ribiero, Elias, Clarkson, Dupuis, Jagr, Ryder, Boyes, Iginla.

All the big names are pretty old. Elias, Jagr, Iginla.

Note:

This means that spending big money this year is going to be a recipe for disaster. It's the perfect storm of Age, Over-Payment, and Declining Stats.

I highly recommend the Devils retain Elias and Clarkson. In fact, it's IMPERATIVE THEY DO. Clarkson is still young. Elias had another good season.

REASONS TO ADD TYLER BOZAK (TOR, Center)

- In a year of older UFAs, Bozak is only 27.

- Bozak has had a solid last three seasons playing for a bad team. His stats are still improving.

- Bozak can play in all situations, including SH and PP.

- Bozak is a shootout machine. Going 7 for 12 over the past 3 seasons.

bozaks.jpg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a solid 2way player..and entering his prime.

Those shootout numbers (although a small sample size) make me want him.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hopefully he won't be insanely expensive either. I feel like $25 over 5 should definitely get him, but then again Toronto can pay anyone, anything.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still hoping for Jagr. He's old but he's always working out and he's the first person to enter the practice facility and the last to leave. And he's still a very productive player.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Bozak and I believe he and Clarkson will be the 2 most sought after free agents. I think he could wind up being very expensive, but the guy is a player for sure.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the devils dont need another 2 way center. while he might have some upside i would rather not spend the money and chance it. just sit tight then. he isnt going to solve the devils problems. also the team is kinda already deep at center.

zajac/kingslayer/loko/gionta i also am hoping that they will draft a center this year. who if he doesnt play this coming season should maybe get a look next season. giving bozak a 5 year deal doesnt make sense. they need a top line winger for kovalchuk.

i know thats what the market dictates but giving a guy 25 million for 5 years and hes never hit 50pts?

shootouts were a big issue this year but the guy is far from convincing that hes clutch. i also think if the devils open up the rotation outside of the usual 3. they might find the team has some forwards that can score too

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the devils dont need another 2 way center. while he might have some upside i would rather not spend the money and chance it. just sit tight then. he isnt going to solve the devils problems. also the team is kinda already deep at center.

zajac/kingslayer/loko/gionta i also am hoping that they will draft a center this year. who if he doesnt play this coming season should maybe get a look next season. giving bozak a 5 year deal doesnt make sense. they need a top line winger for kovalchuk.

I kind of agree with this. Again, I like Bozak but is he really much of an upgrade from Clarkson? I think somebody will overpay for Bozak.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
well thats the thing too maybe cause im getting older and money becomes a priority lol but 5 million is a lot of money for someone like bozak or clarkson for that mater. like i said if its the going rate so be it. let someone else over pay for them. save the money for a player later in a trade.

making the move just to make a move will only hurt down the road if we do try and trade for a player like say (example) perry and his cap hit.

clarkson/bozak arent game breakers or game changers. thats what this team needs the most

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WE also don't know who will become cap casualties with the buyout. Some better options may become available. I'd rather see them try to work a deal with a team that is strapped against it with teh cap or looking to rebuild (Vanek would be great and he's been rumored to be available)

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WE also don't know who will become cap casualties with the buyout. Some better options may become available. I'd rather see them try to work a deal with a team that is strapped against it with teh cap or looking to rebuild (Vanek would be great and he's been rumored to be available)

This is really what I'm hoping for and is the biggest wild card. There are a lot of teams that are going all in this year and will be forced to sell guys for pennies on the dollar. Look at Chicago after their last cup win. Versteeg, Campbell, Byfuglien, Ladd, Niemi etc. all walked or were traded.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Personally, I think we need to keep adding centers until we find one that works with Kovy.

Also, we're "hypothetically" strong at center. Loki, Kingslayer, and JJ are still pretty much unknown quantities.

Last edited by a moderator:

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The two best scoring wingers are Elias and Clarkson. :|

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah i agree we need a center that can work with kovy. which im hoping the draft will solve. elias is on the 2nd line. clarkson 3rd line or off the team. i dont want to see him on the 2nd line or the 1st pp again!

the cap buyouts and trades should be interesting for sure